Home Cigar 101

Tupperdors and beatles.

gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
Could plastic be more resistent to bugs? Considering the wood itself holds humidity creating a damper enviorment where as plastic does not. Reason I ask is here in the South west we have swamp coolers which dont really work. I cant get my tupper below 75-80 and never had any bugs. Or am I just lucky?

Comments

• i think bugs are a overated concern if you have a good quality stick shouldnt be much of a issue but im pretty sure i have read somewhere on here about people doing the freezer thing to kill the beetles
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Gurkha Man!:
    i think bugs are a overated concern if you have a good quality stick shouldnt be much of a issue but im pretty sure i have read somewhere on here about people doing the freezer thing to kill the beetles

I just cant do the freezing thing. I know its tried and true but my instinct tells me its not good for the oils. But ya I dont buy cheap bundels or questionable brands so maybe thats the reason.
  • now is 75-80 the humidity or temperature?
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Gurkha Man!:
    now is 75-80 the humidity or temperature?

Temp, rh is always 64-67.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    gaberox:
    Gurkha Man!:
    now is 75-80 the humidity or temperature?
    Temp, rh is always 64-67.
    That's your ticket right there... If your sticks get up over 100*F and your humidity is low, Beetles won't hatch, they need the magic combo of both.... Keep that Rh down and you should be better off than most (I'm not saying they CAN'T hatch at those Rh's, but it's less likely, if your Rh SPIKES, then freeze them suckers ASAP! I had a humi with BEADS that was a perfect Rh and for two days it got over 100*F in the humi and about two weeks later I noticed holes in a cigar
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Make sure the tupperdore is breathing as well, the air can get rather stale in there so be sure to at least open it once a week and then it gives you a chance to check on the humidity/temp readings...68/67(t/h) is what mine usually reads and that is right where I want it