Home Non Cigar Related

MMA Junkies in here

Comments

• ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Hayblet:
    ENFIDL:
    Hayblet:
    j0z3r:
    IF Shogun comes in the shape he came in for Shogun Machida II, he absolutely wrecks Forrest, no doubt in my mind. So assuming Shogun wins, he gets loser of Rampage Jones. If, otoh, Forrest wins, I'd like to see him matched with Machida, but would not hate seeing him fight the aforementioned loser. To me, Shogun should be nearing title contention with a win, but I don't know if Forrest should have the same consideration right now should he pick up the W, I'd like to see one more fight for him before he gets.into contender status.
    I had thought Rampage/Jones was a #1 contenders match (goin with Jones imo as Rampage is overrated), but don't count Forrest out for even a second as I think he gets underestimated a lot. I would think a win would put him into contention again, but you never know...
    Jones vs Rampage is for the title. Jones is the current LHW Champion. Forrest has beaten anybody of significance in awhile. His is on a 2 fight win streak but those were against Tito and Rich. Don't get me wrong I love Forrest but I think even if he beat Shogun again that he would still be atleast 1-2 fights from a title shot after the way he got wrecked by Rashad and Anderson.
    guess I need to get back into MMA again, been so damn busy gettng ready to move.
    It happens brother and at the rate that they are having fights it's hard to keep up when you're trying to....lol Where ya moving to? Is this a good thing? If so Congrats! If not I'm sorry man!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If you're moving, I'll need new info. Got a baggie of maple walnut baccy to send you. How much longer are you at the current addy?

As to the other thing. Forrest Griffin falls into the category of "what have you done for me lately?", since he got the belt by leg kicking Rampage he really hasn't done much of note. I'm not underestimating him or counting him out, but a healthy Shogun is the worst match for Forrest, he's an aggressive and accurate striker and Forrest has already been proven weak against that type of fighter, he just doesn't have the chin to stand up to the assault and he won't be able to do what he did to Rich Franklin. Can he win? I think he can, possibly, but the chances take a sharp turn down if Shogun comes in shape looking lean and mean. At this point, it's a game of wait and see, I'd like to see Forrest do well, he's a likable guy, but the reality is that I don't think he can hang with the top of the division.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Yeah they've been spewing fights out left n right it seems, I'll be "here" for at least another 2 weeks, and as to the move it's a good thing, finally getting a place with my GF Wink [;)] Hopefully soon I can get back on watching UFC/SF and start to be current on things again.
    That's awesome man, congrats!
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Report-Lytle-to-Retire-Following-UFC-Live-5-34732

Lytle is retiring after his fight tonight! Can't believe that. I'll miss Lytle he's always been a performer. 8 post fight bonuses is most impressive.
    I was reading that last night on BE. He will be missed, but I'm happy for him going out on his own terms. There's nobody quite like him at WW, it's a shame his UFC record will tell a tale to the uninformed that isn't near accurate.
    j0z3r:
    I was reading that last night on BE. He will be missed, but I'm happy for him going out on his own terms. There's nobody quite like him at WW, it's a shame his UFC record will tell a tale to the uninformed that isn't near accurate.
    He truly is one of a kind. As we know records don't mean anything when it comes to certain fights are he's one of them. I'm happy to see it isn't because he can't do it anymore but because he's ready to put others first. He's been one of my fav WW's of all time. Def gonna miss him.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    ENFIDL:
    j0z3r:
    He truly is one of a kind. As we know records don't mean anything when it comes to certain fights are he's one of them. I'm happy to see it isn't because he can't do it anymore but because he's ready to put others first. He's been one of my fav WW's of all time. Def gonna miss him.
    Least he's not gonna keep going like Chuck tried to... or Tito for that matter...
    So, 1/4 on picks. Happy to see Lytle win in decisive fashion. Henderson brought his A game, I honestly didn't think he was that good, but to do that to Jim Miller...Bang Ludwig was impressive too, he was a good test for sadollah and we found out just where Amir is at. Cowboy was on, that was a tough fight to pick on paper, but he took care of business.

