Home Non Cigar Related

Question For Those Who Fish

MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
For those that love to fish I was wondering what size filet knife you use. Personally I have never used anything bigger then a 7 inch blade. I find that size to be just fine whether I was cleaning a trout or fileting a King Salmon.

Comments

• greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    I use 7 and 9. I prefer the 9.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Who filets? I just eat them right out of the water, don't even take them off the line...nom nom nom
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Mike, I have a Leech Lake custom 7 inch filet knife and love it. Excellent construction and unique double sharpened blade helps.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7" works fine for me, when I can get it away from my wife, who's decided it's the ultimate kitchen tool.:)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless I'm fishing salmon or stripers I go with a 7". For the big boys I use an electric carving knife and don't even try to leave the rib bones uncut.
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Unless I'm fishing salmon or stripers I go with a 7". For the big boys I use an electric carving knife and don't even try to leave the rib bones uncut.
    You know I never considered using an electric carving knife. I can see where it could be the better tool to use on bigger fish.
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    As a follow up question do any of you guys here fish during the winter months? I know in some states winter is nothing more then a cooler summer and in other places ice fishing rules.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MTuccelli:
    jlmarta:
    You know I never considered using an electric carving knife. I can see where it could be the better tool to use on bigger fish.

Oh, yeah. Like they say in some places in the south, "Slicker'n snot on a doorknob".
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    MTuccelli:
    As a follow up question do any of you guys here fish during the winter months? I know in some states winter is nothing more then a cooler summer and in other places ice fishing rules.
    I am fortunate enough to be in Canada, and Ice fishing does "rule" up here. The ice is usually safe anytime after the first week of January and most years you can still ice fish during the March break. For a fillet knife, I have several...but the 7" blades are used the most.

• CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    camgfs:
    MTuccelli:
    I am fortunate enough to be in Canada, and Ice fishing does "rule" up here. The ice is usually safe anytime after the first week of January and most years you can still ice fish during the March break. For a fillet knife, I have several...but the 7" blades are used the most.

I would love to go ice fishing some time, but the closest I can get to it is trout fishing during the winter at Lake Cumberland. Fishing for small mouth bass is also a blast at Dale Hollow during the winter months.
  • MTuccelli:
    jlmarta:
    I primarily bass fish, and still use an electric knife. Once you get good with one, it's quicker and easier. It's probably not the right way, but it's the way I was raised and the only way I've ever done it, so it just comes natural.
  • wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    I fish for crappie and some catfish in the winter.... OK fishing is pretty decent year round really.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    goin fishin in MO this week and I'll have my 7", sharpened to the bone, filet knife handy. Learn it, use it, master it. Nothing like it. Electric this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I fish for bass. Can you tell? HAHA. I do also fish for cat, and while doing so catch a number of GAR. Gotta love the south. Once I get back, i'll be a fishin' fool again.