Home Cigar 101

Need advice on storage of just arrived cigars

I just received a shipment of 10 Cohibas.   The arrived shrink wrapped in their signature box and inside each is in it's own metal tube. My question is, with the heater running in wintertime (we are in a fairly mild climate however) what's the best way to preserve my new Cohibas?  Should I simply transfer them right away to a humidor with the metal tubes intact?  I have yet to even break the shrink wrap on the signature box.  Help!

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    bobbyslam07:
    I just received a shipment of 10 Cohibas.   The arrived shrink wrapped in their signature box and inside each is in it's own metal tube. My question is, with the heater running in wintertime (we are in a fairly mild climate however) what's the best way to preserve my new Cohibas?  Should I simply transfer them right away to a humidor with the metal tubes intact?  I have yet to even break the shrink wrap on the signature box.  Help!
    Me personally, I would leave them in the metal tubes, caps on. They were packaged that way for a reason.. protect and preserve. Taking them out of the shrink wrap and box would be okay unless of course you plan to age them a longer time, don't plan on smoking them soon, and have an "Urbi like" cabinet thet can hold the larger box. Even in the shrink wrap and box I would feel safer with the sealed box in a 70/70 ( or close to it ) environment.
    If you like keeping them in the box, and don't have space in your humidor, place the entire box in a ziplock bag, with beads or pillows to keep it at a favorable condition. Just my opinion.
  • if the tubes have caps I would remove them. The tube should protect the wrapper better than cellophane, but I would want to equalize the humidity between my humidor and the air inside the tubes. I'm no expert, but I'm practical. think about it, but see what other people say.
  • My pattern is only to smoke occasionally so it's likely these cigars will be in my humidor for some time. Given that if I'm reading both kaspera79 and bangalohr correctly the better solution is to remove the sticks from their box, possibly remove the caps from the tubes and place them in my controlled humidor.  Once the humidity has stabalized replace the caps? sounds logical.

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    That should be just peachy, bobby.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I would recommend against breaking the seal of the tubes. If it were me, I'd put the entire box, with shrink wrap removed, into the humidor. To speak of practicality and logic, let me throw this one at you: If the cigars were meant to be stored outside of the tube or with the cap removed, why would they bother putting them in the sealed tubes in the first place?
  • I certainly agree on their intent, but reality is usually differrent. Just as no battle plan suvives contact with the enemy, no other plan survives contact with human hands. I wouldn't count on the humidity in the tubes being ideal. You can personally control the conditions the cigars are kept in if you open the tubes. Also, spanish cedar is chosen to, in addition to it's other properties, impart it's aroma to a cigar. maybe try a test. open one or two, and leave the others sealed. check to see if it makes a difference.
    I agree the tube should not be counted on for humidity retention, that is why I keep any tubes I have in the humidor. Call the rest personal preference if you will. I don't think it will greatly impact the cigars to open the tubes, all the same I don't think it hurts, or otherwise affects, them to keep them sealed in the tubes.

