Home Cigar 101

Coolidor question

d-robd-rob Posts: 61
Getting ready to set up my first coolidor and was wondering if I should try to get the paper off the boxes I have or if the paper can stay on. Any suggestions.

Comments

• skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I really don't think it hurts at all to leave it on. I just throw the boxes in my fridgeadors and with the beads, I haven't had an issue yet.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    d-rob:
    Getting ready to set up my first coolidor and was wondering if I should try to get the paper off the boxes I have or if the paper can stay on. Any suggestions.
    I leave them on. I just create a little incision where the opening to the box is, and that creates a neat cut that looks great (because, let's face it, those labels are pretty).
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    They are fine, leave 'em.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    And dont forget to post pics of the finished product!

• Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    skweekz:
    I really don't think it hurts at all to leave it on. I just throw the boxes in my fridgeadors and with the beads, I haven't had an issue yet.
    Did he say fridgeadors? As in plural fridgeadors ?
    Lakota72:
    skweekz:
    Yes he did my friend - man is an out-of-control maniac. :-D

The Sniper:
    Lakota72:
    skweekz:
    Yes he did my friend - man is an out-of-control maniac. :-D

Sorry for the delay in response (I'm at the beach)....but yes, there are two. Pics to follow upon my return!
    As promised...a couple of pics of the fridgeadors. They're both fully operational, being filled slowly but surely. Many thanks to The Beard for some killer deals to help fill them up!

Open...

Closed...
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Should coolidors be setup vertical or horizontal, or does it matter?
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    Should coolidors be setup vertical or horizontal, or does it matter?
    Doesn't matter... As long as you keep 'em safe
    Thank you.
    Does anyone have pictures they would be willing to share? I'm looking for ideas.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Photobucket

An old one of mine.
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/252821.aspx

Thats a link to Coolidorasausur. If you're thinking about building a coolidor, whatever else you choose to do with it, go AS BIG AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN. You will be surprised how quickly it fills up.

The Sniper:
    If you're thinking about building a coolidor, whatever else you choose to do with it, go AS BIG AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN. You will be surprised how quickly it fills up.

A big +1 to that!
    skweekz:
    As promised...a couple of pics of the fridgeadors. They're both fully operational, being filled slowly but surely. Many thanks to The Beard for some killer deals to help fill them up!

Open...

Closed...

What is the lowest temperature that cigars can be safely be stored at.
    RBeckom:
    What is the lowest temperature that cigars can be safely be stored at.

I'd like to point out that both of these are unplugged. I stripped the top one of the compressor and electrical components, so it's basically a cooler with a door. The bottom one COULD be plugged in and used, but it's not. I keep them in my dining room right near the air conditioner so temp has not been an issue. A pound of 65% beads in each keeps the rH spot on.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I have been waiting to start my coolerdor, just waiting until winter when I have a few more cigar boxes and the warden is a little more receptive to the smoking 'thing'
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    stephen_hannibal:
    Photobucket

An old one of mine.
    ?Its Christmas in the coolidor!!

Photos of the desert coolidors and poor man's bead pucks.

Everyday cooler for refilling the reinforced traveldor!
    Daily Humidor
    Reinforced Traveldor
    50 count
    Aging humidor and Box storage
    Box Humidor 2
    Poormans Beadpuck!
    Copenhagen Puck
    Awesome brother! Are those the ones you have with you, or the ones you left in the desert, or both?

• DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    are you kidding me? I consolidate them all to one cooler, insured that bad boy for 5K and sent them home! It is the only thing I mailed home that took them a week to figure out how to do the paperwork. It is also the only thing that took less than a week to make it home... I guess insuring that thing for 5K really peaked some interest. I left the other one with the Chief I left in charge of the DCCC.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Ended up getting a 48qt cooler for $19, already did a light wash with some dish soap and it completely removed the plastic smell. I'm going to use baking soda in it sealed for the next 4-5 hours and then if it's ok drop some boxes in there. Any other recommendations on how to keep it up to snuff? I plan on using 2-6oz of gel beads as that's all I currently have and the humidity doesn't swing bad enough here to make a big difference.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    see below,lol
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Ended up getting a 48qt cooler for $19, already did a light wash with some dish soap and it completely removed the plastic smell. I'm going to use baking soda in it sealed for the next 4-5 hours and then if it's ok drop some boxes in there. Any other recommendations on how to keep it up to snuff? I plan on using 2-6oz of gel beads as that's all I currently have and the humidity doesn't swing bad enough here to make a big difference.
    got my 48 with a couple boveda packs and staying at 68% , cleaned it out when i got it going with mild soap then added some fresh newspapers in there for about 3 days before i filled it, put an extra large span. cedar tray on the bottom , put boxes up on top and some divideers in there and smells great with my boxes , going to add some singles in the tray and yes its almost full already,lol