Home Cigar 101

Box purchase storage question

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
Lets say I was to buy a box, for example,the La Perla Habana Morado Robusto on today's DD.
I have no room for these sticks currently, but will in a week or two.
What would be the best solution to "store" this box for 2 weeks or so:
1) Leave it closed in a cool place in my house
2) Open it, toss in a humicare pillow or 1 oz bead tube, and close it again.
3) Find a tupperware container big enough for the box, insert the box and toss in a humicare pillow or 1oz bead tube in the tupperware separately from the box

Thanks.

Comments

• Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Preferably #3...but if it comes sealed I wouldn't worry too much as 1-2 weeks(esp when you wont get this for 5 days after shipping so they will really only be out a week+shipping) isn't a large enough time to do any un-reversible damage to the cigars. I don't think the box will have enough room for a bead tube, but it might. Keeping them cool, out of direct sunlight, and hidden is a good solution.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am at max capacity right now, so I currently have 3 boxes in a large 2 gallon zip-lock bag with a 65% Boveda pack. It works quite well for a quick solution and maintains a perfect 65% RH. The Boveda pack has been in that bag with various boxes and samplers for 3-4 months now and still has plenty of life in it!

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    dbeckom:
    I am at max capacity right now, so I currently have 3 boxes in a large 2 gallon zip-lock bag with a 65% Boveda pack. It works quite well for a quick solution and maintains a perfect 65% RH. The Boveda pack has been in that bag with various boxes and samplers for 3-4 months now and still has plenty of life in it!
    Excellent! Thanks for that idea - think that's going to be my short term fix - except I;ll use one humicare pillow and maybe the 1oz bead tube as well just to be on the safe side.
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    Go with number 3. 1-2 weeks out in the open (options 1-2 even with a humi pillow thrown into the box) will kill those sticks. I had this same problem come up about a year ago when I got into this. I got a tupperware container that was just big enough to fit in the box along with a humi pillow. It worked great. I "burped" it once a week to get some air flow going through as well. As soon as I got my coolidor up and running I put the box right in there. No problems with the sticks drying out. Hopefully this or the ziplock bag trick will work for you.
    Rob
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    dbeckom:
    Excellent! Thanks for that idea - think that's going to be my short term fix - except I;ll use one humicare pillow and maybe the 1oz bead tube as well just to be on the safe side.
    I did this for a lil bit, and it worked great. But one box leads to more, and I learned that a Coolerdor is Great for boxes.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i got an old ice chest just like brand new a gott) cleaned it out with mild soap and use the crumbeled up newspaper way for 3 days to eliminate the plastic smell, which wasnt much to begin with) and added an extra span. cedar tray and several of the dividers from other humis and smells great like a humi and added some boveda paks and its holding right at 70% going to use it for boxes
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    jj20030:
    i got an old ice chest just like brand new a gott) cleaned it out with mild soap and use the crumbeled up newspaper way for 3 days to eliminate the plastic smell, which wasnt much to begin with) and added an extra span. cedar tray and several of the dividers from other humis and smells great like a humi and added some boveda paks and its holding right at 70% going to use it for boxes
    I bought my second cooler specifically to store boxed gars.