Home Cigar 101

My new humi........the Bucketidor!

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
CORRECTION (again - doh!)
The Bucketidor will hold about 500+ Robustos!!
I'm going to start building it out this weekend.

For the math geeks like me
Bucketidor = 1600+ sq. in. volume
Typical 50 gauge, 5 inch Robusto = less than 2.75sq.in. volume
Estimated storage - 500+ Robustos
Real World storage (cigars + humi device, hygro, cedar, organizers, air space) = 350+ cigars!
(Storage space will be determined on how many small boxes I use.)
========================================
Well I told myself I will not succumb like so many of you poor souls, and start building a coolidor.
No sir, I have a slightly different idea.....and technically........I will not have succumbed to making a coolidor - heh!!
I present to you fine gentlemen, my Bucketidor

This will hold roughly 500+ robustos (somewhat packed). Realistically, once I have figured out some supporting storage systems to insert, some cedar, a 4oz Heartfelt tube and hygro, more like 350+ or so sticks.
This is a food grade bucket, with rubber seal, and snap lid. (I will have to burp this regularly.)
I filled it with water, added 3oz bleach and let that sit for 72 hours - then let it air for a week - its odor free and ready to go......and costs me next to nothing (we get our Kosher pickles in these for the deli).

Suggestions, comments and ideas greatly appreciated.

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Been smoking cigars and frequenting these forums for almost 2 years now . . . and I've never seen anyone doing this kinda thing. I wonder if you're a crazed madman or an innovative genius?
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    hmmmm..... interesting idea. i dont know of any cedar trays that would fit the bucket. but if you know how to build things you could make your own.
    i will be watching this thread to see how this goes for you. good luck
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    My only concern is the rubber seal since you had pickles in it. Did the brine taint the rubber? I would double check that just to be sure.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    J.S.:
    My only concern is the rubber seal since you had pickles in it. Did the brine taint the rubber? I would double check that just to be sure.
    The seal is removable, and I cleaned it up - no odor.
    It won't insulate like a cooler obviously, but fortunately, I don't have a need for that.
    One other bonus is, these stack really well - I could go 4 high no problem.

• You may be on to something. It may be hard to store some boxes flat however, but it looks like it would work. Plus it would be a handy herfador with the handle...imagine walking into a bar with that.
    415:
    hmmmm..... interesting idea. i dont know of any cedar trays that would fit the bucket. but if you know how to build things you could make your own.
    i will be watching this thread to see how this goes for you. good luck
    Lucky for me my daughter is taking woodshop this semester - guess what her first "special" project is gonna be!?
    8"x5" custom cedar trays, 2" tall, drilled out bottoms for air flow.
    (I have been thinking about this for a bit)

granneja:
    You may be on to something. It may be hard to store some boxes flat however, but it looks like it would work. Plus it would be a handy herfador with the handle...imagine walking into a bar with that.
    You are correct, many boxes will not fit. So that will still be an issue for me.
    But some boxes will fit. Also, I'm still basically a bottom feeder, and boxes aren't my reality anyway.
    The DD, weekend blitz, Kelly/Tim deals, and on occasion that dancin goofball on sister site is where I buy most my sticks.
    And the Bucketidor LOVES mazos, and bundles, and 5-packs.......... eats them up for lunch!
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Pure genius! I can see a room with unmarked white buckets stacked to the ceiling
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    my recommendation would be to put an oust fan on the lid, and put the humidifier on the bottom of the bucket, and make sure there is air flow room in between the layers of cigars. With an airtight seal, that little fan could really do a lot for keeping things fresh, especially if you don't get around to burping it often enough... just a though.

and no, I have no idea HOW you'd mount a fan to the lid... I just think it would be a great idea if you did LOL
    BigT06:
    my recommendation would be to put an oust fan on the lid, and put the humidifier on the bottom of the bucket, and make sure there is air flow room in between the layers of cigars. With an airtight seal, that little fan could really do a lot for keeping things fresh, especially if you don't get around to burping it often enough... just a though.

and no, I have no idea HOW you'd mount a fan to the lid... I just think it would be a great idea if you did LOL
    hmm....sounds like too much work..........this is just a tupperidor on steroids.
    I'll just burp it regularly.

