Home Cigar 101

300 ct. Humidor suggestions

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
I need to move back to a desktop humidor and get rid of my cooler. I noticed that ccom carries the Evanston Diablo 300 ct humidor. Does anyone own this badboy? Is it the same as the El Diablo? I found the El Diablo elsewhere for about $50 less but would prefer to give ccom my money. Are you combining beads with an active humidifier or just using beads/boveda packs? Does anyone have a recommendation for something in a similar price and size range? Unfortunately, I can't get a cooler. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    james40:
    I need to move back to a desktop humidor and get rid of my cooler. I noticed that ccom carries the Evanston Diablo 300 ct humidor. Does anyone own this badboy? Is it the same as the El Diablo? I found the El Diablo elsewhere for about $50 less but would prefer to give ccom my money. Are you combining beads with an active humidifier or just using beads/boveda packs? Does anyone have a recommendation for something in a similar price and size range? Unfortunately, I can't get a cooler. Thanks for your help.

////phone in and talk with one of the reps, and they can get you whatever you see (el diablo, etc.) for a great price (best out there!!)....anyway, I talked with Andrew about it a few months ago and you will be very happy with his price!!! go ahead, call them :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I did actually talk to him today but I can't afford the bigger Evanston on their site. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Just curious why move from a coolerdor to a 300ct. desktop (300ct. hardly seems "desktop" to me though LOL). A 100qt. cooler is obviously much cheaper to set up than a 300ct. humidor, and holds a lot more...
    Let's just say it's a battle I'm willing to lose in order to win the war, which will eventually equal a cabinet. Since the desktops are the same price as a smaller cabinet, that's where I'm heading.
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with doc on this one. Seems like a extra expense to downgrade. If anything just go to walmart and get a Rubbermaid plastic storage box for $6 and buy some more cigars! I've had many a humidors (2-300 counts fancy-shmancy cuban crafters,  multiple 40-ct, 60-ct, multiple 20 ct, 3-tier display and even two 28-bottle New Air wine fridges) and spent (read wasted) a ton of money on them.

I now use a large rectangle Rubbermaid container and it works like a champ. Best part is you can snag them for $6-$11 (depending on size) and grab some wet floral foam from there too (a lifetime supply of 4 huge bricks is $4) and you'll be good to go. I don't use beads or wood in my humi (other than 2 small super thin Spanish cedar sheets) for fear of the wood/beads sucking up the volatile compounds (oils) due to cigars hygroscopic nature. I've had flavor loss in the past that I attribute to beads and the hygroscopic nature of Spanish cedar removing oils after years of storage. Wood is also a bulldog in any swings of humidity causing the cigars to compete in a battle they can't win. 

Humidors look pretty and all but personally I'd rather have more smokes then spend a lot on humidors. If you must have a conventional humidor I'd go with the 3-tiered display humidor, you can move the 3 shelves up with the pegs and use the bottom floor as a 4th shelf. Keep the shelves flat and it will hold a TON of cigars from top to bottom.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    CAcigarguy007:
    I'm with doc on this one. Seems like a extra expense to downgrade. If anything just go to walmart and get a Rubbermaid plastic storage box for $6 and buy some more cigars! I've had many a humidors (2-300 counts fancy-shmancy cuban crafters,  multiple 40-ct, 60-ct, multiple 20 ct, 3-tier display and even two 28-bottle New Air wine fridges) and spent (read wasted) a ton of money on them.

I now use a large rectangle Rubbermaid container and it works like a champ. Best part is you can snag them for $6-$11 (depending on size) and grab some wet floral foam from there too (a lifetime supply of 4 huge bricks is $4) and you'll be good to go. I don't use beads or wood in my humi (other than 2 small super thin Spanish cedar sheets) for fear of the wood/beads sucking up the volatile compounds (oils) due to cigars hygroscopic nature. I've had flavor loss in the past that I attribute to beads and the hygroscopic nature of Spanish cedar removing oils after years of storage. Wood is also a bulldog in any swings of humidity causing the cigars to compete in a battle they can't win. 

Humidors look pretty and all but personally I'd rather have more smokes then spend a lot on humidors. If you must have a conventional humidor I'd go with the 3-tiered display humidor, you can move the 3 shelves up with the pegs and use the bottom floor as a 4th shelf. Keep the shelves flat and it will hold a TON of cigars from top to bottom.
    its not about cost. the issue here is the wife/girlfriend or an outside source. so you keep telling him about "options" that he cant take due to the complex nature of his argument relationship.
    i feel for you.

with a 300ct i would just go passive... or only beads. if it was a 400ct, i feel that the active humidification would be the way to go....
    at least as far as real wood humidors go.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I have the el diablo and got it for a great price from the beard and really like it. I do passive humidification in it and have had no issues. I rock the humicare gel bead rectangular humidifier in it and it keeps great rh. I originally ordered two with the humi and only use one of them with some of the beads out of it to keep my rh where I want it. I've salt tested a few times to make sure it's on point and it is. One thing though is it doesn't hold anywhere near 300 in my experience with it. I think I've managed to get around 180/200 in it. I'm also a big ring gauge hooker so that is a heavy influence on the numbers that mine reflects.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Do you want the presentable look of a desktop or just to get something classier than a cooler?...ever thought of the Havana Footlocker(only if the second part is true)?
    Thanks for the help and suggestions but Kuzi got it right. I can't get a cooler/tupperdore. I decided to just hold out until next year when funds will be available for something a little bigger than a desktop.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I have the El Diablo and love it. It only holds about 250 though.
  • I'm looking at purchasing the Salerno 300 ct humidor from Tampa Humidor. Does anyone have one and is it worth it?