On the undercard, I don't know much about Jared Hammond (sp?) but I'm glad he beat CB Dolloway.
    I'm really glad Lytle went out like that! To end on that kind of a high note is awesome. I didn't think Bendo was that good either. I'm really shocked by how much he handled Jim Miller. Amir has a lot of potential but I don't think he'll ever harnass it personally. He'll make a good middle of the road gatekeeper. Hammond was impressive from what I've read. I was at work so I missed the fights.
    With LW having such a logjam of top guys, I think it's high time the UFC staged an 8 man tourney over the course of 2 events. That would move forward a clear-cut title contender instead of the quagmire of guys who are, in the words of DW, "in the mix"...whatever that really means.
    Honestly I think it'd be the best thing they could do. It'd finally give us a clear cut ok here's how it is. Whoever wins get the next shot at the title after Maynard vs Edgar 3. Plus I think it'd make for some really exciting fights! But DW will never do it. He hates tournaments and the way that the SF HW GP is playing out he won't do it. He has talked a lot of sh*t about the GP and how it's falling apart and blah blah blah.
    Yeah, a man can dream. It would be an interesting scenario...the best guy wouldn't necessarily make it through, effective, decisive fights would be the key. But, like you say, the Führer wouldn't go for it...too bad, it would be the most exciting thing the UFC has done in years.
    Yeah we can dream which sadly will have to do :( I love that the best guy may not make it through personally. It would put some good people back in the middle of the road which would build some great fights down the road and help put a better pecking order out there that will last for awhile. It would be probably the most exciting thing in MMA in years. The fuhrer....I almost spit my tea all over my desk Joe!
    My work here is done.
    Time for some UFC 134 picks:
    Silva vs Okami: Silva
    Shogun vs Griffin: Shogun
    Nogueira vs Schaub: Schaub (wish he wouldn't but I feel like he's gonna be too much for Big Nog at this point in his career)
    Pearson vs Barboza: Barboza
    Cane vs Nedkov: Cane (although this is a hard pick for me, if Nedkov has his conditioning right he could easily win this)
    My heart says this:
    Okami
    Shogun
    Nogueira
    Pearson
    Cane

My head, on the other hand, says this:
    Silva
    Griffin
    Schaub
    Hard to say for sure, but favoring Barboza
    Cane (admittedly, I don't know much about Nedkov)

Key elements (in my mind): Can Silva get back to his feet quickly if/when Okami gets the takedown, or will he try and play the guard game?
    I don't think Okami will fall into the trap Sonnen did, his submission defense is superior from everything I've seen.

Can Okami withstand the strikes to close the distance?
    For his sake, I hope he has a gameplan for this. He appears to be a very durable fighter, I don't think I've really seen him in trouble as far as strikes go, but then again Anderson has made a habit of dispatching durable fighters...(Forrest with a fall-away jab?)

Which Shogun will show up?
    He always claims to be 100% healthy, but he looked a bit flabby at the weigh-ins, whereas his two fights against Machida saw him in damn good shape. I'd hate to see this turn into a repeat, especially with rumors of a nagging knee injury, but I guess we'll see.

Finally...will Big Nog be able to move better now that he's fixed up?
    I sure hope so, against Mir and Cain, his movement was pretty slow and limited. Then again, I don't know that it will really matter. Schaub isn't as good as he thinks he is, but he's good enough to beat Big Nog at this stage in his career, the guy has just taken too much damage.
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    Silva (I just hope for a competitive fight. I would hate for Silva to pull one of his flash KO's on Okami. But I don't think Okami will let his guard down)
    Shogun (even though I will be pulling for Griffin)
    Schaub (as long as he can keep it standing and hit Nog with some heavy punches. If it ends up on the ground I could see Nog pulling out another sub. win)
    Barboza
    Nedkov

Those last two picks are a toss up for me. Both fights, in my mind, can go either way. Hopefully it is a good night of fights. Starts at 6p.m. EST on Facebook, 7p.m. EST with Spike then 8:00 p.m. EST PPV.