You have my interest. I would love to know how it works out after it is up and running. I need to do something soon myself and it will either be a cooler or something of the sort or I will have to shell out of a large cabinet. Not wanting to do that very bad but the wife . . . Anyway, keep us informed!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    NEW BUSINESS IDEA!!!

Make about three of these humi's and then you can go to every major sporting event and play them like drums on the streets, and then when the cops aren't looking you can sell your warez for profit!!! (I'd assume that Maduro's would put off the most bass)
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I love it!
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
    One God, One Truth
    Progress Report:
    Unit is now in seasoning mode.
    Five A. Fuente boxes in it, and a tray.
    With some loose sticks floating in it, capacity will be around 200 sticks or so. A far cry from what I originally estimated, but that's the price for putting boxes in a cylinder - (which is why boxes go good in a cooler I know - but the bucketidor does have some advantages for me.)
    (If I simply stuffed it with mazos of 20, and packs of 5, etc. - I'm sure I'd get 400+ sticks in there.) Airflow will be much better though.
    Now I have to fill it up in the next few months!
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Depending on the size of boxes you could fit in there(ie: Ashton Magnums or Ashton Churchies) you could create some nice airflow on the sides of the boxes/bucket buy just stacking them up; or somehow making your own trays and stacking those as well...just make sure you don't stuff it too much. I really like the idea and am curious to see how it works out! I just got my cooler ready 1 week ago and have been very impressed...although I didn't need the insulation(like you) but it worked better to put 7-10 cigar boxes and my glasstop humi(taken apart) into and holds humidity and temp wonderfully.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    With your daughter taking the wood working classes, I'd get her to build some round trays with handles. Maybe design the handles to support the tray above it. With a little math and a table saw, this is completely do able!! Awesome project!
  • i want one.....
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    How bout a reality show called Cigar Survivor, People are dropped off on a remote island and they all have to compete for cigars,cutters,lighters etc. dont foget the challenges, The first one could be building a functional humidor out of coconuts and bamboo.. lol there could also be cigar rolling challenges, and a few others. LOL I know a silly idea but came to me seeing peoples innovativeness!!! You make the rice Biotch Im smoking a cigar..And instaed of extinguishing ones torch at tribal counsel they extinguish the cigar..The Herf has spoken
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Seems to be A good idea. I'll be watching for more information as your project develops. Keep us up to date with plenty of pictures. I have plenty of tools and I think I may try to build one myself. The best ideas are the ones you learn about and can improve on. A thousand pardons for borrowing from your idea.
    RBeckom:
    Seems to be A good idea. I'll be watching for more information as your project develops. Keep us up to date with plenty of pictures. I have plenty of tools and I think I may try to build one myself. The best ideas are the ones you learn about and can improve on. A thousand pardons for borrowing from your idea.
    Had a few requests for pics, so here's Bucketidor #1 (#2 still in development phase).
    No cigars in the pics yet, I'm still seasoning the cigar boxes.

The top single cigar box fits perfectly in there, making it all quite a snug fit - that was just pure luck - but it has a very cool unexpected benefit.
    Once filled, this bucketidor could get knocked over, roll around, and even be turned upside down, and the contents would receive very little, if any damage (especially if I anchor the Heartfelt tube to the bottom somehow.)

Bucketidor #2 will look quite different, and will be designed for loose sticks, mazos, bundles, etc. It will have cedar lined walls, etc.

• JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Looks great man!
    Looks good. I wonder as deep as a bucket would be if the humidity would be very different at the bottom from the top? the moister air will stay closer to the bottom. You might need a fan. I really have no idea this is definitely the first bucket I have seen transformed into a humi! Just something to keep in mind when checking the RH.
    Wishing the best for your experiment.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    KingoftheCove:
    Had a few requests for pics, so here's Bucketidor #1

First off cool idea man, I love it when people think outside of the box and do what works for them. I had a thought though. . . . .

