Home Cigar 101

Trouble with my humidity.

I always seem to have a problem with keeping the humidity above 60 in my boxes. I've used gel, beads, and nearly every other commercial way. The only thing that appears to work it soaking a cedar block every day or dampening a paper towel and putting it in. This of course makes the cigars sweat a little after a while. Any help?

Comments

• The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    dragoncolonel:
    I always seem to have a problem with keeping the humidity above 60 in my boxes. I've used gel, beads, and nearly every other commercial way. The only thing that appears to work it soaking a cedar block every day or dampening a paper towel and putting it in. This of course makes the cigars sweat a little after a while. Any help?
    Hmmm thats not good, I dont mean to be questioning, but are you sure your Hygrometer is functioning properly, have you performed the salt test? Since you said humidors(s) I'm assuming more than one hygrometer. I was also going to suggest performing the whoosh test or dollar bill test on your humidors.. Where you been Col?? I'm a Captain myself. If youd like more info you could do a search with those subjects or give us some more info and theres many brothers here alot smarter than me (I just say that, helps with their self esteem) who can help
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    +1
    Test Hygro first - salt test - 6 hour minimum - 24-36hr better.
    Dollar bill and flashlight test the quality of your humi seal on all sides

• skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    +1
    Test Hygro first - salt test - 6 hour minimum - 24-36hr better.
    Dollar bill and flashlight test the quality of your humi seal on all sides

+2
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I think he's gone..maybe will see him again in bout two years for post # 2.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Another question - did you season your humidor before putting it into use? If not, that could be causing this, as the humidor will be soaking whatever humidity is available into the spanish cedar in an attempt to stabilize itself.

Im guessing its either that or a poor seal.

• skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    Another question - did you season your humidor before putting it into use? If not, that could be causing this, as the humidor will be soaking whatever humidity is available into the spanish cedar in an attempt to stabilize itself.

Im guessing its either that or a poor seal.

It could be time to re-season the humidor as well...
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    I don't quite know if I have a problem with my humidity.....My humidity dropped from 70 to 65 in one day and is holding firm...is there a reason for this, packs running out of gas (7 weeks old), seal is good on the box and temp is holding at what is was before the Humidity drop. Any thoughts?
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Hmm . . . The packs should last about 3 monts if you are using the no-refill type. Have you recently added several cigars? That will cause the RH to drop. Any other changes? If not you might try a salt test but a drop and then stability seems to suggest that this is not the case. I guess if all else fails you could always toss in an extra pack.
  • What percentage packs are you using? If they are the 67's they may have just stabilized and will hold. 65% is a good humidity to keep, so as long as it stays there I wouldn't worry much.
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    I bought the 69 thinking the may last a little while longer and there would definitely be a noticeable change in the % when I needed to change the packs. I did recently add several new sticks to the humi so that may be the issue. It is still holding at a firm 65 for the past couple of days now.