Home General Discussion

Cool Video

Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
As you guys know we are doing more and more video content. We shot this clip on ring gauge and it's impact on flavor with a very cool experiment that really illustrates it visually. Thought you might enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK1B-56P7lE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Comments

• BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Very cool vid. Used to blow my buddies minds when I'd do that with a cigarette... No way in he!! I'd do it with a 60rg cigar though... Very impressive Josh!
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I love how he made Josh put the lit end of the cigar in his mouth. Alex's pallette is like gold. You can't risk it on such a dangerous experiment. I bet he gets Tim to pre-chew his tortilla chips for him too ;)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    that is a great explanation of a fundamental concept in blending and tasting.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    great video Alex, I will take into account the things u said when I smoke my next corona.

"Long ashes my friends."

• JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Good video! I havent smoked many coronas but I did just get some MOW PA's and will do some fine tuning and see what I like best.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    Watched it yesterday. It was great, I never really thought of that having an effect. Keep em coming Alex.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    To be honest I never considered the smoke velocity when smoking. I only factored, smaller rg, more influence the wrapper would have in the overall taste. Definately some more things for me to consider and experiment with. I would like to hear some thoughts on belicosos and chisels and how those tapered ends also affect the taste,,As in funneling more smoke into a concentrated output. I have also heard this is why guys use a punch vs cutters,, to created more of a focused effect???
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Fantastic video. Keep em' coming Alex. Super informative. I can't get enough.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    I have also heard this is why guys use a punch vs cutters,, to created more of a focused effect???

I use a punch because I always end up spitting out small bits of loose tobacco all the time I'm smoking one that I've used a cutter on. I find it annoying.

I'll smoke those pointy-ended things but whenever possible I'll still use my punch.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    The Kid:
    I have also heard this is why guys use a punch vs cutters,, to created more of a focused effect???

I use a punch because I always end up spitting out small bits of loose tobacco all the time I'm smoking one that I've used a cutter on. I find it annoying.

I'll smoke those pointy-ended things but whenever possible I'll still use my punch.
    that is exactly why i used to punch everything. now i punch very little. the wider draw seems to have peaked my interest.

my 10k post contest will probably include a punch.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Perfect timing. I find myself prefering the corona vitola in some of the blends I wanted to re-visit. For example. I had an AF Gran Reserva Maduro in the Corona Imperial (on recommendation by a BOTL). Before I had the #50. As much as I loved the #50 the Corona is now my preference.
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Wow Alex, really great video. I love me some edumacation!
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    BigT06:
    Very cool vid. Used to blow my buddies minds when I'd do that with a cigarette... No way in he!! I'd do it with a 60rg cigar though... Very impressive Josh!
    Now it wasn't me but I've seen people do that with one of those special rolled herbal cigars. SHOTGUN !!!, Very interesting, nice video.
  • kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    Nice presentation! I went over these same point in my vid a few months ago and agree completely! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws950AsSMLE
  • wow very informational
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Anyone else feel dirty as you watched the thick white smoke billow out of the bigger ring gauge?

Shameful Shame Lassy, Shame