Home Cigar 101

cigar newbie

Where do I place the small round humidifier that came w/my humidor? It has an adhesive attached to a magnetic disk. The base of the humidifier is magnetic. Also, how much water goes in this device? In short, HELP.....
Thank you in advance

Comments

• BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Well ric, first welcome to the forums. I think most here would suggest not using the round disc humidifier at all and visiting a local shop where you can buy boveda packs, gel or beads in order to keep the humidity stable in the humidifier. You should probaly know that you will also need to season the humidor first. Boveda makes a pack for just that to make it simple. Again welcome.
  • ricrocericroce Posts: 2
    Thanks, I'll look into doing just that...looking forward to learning how to enjoy this new "hobby". It seems there is a ton to learn.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Bombay:
    Well ric, first welcome to the forums. I think most here would suggest not using the round disc humidifier at all and visiting a local shop where you can buy boveda packs, gel or beads in order to keep the humidity stable in the humidifier. You should probaly know that you will also need to season the humidor first. Boveda makes a pack for just that to make it simple. Again welcome.
    +1 on this,, if you need to use the puck in the interim, be sure you use distilled water....very important,,oh and it adheres to the inside of the lid
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Welcome to Cigar 101, prepare to learn
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I second the gel or beads...those pucks can be a pain if over humidified and then grow mold. How big is the box? Usually you can stick it to the inside of the lid. Distilled water is what you should use.

Next you'll catch the buying fever! Seems like if there is a deal to be had....I can't help but to click "buy"! Then you'll run out of space...purchase a new humidor or build cooler...and the process starts over again! I know some who have the "deal fever" and purchase way more than they smoke! I'm just say'n.

Welcome to the Asylum!
  • grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    Welcome to the forum. I have used the gel jars and they have worked well for me.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcometo the forums, there is a wealth of info here but yeah get rid of that puck as soon as you can eventually it will start growing mold I replaced mine with a puck of beads and it works great. But I went cheap and didn't get heartfelt I think they may hold moisture better. And absolutely season the humi before putting your sticks in it or it'll suck all the moisture out of them.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I have to echo what everyone else here is saying: get beads. They're better in every way. Also, welcome!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ricroce:
    Where do I place the small round humidifier that came w/my humidor?
    in the trash. its worthless. get some humidity beads or humidity gel instead. way better. worth the investment.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jr_p951:
    Welcome to the Asylum!
    uh... wrong forum.

HA!
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, and go buy a cooler.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    kuzi16:
    ricroce:
    in the trash. its worthless. get some humidity beads or humidity gel instead. way better. worth the investment.

+ 10
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    kuzi16:
    ricroce:

Ya, solid advice right there. Wish I'd have learned that sooner when I got my first humi.
  • deanmaydeanmay Posts: 1
    So several posts that say the humi should be seasoned, but I'm not seeing any info or link on how to do that.
  • AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Posts: 648
    Try downloading the file on this page....

Click Here
  • grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    Wipe the interior down with a damp rag of distilled water. Do not puddle it. Then put you humidification device in and or a small bowl of distilled water. Let the humidor set until your RH hits 75 or 80 percent for several days. Once the humi is stable then you can add cigars.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    granneja:
    Welcome to the forum. I have used the gel jars and they have worked well for me.

I have also had good results with the humi-jars. They are about the simplest way to get started. Just open and place in your humidor. I check and refill about every 45 days. It's that simple.
  • Looks like I should invest in some beads too! Glad I read this post.