Home Non Cigar Related

Anyone collect pocket knives, or similar?

Greetings and Salutations!

I am a recent newbie to the world of cigars, and even newer to Cigar Forums.  But, I've spent over 12 years on a knife collectors' forum.

Recently I saw a thread over there where folks were commenting on their cigar preferences, and I was impressed with how many of the knife folks were also cigar folks.

I thought I'd see if it goes the other way, as well.

I've read some comments in some posts about knives, like the Gurkha Spec Ops package, cigar cutters, and other stuff, but nothing specifically addressing the collectibility of knives.

So, are there any folks who hang out here who are interested in pocket knives, swords, hunting knives, or the like?

I'll comment that my favorite KNIFE brands are Kershaw, Benchmade, William Henry and Spyderco.

(Cigar favorites are Rocky Patel, CAO, and La Gloria Cubana, as far as what I've actually tried more than once.)

Either way, I'm very impressed with the way this forum is run, and can see that there are lots of great people who hang out here.  I can just hope to become a BOTL (or BORK, as the case may be) and share in the knowledge available here.

Comments

• HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Daniel - great introduction, and you already know what a BOTL and BORK are - impressive! While I'm not really a knife guy, I think there are a few BOTLs here who are and will probably chime in.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Cool, Welcome,, Cant say Im much of a collector but have owned my share, anything from Ka-Bars' to Oldtimers, Had a couple old school Bucks, also like Gerbers..Take care and have fun.BTW Kershaw makes a good knife
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I have quite a few swiss army knives. My always with me is a Swiss Army Ranger. Otherwise I have a few multi-tools, a nice little spyderco, a few collectible Buck editions (but they make so many it loses the effect), a nice knife from MTuccelli and a few other odds and ends around the house.

Each of my kids old enough to handle a knife have been shown how to handle a knife and whittle a bit.
  • grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    Welcome! I am not an avid collector, but I do have a fair number of case pocket knives. Some limited editions and some with special handles.
  • I'm not a collector but I've carried the same pocket knife every day since my Grandfather gave it to me for Christmas in 1958.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    tincup703:
    I'm not a collector but I've carried the same pocket knife every day since my Grandfather gave it to me for Christmas in 1958.
    What an honor and a memory. Congratulations on one of the few every day reminders of your Grandfather that is truly useful and timeless.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Yep. I have a ton of knives of all shapes and sizes. Carry a Kershaw Shallot or Cold Steel Ti-Lite daily.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    If I have a nice pocket knife like a benchmade or spiderco in my pocket, i loose it in a matter of months. Now I keep a cheep Catseye and I cannot loose it if I try. Go figure.
  • Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    I'm a fan of Emerson knives. Very high quality.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    I have a Randall Made that my wide got me for christmas this year. Other than that I wouldn't say I collect them, but rather have a large group of knifes I use all the time.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I'm the same way. I have an auto assist from Columbia River Knife and Tool, that I carry everywhere, but I have 3 close at hand almost all of the time. Like in my wifes' car, I have 2. Just never know when your gonna need a good knife.
    One God, One Truth
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I collect bayonets. They all have rifles attached to them. My daily carry is a Kershaw Leek, nice easy to carry little folder.
  • Thanks for the warm welcome, all.:)

tincup703:
    I'm not a collector but I've carried the same pocket knife every day since my Grandfather gave it to me for Christmas in 1958.

That is truly awesome!  My dad has quite a few knives he has found over the years, and when they are passed along to me, they will be more valuable than gold. 

I hate to think about it, but most of the knives I have will outlast me, and I guess they will have value to my kids, someday.  But, I really enjoy my collection, and the process of finding the next one to add, in the present.  It can be an expensive hobby, to almost whatever extent you want to invest. 

This is similar to cigars, as I'm finding out.  I've started small, and relatively cheap, but am finding that quality comes at a price.  Luckily, I have a great Brick and Mortar that is very generous with their time and willingness to offer suggestions.  It also helps that the owner is quite generous and has monthly parties at the store, with ample opportunity to hang out and have fun.  I can see that it's going to be hard to balance my spending between my two addictions.

Daniel

• BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Welcome to the forum!

I'm not exactly a collector, but I have about 200-250 knives/swords. Not sure exactly cause I've never gotten them all out at once... but I do know that I have so many that I actually built a custom lock-top mini cabinet for them. Like I said, I don't purposly collect them, I just buy or trade for what strikes my eye, and I rarely get rid of knives unless they are as a gift.
  • Knoxca1:
    I'm a fan of Emerson knives. Very high quality.
    +1 to that. There's a Mini-Commander that never leaves my right front pocket. Rule #9, Fellas.