Home Cigar 101

Cigar Education

A few years ago I was deployed with the Army and got into smoking cigars, when I got home my passion sort of fell by the wayside.  I am back again and this year for Christmas my wife did a little research on line and got me a humidor and some Macanudos.  In doing the research she went on a few forums and a gentleman from California actually took it upon himself to send me and my platoon some of his favorite cigars.  We are all very grateful to say the least.

Here lies a fairly complex series of questions:  His favorite cigar is a Hoyo de Monterrey - Governors - Candela.  How do I break this down to know what it means?  I am clear that Hoyo d Monterrey is the maker but that is where I get lost.  I would like to find him some of these because he says they are hard to come by.  I see here on Cigar.com that Hoyo de Monterrey has three Governors in stock but have no real idea what a Governors is or if any are a Candela.

Any advice on where to learn the breakdown of these and other cigars would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    That was very generous of him. To be very simplistic, you are correct Hoyo de Monterrey is the make (to use a car example this is like Chevrolet, General Cigar makes Hoyo so they would be like GM) - Governors is the model (to further the car example this would be like a Malibu). The Candela is the type of wrapper leaf on the cigar(sticking with the car example its like saying this is the 4 cylinder model instead of the V6).

Candelas are very rare any more once upon a time they were the most common wrapper on cigars sold in America now they are next to impossible to find. They are easy to spot as the are green. In some cases BRIGHT green. If you are unable to find this particular cigar I would recommend sending him some A. Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8 Candelas. Similar cigar, great price and much easier to get your hands on.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    So thats what Candela means...learn something new on here everyday...
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    madurofan:
    If you are unable to find this particular cigar I would recommend sending him some A. Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8 Candelas. Similar cigar, great price and much easier to get your hands on.
    And very tasty.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    If you are unable to find this particular cigar I would recommend sending him some A. Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8 Candelas. Similar cigar, great price and much easier to get your hands on.
    And very tasty.
    I'll 2nd that! I had my first 8-5-8 Cadela a while back and was VERY impressed! Very sweet and tastey smoke. MUCH better than I expected. I was expecting a "grassy" taste but didn't get that at all. I will be getting more of these when I get the room!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    camacho puts out a good candella.