Rob
    Well, I got the first one right. Nedkov with a TKO over Cane. The ref gave Cane every opportunity and alot of time to recover but Nedkov kept landing. Nice win!
    Well I was wrong on the Nog/Schaub fight. Nog with a brutal KO of Schaub. Schaub just wasn't moving his head enough and just stood there and took those punches. Good win by Nog. Nice to see on of the "old guys" win one.
    Rob
    Once again Anderson defeats a tough guy and makes it look easy. The guy must be from another planet, or he really is in the matrix. Glad to see Shogun perform well, I was worried that Forrest would be able to keep the range and fatigue Shogun. Big Nog was a badass, I was jumping up and down when Schaub face-planted.
    Anderson looked great. I don't think there is anyone out there that can defeat him at this time (at Middleweight). He is just on a totally different level than anyone else. I think Chael Sonnen will be his next opponent. I know Chael was a couple of minutes away from winning the title in their last fight but I don't think he will get that close the second time around.

Shogun looked like the Shogun of old. Very dominating performance. Forrest just didn't want to be there. He has even admitted that he didn't want to be there, didn't want to fight, etc. Even if Forrest came in 100%, with a clear mind and ready for a fight, I don't think it would have ended up any different except it might have taken Shogun in to round 3 to stop Forrest.

I'm not sure what to think of the Nog/Schaub fight. I thought Shaub should win this one. He needed to pressure Nog and hit from the outside. When Nog threw punches Schaub had no head movement. Nog didn't look good in defeat either. He got blasted a few too many times and was moving real slow. He did show some head movement at times, which really surprised me. I think we will find out, in his next fight, where he truly is at in the heavyweight mix. I don't think he has another title run in him though. It was great to see one of the "old guys" get a win though.

Rob
    Anderson was simply disgusting yet again. The man makes it look too easy. I think it's funny to hear people say he hasn't been tested. Dude has destroyed anybody put in his path. I truly appreciate watching him fight because we won't always have someone like this.

Shogun seemed gun shy but once he found his rythm wow. I feel for Forrest too. I hate that he wasn't completely there for the fight but even if so I still think the outcome would have been the same, a W for Shogun.

Loved seeing Nog knock Schaub out. Joe as you said Schaub isn't a good as he thinks he is and I think that's what cost him this fight. Nog looked slow but he'll def be a great gatekeeper to have around.

Anybody see where Dana is talking about trying to set up Ortiz vs Franklin? I'm really hoping that this one comes together. I think that'd be a great fight for them both. I'd def take Rich in that match up.

And one last thing. Rampage's spygate accusations. I honestly wouldn't be surprised as well a lot of it makes sense. Rampage is one of my fav fighters in and out of the cage. The dude is hilarious.
    Wow huge day in the MMA world.

First up Overeem signs with the UFC and has a 5 round title eliminator fight with Brock Lesnar on Dec 30th. Not shocked to see The Reem sign but shocked that Brock is willing to fight him.

Josh Kosheck is stepping in for Diego Sanchez against Matt Hughes at UFC 135 in a few weeks. I think Kos not being fully prepared for this fight will make it a lot better than if they were originally slated for each other.

Fedor vs Monson is booked for Nov 12th in Russia. I'm not excited about this fight at all.

And lastly Benson Henderson vs Clay Guida has been booked for UFC on FOX 1. Very excited for this fight. This should give us who's gonna fight the Edgar vs Maynard winner.
    So if you had any doubts, or questioned whether or not Nick Diaz is his own worst enemy...well, you can put those thoughts to bed.

http://bloodyelbow.com/2011/9/7/2410989/ufc-137-nick-diaz-out-carlos-condit-in-against-georges-st-pierre
    Wow! that's not too shocking but I didn't think he'd throw away a fight with GSP like this. Happy to see Condit getting a shot though. Dude is a beast! He's been on a tear for the last like 5 years, aside from the Kampmann loss which I felt he won personally. Hell it could have even been a draw.
    I won't be surprised to see him cut and blacklisted. It's a shame too, he's a good fighter and I'd like to see him tested against the best in the world.
    Same here. I think Dana will destroy his contract and send him into the Daley category. It really sucks, I was really excited to see what he could do against GSP and the UFC WW Division.

I did just see Big Nog and Mir are set to fight at 140 in December.
    How cool is that? I'm not fooling myself about Nog, the guy is on his way out, but I'd love to see him win in dramatic fashion and prove why he is one of the best in the short history of mma. I don't really think the first fight proves anything, and if Nog comes healthy...well, at that point it's a pick 'em in my opinion.