Home Cigar 101

The final 1/4 inch of cigars

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
A couple questions regarding the final 1/4 inch of the cigar. 

1.  I often see this referred to as the bitterest part of the cigar.  Is this due to it burning real hot at the end or something else?  I have had many cigars that I can smoke to the nub...is this simply because them burning cooler or due to the mix or tobacco?

2. I also see this referred to as the strongest part of the cigar....most nicotine...is this true?

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Tobacco turns bitter when it overheats, and the heat that builds up, plus tar and oils that build up in the nub cause it to burn hot, and as such... bitterness. This can be prevented by smoking slower. Smoking slower has nothing but advantages as long as the cigar doesn't go out. The flavors are more defined, no bitterness, nicotine is less potent, harshness is lessened... oh, and your cigar lasts longer.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Do you really mean 1/4 inch? If I ever got a cigar anywhere near to a 1/4" nub I'd be pulling no flavors from it at all. Maybe you mean the last quarter of the entire cigar?
  • ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    Do you really mean 1/4 inch? If I ever got a cigar anywhere near to a 1/4" nub I'd be pulling no flavors from it at all. Maybe you mean the last quarter of the entire cigar?

yeah I was just thinking this through....probably meant the last inch or for less precise purposes the end of the cigar..
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still pretty inexperienced but I've noticed that the really spicy full gars tend to turn bitter the soonest. I'm assuming this is because of more tar in the tobacco. I recently had a Don Lucas that was so good I smoked it till I just couldn't hold it in my fingers anymore.
  • grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    Rhamlin:
    I'm still pretty inexperienced but I've noticed that the really spicy full gars tend to turn bitter the soonest. I'm assuming this is because of more tar in the tobacco. I recently had a Don Lucas that was so good I smoked it till I just couldn't hold it in my fingers anymore.
    Lol, Ricky, I do the same thing with the Don Lucas.
    Rhamlin:
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol Hi there brother.
  • willso7willso7 Posts: 156
    granneja:
    Rhamlin:
    +1
    Willso, you have had Don Lucas? Which one, the White, Red or Black?
  • willso7willso7 Posts: 156
    granneja:
    Willso, you have had Don Lucas? Which one, the White, Red or Black?
    The red and the black one.
  • I can't remember where I read this, but when I get down to the nub, I start to blow out the cigar every other draw or so. That clears some of the bitterness and usually helps to keep the heat out of my mouth on the subsequent draw. Also, the smoke that gets blown out smell absolutely great. I'm not sure why the smell is so aromatic, but I love it.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    velvet bulldozer:
    I can't remember where I read this, but when I get down to the nub, I start to blow out the cigar every other draw or so. That clears some of the bitterness and usually helps to keep the heat out of my mouth on the subsequent draw. Also, the smoke that gets blown out smell absolutely great. I'm not sure why the smell is so aromatic, but I love it.
    I've heard this too; some sort of mini purge.
    The red was god. I think that was a Sumatra wrapper. But the black is my favorite by far.
  • I tend to really enjoy that last bit of cigar...even the bitterness! I kind of look forward to it...
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    JudoChinX:
    velvet bulldozer:
    I can't remember where I read this, but when I get down to the nub, I start to blow out the cigar every other draw or so. That clears some of the bitterness and usually helps to keep the heat out of my mouth on the subsequent draw. Also, the smoke that gets blown out smell absolutely great. I'm not sure why the smell is so aromatic, but I love it.
    I've heard this too; some sort of mini purge.
    Purging helps with keeping the bitterness at bay, but as mentioned before, I think prevention is the best method to avoiding bitterness at the end (smoke slow).