Home Cigar 101

Humidor gasket?

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
So a week ago I picked up yet another humi off CL. I have been having real good luck doing this and have scored several nice ones - but this may be my first dud.
It's nice and heavy, and well made humi, with thick cedar inserts on the interior.
It had not been used for 5+ years apparently.
It failed the pre-purchase dollar bill test badly - but I figured at $20, it was worth the chance that maybe the cedar would expand enough after seasoning to close the gaps.......it's hasn't.

So, before I turn it into my "bar caddy", I was thinking of putting some sort of gasket all the way around - but haven't been able to find a suitable material.
I'm not sure traditional "foam" weather-stripping type gaskets will work - seems like too much air would get thru....or no?
Looking for more of a rubber type gasket.
Any suggestions/links greatly appreciated.
Thanks
ps - I already tried building up the edges with masking tape..........no luck.
<br.

Comments

• grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    The foam may work, but how bad is the gap? From my understanding, humidors will naturally let some air in and out for circulation. Are you sure it is not sealing at all? It sounds like it is a deep gap, so I would probably go with the foam. JMO.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the smallest D-ring weather stripping will work.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Maybe try aquarium sealant? Non-toxic, no fumes, and it's water-proof - I use it to seal my coolerdor/wineador
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    xmacro:
    Maybe try aquarium sealant? Non-toxic, no fumes, and it's water-proof - I use it to seal my coolerdor/wineador

Agreed, this would be the best option next to weather stripping...and depending on how the inner seal is the weather stripping might not be an option or would be very difficult to do
  • If it's just the lid leaking, some blue masking tape around the lip will fix it. Cheap and easy.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Well..........I totally over-estimated the build quality of this "humidor" - I was fooled by the weight - equating weight with quality...........I tried several different solutions - no luck.
    This thing is now my bar caddy (holds wine openers, small cutting board, mini cleaver, matches, dice, coasters, can opener, ash tray, lighter, napkins, wine corks, etc.

As a humi it was a POS.
    But it turned out to be a decent, nice looking $20 bar caddy.