Home General Discussion
Options

Whiskey Drinkers - what pairs well with it?

I've been trying to pair up sticks with my Knob Creek Whiskey, so far fairly unsuccessfully. I've mainly tried maduros but think I need to move toward habanos. Either way, I'm having fun trying though. Any suggestions from those in the know? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    I pair a lot of my habanos and criollo with my scotch I love...alberlour abunduah cask strength...only scoth to ever get a full 100pt rating from the spirits company and total wine sells its for 49.99.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I'm a bourbon guy, love it. Knob isn't typically one of my go to's but its a good bourbon. Its a closer to full bodied and has some nice spiciness to it. I'd definetly go with a stronger peppery sweet cigar. MoW Ruination, Tatuaje, Any full bodied DPG, My Father Le Bijou all come to mind as good pairings.
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    I have a 12 yo Glenfiddich that I only take out on special occasions but damn does it pair well whin any mild sticks. I havent tried a Full str one with it yet but I am sure I will soon. Another that paired decently was Dalmore. How large of a bottle is that one youre talking about Joey?
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Yep, pretty much +1 to what everyone is saying here - a nice hearty habano with some spice is what I like with whiskey/bourbon. I usually stick with Woodford Reserve or something like that (about as pricey as I am able to go) and pair with a MOW, DPG original (blue) etc. I've never paired a Carlos Torano 1959 Silver (more of a medium but it has some spice), but I just got the inspiration to try it! I'll report back as soon as I get a chance.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like something with some peppery spicieness to it when I'm pairing it with my favorite scotch seems to go well with the peat taste of the scotch. IMO
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    I really like something with some peppery spicieness to it when I'm pairing it with my favorite scotch seems to go well with the peat taste of the scotch. IMO
    I second that. Peaty scotch like Laphroaig or Lagavulin go great with my sticks, which are mainly mild to medium bodied. Had Man of War Virtue with Lagavulin few days ago. Worked out great.
  • Options
    crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Pendleton Canadian Whiskey neat,rocks or with a splash of Coke goes with a Casa Magna Colorado or Padilla Miami.And it goes for less than $20 at my local total wine and more.Macallan French Oak Reserve and an Oliveros Eight Zero or Havano Claro.I honestly try not to put too much though into it.the right buzz from a couple of my favorite drinks and any decent cigar go together in my book.
  • Options
    kevin1323kevin1323 Posts: 294
    Heavy:
    Yep, pretty much +1 to what everyone is saying here - a nice hearty habano with some spice is what I like with whiskey/bourbon. I usually stick with Woodford Reserve or something like that (about as pricey as I am able to go) and pair with a MOW, DPG original (blue) etc. I've never paired a Carlos Torano 1959 Silver (more of a medium but it has some spice), but I just got the inspiration to try it! I'll report back as soon as I get a chance.

Have you tried the Maker's Mark 46 yet? It is definitely a step up from the regular (which I think is a great product.)
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Whiskey tends to pair well with handcuffs for me...
  • Options
    kevin1323:
    Heavy:
    Have you tried the Maker's Mark 46 yet? It is definitely a step up from the regular (which I think is a great product.)
    No I have not but I'll keep an eye out for it. I enjoy the regular MM myself.
  • Options
    cabinetmaker:
    LOL!!
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I prefer Habano, Criollo, or Cameroon wrappers with my bourbons. I think maduros are okay, but I like coffee with those and Connecticuts. I find that smooth caramely bourbons and scotchs really help taper off the spice from the spicier cigars and keeps the palate a little bit more fresh. Sip cautiously and let it work those taste buds
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Last time I had some bourbon whiskey I paired it with a tat conjou 2003. Went very well.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Best pairing I know of is Booker's Bourbon with a Cromagnon Knuckle Dragger. They were practically made for one another (given the amount of Booker's the Chief enjoys lol)
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    The islay scotch whiskeys (Caol Ila, Lagavolin, Ardbeg, etc.) have a distinctive iodine/salt taste and aroma because they are aged near the sea. This perfectly compliments the peppery cigars.
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    cabinetmaker:
    Pro Tip: Tape the bail money to the bottle before you start drinking.
  • Options
    kevin1323kevin1323 Posts: 294
    docbp87:
    Best pairing I know of is Booker's Bourbon with a Cromagnon Knuckle Dragger. They were practically made for one another (given the amount of Booker's the Chief enjoys lol)

Booker's is good but STRONG. Maybe it says something about me, but I have a hard time with 2 fingers of Booker's.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Most people are on the same line of thought as me, fairly full-bodied smokes with some peppery spices and flavors that really dominate. MOW, MOW Ruination, 5 Vegas Miami, DPG Blue, San Lotano Habano all pair well with whiskey. I stay away from the softer, more subtle flavored cigars since whiskey is so strong itself.
  • Options
    kevin1323:
    docbp87:
    Booker's is good but STRONG. Maybe it says something about me, but I have a hard time with 2 fingers of Booker's.
    Bookers is by far my favorite bourbon, tons of flavor. Some of my favorite pairings are Padilla 1932, and Alec Bradley Tempus. Gotta have something full bodied with bourbon, especially Bookers. That stuff is rocket fuel.
  • Options
    Duke2Duke2 Posts: 393
    I myself like a full bodied stick with my bourbon. Tonight I am having a Ave Maria St. George Habano Belicoso with three fingers of Blanton's Single Barrel. Nice way to end the evening.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I like a NON-peaty scotch with cigars... A clean Fiddich or Livet do well...

I also just had my first glass of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel that my local bar bought exclusively and it was a rich spicy drink... I'd like that with a cigar
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    cabinetmaker:
    oh man... I know that feeling all too well... my wife says whiskey makes me angry. I say NO, stupid people make me angry, whiskey just makes me more vocal about it. LOL!
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I like the spicier cigars with a good whiskey. Maduros have flavors that don't jive for me in a pairing, and Connecticuts get overwhelmed pretty easily.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    I like a NON-peaty scotch with cigars... A clean Fiddich or Livet do well...

I also just had my first glass of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel that my local bar bought exclusively and it was a rich spicy drink... I'd like that with a cigar
    Love single barrel. If u like that, give gentleman jack a try.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    Love single barrel. If u like that, give gentleman jack a try.

Are you confusing single barrel with small batch? Or am I the one who's confused? I believe Gentleman Jack is a small batch whiskey.
  • Options
    Heavy:
    kevin1323:
    No I have not but I'll keep an eye out for it. I enjoy the regular MM myself.

I'm going to be looking out for some of the MM 46 also - I'd love to try it. The regular Maker's is a tad lighter-bodied for my taste. It's understandable, being a wheated bourbon, but I prefer a little more body. Maybe the 46 will have it.
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I just tried Maker's Mark 46 and it's really great. Definitely more body than the original.
  • Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JudoChinX:
    I just tried Maker's Mark 46 and it's really great. Definitely more body than the original.
    I love Makers 46!

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    Guys, without intending to we've sorta hijacked this thread from it's original question - namely, what cigars pair well with certain whiskeys. We should take the conversation regarding just whiskeys to the non-related category, no? I'll start a new thread there and we can continue talking about one of my other favorite things...booze.
  • Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    Tonight I paired a Man O War Ruination with Aberlour A'bunadh (cask strength scotch)... tis a phenomenal match!