Home Non Cigar Related

Building a website?

Im in the mood to learn some html and the put together some sort of website. Anyone on the forms have exp. with website development? What editor to use??any tidbits would be nice Thanks

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Send Kalaeria a message, you can find a lot of his posts on the Ratings&Reviews section. He made his own and does a really good job with it.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Well the easiest is to look at domains, a lot of them come with templates to make it easy to build your own, or you could learn html/xhtml. Also dreamweaver is a great program to build a site, it's mostly visual and you don't really need to know code.
  • jeff_connorsjeff_connors Posts: 483
    I was thinking dream weaver but.... $$$$
    yeah, it is. I've seen some deals on it though. You could download the trial and see if you'd like it. other than that, I'm afraid the other two options are about it, well you could hire someone. web design isn't too difficult. There are several how to HTML/XHTML books out there that are relatively easy to use. I used one for a few classes I had and it helped. Weaver is just nice because it's all visual, then if you know code you can clean it up a bit. I do know if you want a basic site there are free places online you can use to help build it. google it, some might come up. I've always used notepad/dreamweaver and photoshop. dreamweaver was a godsend since using notepad takes longer.... lol
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    If the content is not going to be static and you are going to frequently update it, may I suggest a content management system? My favorite is Joomla, but there are tons out there (Wordpress, phpNuke, etc).
    What is great about CMS's is that they make it very simple to organize different articles and integrate forums and comments. There are also tons of free design templates out there, or you could go out and design your own template (which I would not recommend attempting at your level.)

If the content is static, however, a program like Dreamweaver is the way to go (at least as far as I know, since I haven't done any static websites.)
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I tried learning html, tried to design a website, but I don't make any money when my tablesaw is not running. So I decided to try it in the evenings after a hard days work....I followed all the instructions, did all the examples, but when it came time to add my stuff in, and take the example stuff out it never did work right.

Long story short, I never got it done, and the computer I had all the software I had bought on it was stolen along with $21K of tools little over a year ago. At the time I was actually using that computer as a doorstop. I think from now on, I'll hire that stuff out and stick to building stuff.

• TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    My brother built ours using web site tonight, it has a very basic straight to the point look. We've also been spending some money with google getting our site to come up further up the list, analytics and all of that stuff...I don't know too much about it. What did happen though is because we were further up the list Seth Godin happened to make a purchase from me and then mention me in his blog. Seth has the #1 marketing blog in the country. We ended up going from around 50 hits a day, too 3,700 hits one day. What he liked about our site is it wasn't too flashy, was to the point, and we appeared to be an honest family run business.
    Theedge:
    My brother built ours using web site tonight, it has a very basic straight to the point look. We've also been spending some money with google getting our site to come up further up the list, analytics and all of that stuff...I don't know too much about it. What did happen though is because we were further up the list Seth Godin happened to make a purchase from me and then mention me in his blog. Seth has the #1 marketing blog in the country. We ended up going from around 50 hits a day, too 3,700 hits one day. What he liked about our site is it wasn't too flashy, was to the point, and we appeared to be an honest family run business.
    that's good news, congrats.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I'm interested in building a website..which will be geared towards sales. Looking for the least cost. Anyone have any suggestions that they dont mind sharing? Thanks
  • djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    Dreamweaver = cough cough google " download dreamweaver torrent"
    djbeenie:
    Dreamweaver = cough cough google " download dreamweaver torrent"
    TY
    I honestly would stick to something like Wordpress. It's easy if you need to constantly update things.
    djbeenie:
    I honestly would stick to something like Wordpress. It's easy if you need to constantly update things.
    K, I'll check it out thanks
    You can check out my wordpress blog to get an idea. http://www.my-pcgeek.com/
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Shoot jbraslins a pm. He is an IT guy and is a great guy. I know him personally. Doesn't post much but is a stand up BOTL.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    So are you looking at HTML basic static info or backend on a MYSQL, and dynamic like PHP or even ASP? THe suggestion of Dreamweaver is really the tool that is great, you can use that in conjunction with a graphics tool like Fireworks. I use these tools all the time.
    The question also is is this a store or just informational?
    If this is a store I built my site off of oscommerce as a base, but then heavily edited it.
    I think the suggestion of wordpress or a blog is a good idea if you are posting info.
    The store site that I built is Garden Shop Online This is an example of a heavily edited oscommerce site.
    Thanks ShotgunJohn,, The concept is for a store.. I'll check it out,, Thanks for the info!!!