Home Cigar 101

Specific model of humidor question

MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
Anyone have experience with a Lauderdale End Table Cigar Humidor? I might be getting one from a local BotL and would like any input/suggestions regarding it.

Thank you,

Marker.

Comments

• grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    Looks like a nice unit. I was looking at one this past January. A word of warning if it is a QI humidor, check all of the finished sides and look at the seal. Sometimes they have some issues. I encountered some issues caused by shipping on mine. There were some issues with the finish as well that were probably from the factory that they dressed up with what looks like shoe polish. My recommendation is to look it over because it is not a small investment.

On another note, are you thinking of getting an oaisis humidifier? I have a Geneve with one, and two additional small fans and it works great. You can set it to the specific RH and it will keep it there while circulating the air in your humidor. Just a thought since you are looking at that type of humidor.

• MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    The friend who has it now has been running it for 2 years. No issues and he would give me 2 humidifiers with it. Not sure what they are yet. It must have no QC issues if he has used it for two years already.

I hear a lot of talk about fans and such. Do I need to have a fan running in there if I have a humidifier on top and bottom?
    Glad to hear that it is in good shape, it must be a tremendous deal!

In mine, they only run when the sensor kicks them on to circulate the air. There is another option that allows you to keep them on all the time. I don't think it is absolutely necessary to have fans, but I liike the idea of circulating the humidity from the top down to the bottom and then back up. It really all depends on the type of humidification.

In mine I have a Humicare gel container in the bottom and the oasis in the top rack with the fans in the top rack. I use the bottom as my aging section for bulk sticks and the top for the singles. It seems to have worked well so far and I keep them in the 65-68% RH at 70 degrees. I think beads are in the future though.
    I am also thinking about getting a pound of beads just to help regulate the humidity better. It is a 1000ct humidor but I don't need 4lbs of beads to run the whole thing. Just enough to keep a better balance. Is that what you are doing with the gel?
    Thats exactly what I have been using it for. My next step will be to get beads, as you are thinking of doing. When you are storing a bunch of cigars in a box, i figure it has to help keep the wood and the cigars in good shape. Mine holds a constant RH and does not seem to skip a beat. It even keeps it after the lid has been open for a bit of time.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    After looking at some pics...I think bandyt09 has the same one! I was just over his house this weekend and was digging thru it. Shoot him a PM and he might be able to help ya or share some insight with ya.
    Sent one to him.