Home Cigar 101
Options

Seasoning cigar boxes?

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
So I scored five A. Fuente cigar boxes that will fit inside my "bucketidor" from my local B&M.
They look/feel really dry.
I was thinking of putting them in the bucketidor, along with a dish holding a soaked sponge (distilled).
Roughly how many days should I let that sit to be sure the cedar in the boxes is good to go?

I calculated that using the boxes in the bucketidor will substantially reduce capacity, but also substantially increase organizational options and tracking.
(Besides, I can always make another bucketidor when needed....)

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Depends on the thickness and if the boxes are varnished on one side or not - the thicker the spanich cedar (eg - really thick is about 1/4"), the longer it takes, especially if one side is varnished and can't breathe properly. I'd say if you've got about the capacity of a 300 count, give it a week, maybe 2 (or 3 if you're really paranoid) and you should be good to go
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Depends on the thickness and if the boxes are varnished on one side or not - the thicker the spanich cedar (eg - really thick is about 1/4"), the longer it takes, especially if one side is varnished and can't breathe properly. I'd say if you've got about the capacity of a 300 count, give it a week, maybe 2 (or 3 if you're really paranoid) and you should be good to go
    Thanks xmacro - that's what I was thinking - about 5-7 days, and I'll check the sponge daily and keep it wet.
    I was also thinking of wiping the insides of the boxes carefully with DW - not soak em - just dampen the walls and floor of the box to jump start things a bit - it's not a humi after all - dont' care if the box warps a little.

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Just remember once the RH is steady in the high 70's or so, you're pretty much set to go; whether it takes 2 days or 2 weeks. Do a google search for "How Herf-n-Turf seasons a humidor" - best how-to guide I've ever seen

Good luck to ya
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    xmacro:
    Just remember once the RH is steady in the high 70's or so, you're pretty much set to go; whether it takes 2 days or 2 weeks. Do a google search for "How Herf-n-Turf seasons a humidor" - best how-to guide I've ever seen

Good luck to ya
    This. I went through something similar with some new spanish cedar trays I purchased. Once I was hovering around 70 I figured I was good to go.
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    JudoChinX:
    xmacro:

Good luck to ya
    This. I went through something similar with some new spanish cedar trays I purchased. Once I was hovering around 70 I figured I was good to go.

Might be too late to add to this thread, but done this a couple of weeks ago getting my coolidor started. I just put a shot glass with distilled water in the coolor, added 3 jars of humi gel, put all the boxes in (i have 12 now) and in less than a week it has stayed at a steady 69 to 71%. They seemed to season themselves. So don't panic like I did however you decide to do it.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I have about 7 boxes from the B&M(either Ashton or Nub) and then a few full boxes I have purchased. I wipe down the empty ones from the B&M the same way in which I would season a normal humidor and the cedar smell they give off when drying is incredible. I have never had humidity issues either way but mine stays around 68-72%...before my last modification to the cooler, now it should stay around 69-70%