Home Cigar 101

Could A person....

greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
Make a storge humidor out of a cedar chest? Too much aroma? Airtight? I see them all over for less than fifty bucks. I am thinking for boxes.

Comments

• If it is cedar as in american cedar then I would say no. It will probably ruin the cigars. The cedar we are most commonly seeing in furniture is too aromatic. Spanish cedar I do not believe is true cedar, it is more akin to oak? (If I am remembering right...its been a long day). You are better off to get a cooler if you are going to go there.
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    greg2648:
    Make a storge humidor out of a cedar chest? Too much aroma? Airtight? I see them all over for less than fifty bucks. I am thinking for boxes.
    DO NOT USE THE CEDAR CHEST!!!!!!!!!!! save a few more buck and go with a cooler.

the aroma from that type of cedar will transfer to (and posibly ruin) your cigars.

"spanish cedar" is neither spanish nor cedar. it is south american and similar to Mahogany.
  • greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. I was bored at work and was daydreaming.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup, i thought about that cause my mom left one that woulda held like 5000 cigars but the smell was so strong i told my sister she can give it to her daughter,lol
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    415:
    greg2648:
    DO NOT USE THE CEDAR CHEST!!!!!!!!!!! save a few more buck and go with a cooler.

the aroma from that type of cedar will transfer to (and posibly ruin) your cigars.

"spanish cedar" is neither spanish nor cedar. it is south american and similar to Mahogany.

"spanish cedar" is neither spanish nor cedar." Now, discuss.....

Sorry, I had a "Coffee Talk with Linda Richman" flashback lol!

No big whoop
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    Heavy:
    415:
    greg2648:

"spanish cedar" is neither spanish nor cedar." Now, discuss.....

Sorry, I had a "Coffee Talk with Linda Richman" flashback lol!

No big whoop
    lol
  • 415:
    greg2648:

Thanks for clarifying 415, I can't tell the forest from the trees right now...
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    415:
    greg2648:

Thanks for jumping in there with that info! My heart would've sank if a man ruined his whole stash with a simple mistake like that.

ALWAYS remember... if you do not buy Spanish Cedar, you should not use it for a humidor (the inside, at least), no matter how beautiful it is! Mahogony with cedar lining is the next best thing, but it costs about the same as SC, so just get the genuine article the first time. It'll be worth the extra up front, in the long run.