Home Non Cigar Related

Football hits

GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
Can anyone tell me what was wrong with the eagles hit on Sunday? The MNF commentators were saying that was the most egregious hit but did not say why. There was no helmet to helmet it was just a huge hit.

Comments

• Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Goldy did you see this hit? May not have been direct helmet to helmet hit but it was def. a very high hit and the defender lead with his helmet. Dangerous for both players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmsAdwm7LHQ
  • meriweather put on a pretty good hit on todd heap this past week...now they are looking at least a fine and proally a suspention which would be costly for the pats
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    ctremblay187:
    meriweather put on a pretty good hit on todd heap this past week...now they are looking at least a fine and proally a suspention which would be costly for the pats

There were a Bunch of Crazy hits this past week both college and Pros.Drug test them All!
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Goldy----Its flag football now remember? No more hits to knees, head, ankles, shoulders, using helmets, ect. You also have to determine while in the midst of a play if a receiver is defenseless, and then tackle him accordingly.

I am all for the NFL stepping in on these concussion issues and other head injuries, and even understand their best intentions are at play here----but ya gotta let em play too. These guys arent getting paid millions to play chess, and they didnt get to this level from thinking it was hand checking in basketball....lets find a little happier medium here league, or just let certain guys wear the red jersey.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I think the last redesign of the NFL helmet was back in the 80s? With today's technology, you would think they could design a better and safer helmet for today's players. But that hit on Sunday was rough, leading with the head is a very idea no matter what kind of helmet you're wearing.

"Long ashes my friends."

Actually, Riddell did a new design a decade or a little less ago if I rememeber correctly, its the new kinda helmet with curves in it and not the solid circular shape. There are also a few companies that do stuff inside the helmet, but I think its a player or team preference for that.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wow what a hit. ... didnt catch that live.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Nice hit. Glad he's okay. Who's Jackson's back-up?
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
    Vulchor:
    Goldy----Its flag football now remember? No more hits to knees, head, ankles, shoulders, using helmets, ect. You also have to determine while in the midst of a play if a receiver is defenseless, and then tackle him accordingly.

I am all for the NFL stepping in on these concussion issues and other head injuries, and even understand their best intentions are at play here----but ya gotta let em play too. These guys arent getting paid millions to play chess, and they didnt get to this level from thinking it was hand checking in basketball....lets find a little happier medium here league, or just let certain guys wear the red jersey.
    Granted it's not basketball or chess, it's a rough sport. There is something to be said about players who actually do go out to hurt people. Not saying that this was the case here but think that this is what the league needs to address as the problem. They are trying to take a proactive approach to stop the serious injuries. I would agree that we need a happy medium, let them play, and hopefully that will happen.

Understanding that these plays happen in split second time we can not expect that this will be cut out completely. That being said this type of performance is expected time and again from not only sports figures but many other professionals out there on a daily basis. People have to make split second decisions that will make a difference and can even cause harm to someone. It's no different then that as they are being Monday morning Quarterbacked by everyone and their mama. Difference here is that it is high profile because the games are televised and the injuries are becoming more frequent. The crazy thing was when the analysis said that he put money away at the begining of the season because he knew he would get fined by the league....COME ON MAN!!!!
    I agree, but the mentality of the players also needs to be understood. Its millions of bucks and win at all (or almost all) costs. What better way to disrupt a route with a receiver and a QB than having a guy afraid to make that catch across the middle?? Not defending it, but its taken as part of the game and a way to get the upper hand on an opponent the same was as any other preparation and advantage would be.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    I agree, but the mentality of the players also needs to be understood. Its millions of bucks and win at all (or almost all) costs. What better way to disrupt a route with a receiver and a QB than having a guy afraid to make that catch across the middle?? Not defending it, but its taken as part of the game and a way to get the upper hand on an opponent the same was as any other preparation and advantage would be.
    as in a psychological game....
    i was on my HS soccer team when i was younger. my coach told me that the first time the biggest player from the other team challenged me make sure to get VERY physical with him. take him down. and, if possible, make him hurt... try to do it legally but try and do it.
    the rest of the game i would have the upper hand. people would think im **** crazy and they wouldnt challenge me. it worked. i was considered one of the most dominating defenders in the league.

seems to me that this is about the same thing.
  • pnaylonpnaylon Posts: 214
    You know, people can talk about how violent rugby is all day, but you get thrown out if you don't lead with your shoulders and wrap up. That's why most rugby injuries are dislocations and sprains--you can't fling your armor-clad body at someone and snap their legs in half.