An experiment is due...where's Duty?
    I almost never buy tubos, so my experience with them is very limited. I've still got 4 of a 5-cigar sampler of La Aurora Preferido tubos I bought back in June, and I've kept them sealed. They're prettier that way, if nothing else.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    j0z3r:
    An experiment is due...where's Duty?
    I haven't had a tubo in years. I'll stick to playing with the pillows ;)
  • How long does it take for beads to raise the humidity up to its expected percentage, my Humidor calls for two ounces I now have had three ounces in it for three days now but it just doesn't seem to want to climb over 53% any help would be appreciated
    d_nowell:
    How long does it take for beads to raise the humidity up to its expected percentage, my Humidor calls for two ounces I now have had three ounces in it for three days now but it just doesn't seem to want to climb over 53% any help would be appreciated
    Now, please don't take this the wrong way, But, did you add the water to the beads. They do not come pre- charged.
  • Yes Ive added distilled water twice to the 2 ounce tube and once to the 1 ounce tube... Trust me Im taking nothing the wrong way at this point... Thanks I callobrated my hygrometer again just to make sure its accurate and it is about 1% low so thats not it
    Wow, do you have cigars in the humidor you are trying to bring up to proper condition, also is this a humidor that has not been used for a while. Often the humidor needs more help getting to 70 than the beads alone provide. Try a shallow bowl with a sponge and gently wipe the inside of the humidor with a cloth, I may be repeating things you already know, but I can't imagine what can be taking so long with no improvement.
  • No I havn't added Cigars yet, I was kinna scared to with this low of humidity. I have set the dish with the sponge in for a couple days and I have wiped it down, It is a brand new humidor so I understand it is gonna take a while... I put the 70% beads in it but like I said its on like 54% right now and has been there all day... The humidor itself I have had for like 3 weeks so it should be seasoned
    The only thing I can think of is tha the interior of the humidor is still too dry. Give it a thorough wiping down, put the bowl and sponge in there, along with the beads and stop checking for a couple days . There is always a humidity loss when you open the lid to check and you just can't get the level right when you constantly check it. Adding the cigars may raise the humidity level, but I would hesitate out of concern that the humidor will draw moisture from the cigars. ( that could be bad ) Let's see what others come up with later tonight.
    Your humidor may not have a proper seal. Have you tried the whoosh test or dollar test?
    Hey Doug, I just did a quick search and read that if you heat the water that you are using in a bowl or glass in the microwave it speeds the seasoning process up considerably. ( source : humidor-guide.com... under humidor preparation. Maybe that will help.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Also, if you drop it in a swimming pool for 30 seconds, that will drastically accelerate the seasoning process.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

dutyje:
    Also, if you drop it in a swimming pool for 30 seconds, that will drastically accelerate the seasoning process.

But only if its filled with distilled water....

dutyje:
    That or take it in the shower with you for about half an hour.
  • First thanks to all for the outpouring of info.  Now I have two other issues and could use some more expert advice.

Recently I purchased 2 Humi-care items.  A digital hygrometer and a Humi-care rectangular humidifier.  I followed the instructions for calibration of the hygrometer and soaking of the humidifier to the letter.  On the hygrometer I could not get the meter to get to within +- 3 of the 75% figure the instructions said would display. 70% was the best I could do but regardless the knob that is supposed to adjust that figure had no effect.  In other words I turn the knob, nothing happens.  I have since tried 4 times resetting the unit by removing the battery and starting over.  Same results. 

The rectangular humidifier was worse.  The instructions say to soak it initially for 12 hours in distilled water.  4 hours into the soaking process I checked the humidifier and the crystals had become so saturated and expanded the item actually came apart at the seams.

Again I need help here.  Thanks in advance.

• smokestersmokester Posts: 131
    I think with the hygrometer it wont change when you rotate the knob like it wont change on the display but going clock wise is going up so if you need to go up like two than just turn it clockwise to clicks i am pretty sure thats how they work than just salt test it again to see if it still off than turn it however much it is and re salt test it till you get it spot on hope this helps. Brian
  • Guys thanks for all the advice I do appreciate it... Ive done the woosh test it sounds good when it closes... What is the dollar test, Ive done the flashlight test. Maybe its just not seasoned good enough yet we'll see... Thanks again guys for everything!!
    smokester:
    I think with the hygrometer it wont change when you rotate the knob like it wont change on the display but going clock wise is going up so if you need to go up like two than just turn it clockwise to clicks i am pretty sure thats how they work than just salt test it again to see if it still off than turn it however much it is and re salt test it till you get it spot on hope this helps. Brian
    And make sure you push the reset button after adjusting it, or the change won't show.
  • Nowell: You might need to add more beads. I have almost 1/2 pound of beads in my humi and it took it forever to get to the proper Rh. If you have more sources to create humidity, then it should take less time. Also, how big is your humi?
  • Its a 100 ct., and thanks for the advice. Im starting to believe I do need more beads in it because Im recharging them like every other day and making sure they are full, but I just cant get it to climb to where it should be. Thanks again!!!!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dry weather, not enough beads, not enough cigars...

all lead to humidity fluctuations.

it may be that the humidor is not seasoned enough either.