Home Cigar 101
Options

Kayaking and cigars

Just started smoking cigars and now want to expand to enjoying during kayaking. Looking for a shorter smaller cigar. Any ideas, also need advice on getting started with a humidifier and such.
Thanks for your time

Comments

• Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Welcome to the forum Miller. Browse the Cigar 101 posts and find what you are looking for easily. As far as a smaller cigar corona is about a 45 minute cigar. The ring gauge small and easy to hold on to when you need both hands for paddling.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    First, welcome! I would suggest using the search function to get started - there's a wealth of information on this forum and tons of awesome BOTLs willing to help out and answer questions. Once you get some basic knowledge down, you can start asking some more specific questions and probably get better responses that way.

As for kayaking with a smoke, I would recommend some of the 5 Vegas petitte coronas (I think only the Gold and Miami come in this vitola). I recommend them becuase 1. they are good! 2. they are pretty quick smokes and C. they are inexpensive so if one gets doused or dropped then it's no huge loss and you can just light up another one.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    MOW Puro or AF Short Story would do the trick; as for a humi, I'd recommend either a Herfador or a Pelican plastic case with some foam padding side (much cheaper for the room you get)
  • Options
    xmacro:
    MOW Puro or AF Short Story would do the trick; as for a humi, I'd recommend either a Herfador or a Pelican plastic case with some foam padding side (much cheaper for the room you get)

+1 on the Case. But if your hitting any witewater I'd suggest something smaller, a panetella or even a cigarillo sized smoke.
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Welcome. Can't add too much to the advice already given, so instead, I'm going to picture someone smoking a cigar while going over white water. Hehe.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    If you're looking for petite coronas, I'd suggest trying out the Cohiba Red Dot or Cohiba Black pequenos. Also, if you feel like splurging just a little bit, the Winston Churchill Spitfire by Davidoff is a damn tasty treat.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    millerj64:
    Just started smoking cigars and now want to expand to enjoying during kayaking. Looking for a shorter smaller cigar. Any ideas, also need advice on getting started with a humidifier and such. Thanks for your time
    Welcome Miller . . . . you haven't posted since you started the thread so I'm not sure if you'll even get this. But I did have another thought here. And of course I wanted to welcome you as well.

Coronas fit the bill for inexpensive cigars and they don't take too long so they do make pretty good suggestions. so a big +1 to everything people have said so far.

But I had another idea as well. Big ring cigars are very durable and really easy to keep lit when your distracted, whch I'm sure you would be if your smoking while kyaking, while corona's and other thin cigars tend to take a bit more babying to keep lit, and or not burn too hot and turn bitter. So maybe give a Nub or a Diesel Shorty a try the next time your out there because I'm sure they'd smoke fine no matter how fast or slow you smoke them, if you drop them, or if they get splashed a little.

Just throwing out my two cents here.
  • Options
    boydmcgowan:
    millerj64:
    Just started smoking cigars and now want to expand to enjoying during kayaking. Looking for a shorter smaller cigar. Any ideas, also need advice on getting started with a humidifier and such. Thanks for your time
    Welcome Miller . . . . you haven't posted since you started the thread so I'm not sure if you'll even get this. But I did have another thought here. And of course I wanted to welcome you as well.

Coronas fit the bill for inexpensive cigars and they don't take too long so they do make pretty good suggestions. so a big +1 to everything people have said so far.

But I had another idea as well. Big ring cigars are very durable and really easy to keep lit when your distracted, whch I'm sure you would be if your smoking while kyaking, while corona's and other thin cigars tend to take a bit more babying to keep lit, and or not burn too hot and turn bitter. So maybe give a Nub or a Diesel Shorty a try the next time your out there because I'm sure they'd smoke fine no matter how fast or slow you smoke them, if you drop them, or if they get splashed a little.

Just throwing out my two cents here.
    I smoke shortys when im on the boat fishing for this reason.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    First...WELCOME aboard.
    If you really must try this, then I would get any of the Tins of sticks in a brand you like and go with those.
    One reason I suggest these has already been brought up... they are cheap.
    The other reason I would go with them is because when you do some white water or catch a good splash from the water on the rocks I think you are going to be left with one VERY SOGGY cigar. Best to go with something cheap that won't bring tears to your eye's when you have to toss it in the drink.
    Fishing is one thing but Kayaking? Really? I would love to be the photographer when you take that first soggy draw off whatever you go with LMAO.
    I wonder if you could use one of those devices they have for smoking while riding a motor bike? If you could find one at least it would keep your stick dry, unless you totally go into the water.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Make sure you have something to keep the humidity correct, otherwise the cigar you smoke while kayaking might start to CANOE on you!!!!