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    That hit to me didn't look as bad as the hit Mayweather gave. The Mayweather hit seemed like more of a cheap shot and an attempt to hit helmet to helmet, but what would you expect from someone that plays for the Patriots...
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    That hit to me didn't look as bad as the hit Mayweather gave. The Mayweather hit seemed like more of a cheap shot and an attempt to hit helmet to helmet, but what would you expect from someone that plays for the Patriots...

BaZing!
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Well it looks like they did not fine that guy. Did anyone see if there was a penalty on that play and if so what it was for? I was working. :(
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    In most cases, the hits could be delivered to the midsection with just as much force and very nearly the same effect (sending the message that if you wanna come over the middle, expect to take a huge hit Mr Receiver). However, the guy doesnt end up with a scrambled brain for the rest of his life.

Being a Bears fan, I love a huge hit more just as much as the next guy. But there is a difference between laying someone out and affecting them for the rest of your life. Im sure Mike Singletary, *** Butkus, et all would tell you if you asked that at no point were they ever trying to cripple anyone.

Goldy:
    Well it looks like they did not fine that guy. Did anyone see if there was a penalty on that play and if so what it was for? I was working. :(
    It was a 15 yard per. foul for hitting a defenless recv. I bet he's still hurting and I could use his backup for my FFL but no such luck. They did send out a few other fines this week tho
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    So lets hear it guys,, Jets or Texans?
    .. Im going with the underdogs and picking the Texans..
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Texans. I think that new D of theirs is gonna be nasty! Which sucks for me since we play them twice a year. Oh well....GO TITANS!
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    The Jets have no O line depth and the Texans have nasty D depth!
    Yea you called this one.. Texan D looks solid.
    As much as my head is telling me to pick SD , Im going with Dallas, I think after last season Jerry Jones has kicked some ass and they (Dallas) are going to make a statement this season.
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Just turned the game on. Two of my best friends grew up in Texas. That's all I hear, Dallas this Dallas that. One of them even named his son Dallas. I get tired of hearing about em. Can't stand em, hope they dont do **** this year.
    amz1301:
    Just turned the game on. Two of my best friends grew up in Texas. That's all I hear, Dallas this Dallas that. One of them even named his son Dallas. I get tired of hearing about em. Can't stand em, hope they dont do **** this year.
    LOL,, I used to hate them with a passion. But something happened bout 8 years ago where I started liking them. Probably had to do with one of my best friends loving them and it rubbed off on me. I like SD too but not a big fan of Norv Turner.
    The Kid:
    amz1301:
    LOL,, I used to hate them with a passion. But something happened bout 8 years ago where I started liking them. Probably had to do with one of my best friends loving them and it rubbed off on me. I like SD too but not a big fan of Norv Turner.
    Well, dont know what happened to BIG D last night. Some dropped passes, and missed opportunnities, I have to say Philip Rivers looks real good. Tonight Im going with the Bears, I know it just pre-season but I hope the Giants get stomped, Dont Like Eli, Dont like Coughlin, and Dont like the NY Giants.
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Gotta go with Da Bears tonight. Eli's a big baby. I saw Tony Siragusa ask Eli a question on the sidelines either before the half or after the game and Eli kind of blew him off. Siragusa's my man, I was hoping he'd smack the big baby around a little.
    amz1301:
    Gotta go with Da Bears tonight. Eli's a big baby. I saw Tony Siragusa ask Eli a question on the sidelines either before the half or after the game and Eli kind of blew him off. Siragusa's my man, I was hoping he'd smack the big baby around a little.
    I would of loved to see that, I like Tony big time..

Lotta talk bout top 5 quarterbacks,, Heres How I rate em
    present day

Tom Brady,
    Peyton Manning,
    Drew Brees,
    Philip Rivers
    Aaron Rogers

Retired

Joe Montana,
    Terry Bradshaw,
    Dan Marino,
    John Elway,