Based on this picture, it looks like that fuente box on top is the same as all the others correct? If so, it looks like the box fills up the bucketidor pretty good when laying flat. So, why not lay them all flat stacked up 1-5 on the bottom still leavine you space on each side of the box for either beads or airflow . . . then you can probably fit more in there with more than 1 tray, or more boxes. Just a thought . . .
    J.S.:
    Looks good. I wonder as deep as a bucket would be if the humidity would be very different at the bottom from the top? the moister air will stay closer to the bottom. You might need a fan. I really have no idea this is definitely the first bucket I have seen transformed into a humi! Just something to keep in mind when checking the RH. Wishing the best for your experiment.
    hmmmm......had not thought of that.....if I make a little "roof" for each end of the middle tray so the robustos stay in place, I suppose I could simply turn the bucketidor upside down for a day, and then back right-side-up the next day?
    Or, I could just lay it on its side - than it's not nearly as tall and mybe the moist air stays distributed better.
    boydmcgowan:
    KingoftheCove:
    First off cool idea man, I love it when people think outside of the box and do what works for them. I had a thought though. . . . .

Based on this picture, it looks like that fuente box on top is the same as all the others correct? If so, it looks like the box fills up the bucketidor pretty good when laying flat. So, why not lay them all flat stacked up 1-5 on the bottom still leavine you space on each side of the box for either beads or airflow . . . then you can probably fit more in there with more than 1 tray, or more boxes. Just a thought . . .
    Actually, no.....the top box is just a bit smaller than the other four, and thus is the only box out of these 5 that fits in there like that at the top.
    Also, the bucket tapers gently to a somewhat smaller diameter towards the bottom, so even that top box would only go down about 1/4 deeper than it sits now, if the plastic tray was not in the way. It's a snug fit, but I like that.

Those were the only boxes that my local B&M had that I liked, but she said she'd have more soon, so I'm going back Friday to look at and measure a few more. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some that fit horizontally all the way down at the bottom.
    But, the way it is now, it makes it a bit easier to get to any of the bottom boxes......so a trade-off I suppose.

Right now I only have $10 invested in it (5 boxes). I have beads, tubes, and a spare hygro. So I see it as a true 200 count humi for $10 - considering my current financial condition, this is just what the doctor ordered.

• boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    KingoftheCove:
    boydmcgowan:
    KingoftheCove:

Actually, no.....the top box is just a bit smaller than the other four, and thus is the only box out of these 5 that fits in there like that at the top.
    Also, the bucket tapers gently to a somewhat smaller diameter towards the bottom, so even that top box would only go down about 1/4 deeper than it sits now, if the plastic tray was not in the way. It's a snug fit, but I like that.

Bummer that it won't fit horizontally all the way down. You might have been able to pick up quite a bit more space in there if it would. oh well, I guess thats why your working on bucketidor #2, right? hahaha.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    J.S.:
    I wonder as deep as a bucket would be if the humidity would be very different at the bottom from the top? the moister air will stay closer to the bottom.
    Humid air will rise, not stay closer to the bottom. I'd suggest keeping the humidity device at the bottom (which it sounds like you already are if I interpret your picture correctly), and then move your Hygro around after you've got it all set up to find out exactly what's going on in there.
    Russ55:
    J.S.:
    I wonder as deep as a bucket would be if the humidity would be very different at the bottom from the top? the moister air will stay closer to the bottom.

Humid air will rise, not stay closer to the bottom. I'd suggest keeping the humidity device at the bottom (which it sounds like you already are if I interpret your picture correctly), and then move your Hygro around after you've got it all set up to find out exactly what's going on in there.

I stand corrected.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    J.S.:
    Russ55:
    J.S.:
    I stand corrected.
    Humid air will rise, but in a 2foot tall bucket it wont make a noticeable difference at all. Maybe if you had a 5foot cabinet with 1-2 active humidifiers then I would have multiple digis, but not for a bucket of that size.