Home Ratings & Reviews

odd smoke

I tried a Padilla today. The Special Edition. Never had a Padilla but it started fairly spicy then lost all flavor. Tight draw plus I had to relight it twice within the first inch. By that point I started getting an old but familiar taste...CIGARETTES! WT...has anyone else had anything like this. It's been over 2 years since I had a cigarette but this was the flavor I remember.

now...the only consideration I can think of...it was sitting in my 3 finger travel humi for 5 days. I lit up a Padron since the Padilla wasn't working, it was a tad different in flavor, a little lighter than usual but burned and drew a tad easier also. I wouldn't think it was the storage so much since both had different issues.

Comments

• TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Haven't had a cigar that tastes like a cig yet. The only Padilla I have had is the obsidian special edition. I think Mech mentioned this one the other day and I am kind of his mindset. I have had quite a few and they are a difficult draw, but I like 'em... They start a little slow, and then got a little peppery and finsihed up a little more leathery

I assume you have been using the travel humi for awhile.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I'm not a huge fan of the Obsidian. However, I am a huge fan of the 1968. Haven't tried the Special Edition. Is that the Achilles?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The Achilles and Obsidian are both special editions actually. Personally, I am a fan of the Obsidian, granted it's not my favorite Padilla.
  • If it was the Obsidian then that is why, those things always burn wrong and have a horrible draw IMO. And if you were drawing hard to try and smoke it, it probably turned the taste bitter and harsh. The Obsidian is a huge let down for me.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I've caught that cigarette like taste a couple of times. It comes from relighting and not purging the cigar in my experience. Before you relight blow through the cigar, then light then blow through again.

Did you purge this guy at all Andy?
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    I purged...and it wasn't the tightest draw. Just didn't seem like it wanted to burn or smoke.

OK, looking it up it was the Obsidian. Cut it dead since I didn't get very far into...any one ever do that, then let it rest more. Or should I just toss it?
    Just toss it. I would never put a cigar I'd smoked back in the humi. Even if you cut it off it'll never taste right and it could ruin other sticks.
    gotcha
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    def toss it--- i tried that not with the humi but with bags-whether it was in my head or not i thought the few sticks in that bag tasted charcoally ---hows that for a word!!!
    as good as gone...such a waste. I do have the Achilles, I will let that one rest a while then give another try for Padilla.
    Try the '68, Andy. That's their best, IME. (Disclaimer: I haven't tried their other anniversary editions, or the Achilles, though I do have some of those resting.)
    urbino:
    Try the '68, Andy. That's their best, IME. (Disclaimer: I haven't tried their other anniversary editions, or the Achilles, though I do have some of those resting.)
    Have you had the Miami?...IMO better than the '68, though the '68 is darn tasty.
    I will look those up sometime. I want to try this Achilles before anything else.
    It's a tasty smoke Andy, I like it.
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    Have you had the Miami?...IMO better than the '68, though the '68 is darn tasty.
    Never had it. Not sure I even knew it existed. Is there some kind of law that says every cigar maker must produce a cigar called "Miami"? Influence of the Cuban-American lobby?
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    Never had it. Not sure I even knew it existed. Is there some kind of law that says every cigar maker must produce a cigar called "Miami"? Influence of the Cuban-American lobby?
    Perhaps. Though I think this one has such a name due to it being manufactured in Miami, as opposed to Central America.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    This is disappointing! I have 4 of the Obsidians sitting in the humi that I was really looking forward to. I guess I will let them sit and rest a LONG time and hopefully they will be better with some age on them. Maybe 6mos+ will do the trick, I'll try one then. I hope I have a better experience than I've heard on here. It will be my first Padilla.
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    Perhaps. Though I think this one has such a name due to it being manufactured in Miami, as opposed to Central America.
    Thats the reason most are called Miami. The Padill Miami and the 5 Vegas Miami are manufactured by DPG in Miami his Miami factory El Rey de Los Habanos.
  • madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    Thats the reason most are called Miami. The Padill Miami and the 5 Vegas Miami are manufactured by DPG in Miami his Miami factory El Rey de Los Habanos.
    IIRC Padilla Miami is no longer made in the DPG's Miami factory. I think they moved production about a year ago.
    jaytothen:
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    IIRC Padilla Miami is no longer made in the DPG's Miami factory. I think they moved production about a year ago.
    You sire are correct. I had forgotten about that.
    madurofan:
    jaytothen:
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    You sire are correct. I had forgotten about that.
    Another similarity... all the cigars called Miami (at least that I'm familiar with) are very tasty...Padilla Miami, 5 Vegas Miami, Tatuaje Miami...mmm mmm good.