Home Cigar 101

another just starting out

I have been looking for a humidor for about a month that was in my price range. After searching one night around 2am I found a glass top 50cc Spanish cedar humidor for less then 20 bucks online. It came with an analog hygrometer and a humidifier. I also came upon the Humidi-Puck. I bought this because it uses Rh beads and I figured it would be easier to use then buying the solution for the humidifier all the time. I know I have to season the humidor, but should I wait for the puck to come in or should I do it now? It will take around 3 days to come in.
Also my girlfriend bought me some Montecristo White's around 2 weeks ago. I have had them in a sealed bag with a damp paper towel and trying not to let them die. is that about all I can do till i get the humidor up and GTG?

Comments

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I think you are ok with the cigars in the bag. I would start to season the humidor now. It takes time for the cedar to absorb the water. Assuming you are using a shot glass, you can leave the shot glass in there until you get your puck. I have always wiped my humidors down to make the process go faster. Just make sure you only wipe it down and do not saturate because you want warp and crack the wood. Actually, when I get a new humidor I usually wipe it down, seal it for a few hours then wipe it down again to make sure it has as much absorbtion as possible, but that is just me.
  • thank you, I have had no clue on the whole seasoning the humidor thing.
    one other ? I did the salt test on the hygrometer it reads 60% inside my humidor.I have the lid closed, and I haven't done anything to the humidor. dose that sound any where near right?

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    If you havent seasoned your humidor....that reading is normal. Also if you have a dial (analog) hygrometer....pitch it. Those things are severly inaccurate. Digital ios the way to go and you can get em for about 10 bucks. Salt test a digital and youre good to go. You should leave you hygrometer in the humi whilst seasoning it and wait until it holds steady 70% for a few day. After that youre good to go! Add your cigars a few at a time and remember empty space is a humidors enemy. The fuller you keep it the more constant you can get your humidity...a perfect excuse to buy more cigars :)
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Sound advice from everyone and let me reiterate that you need a digital hygro. I however, do not believe you should wipe down a humidor I have one with a couple cracks bc of that.

A collage kid huh? I'm sure your college would be sad to see that. :)
  • bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but be sure to always use DISTILLED water!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Sound advice from everyone and let me reiterate that you need a digital hygro. I however, do not believe you should wipe down a humidor I have one with a couple cracks bc of that.

see a humi or it crack?...
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    madurofan:

I have heard of them cracking but never had one crack on me. I just wipe it down lightly. A friend of mine wipes his down every six months to keep it seasoned properly. I used to it it once a year with with 7, it became to much.
  • thanks again all. I guess the name comes from my good old WVU edumacation. I am looking for a digital now.
    PS thanks all who reply through the forms all the help is wonderful!
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:

see a humi or it crack?...
    huh?!?
    anotherpoorcollagekid:
    thanks again all. I guess the name comes from my good old WVU edumacation. I am looking for a digital now. PS thanks all who reply through the forms all the help is wonderful!
    LOL WVU eh? Good school. I was just giving you a hard time, I assumed it was a typo.
  • Yeah it's a good school. Despite what most people think we do more then just party and marry are cousins.
    anotherpoorcollagekid:
    Yeah it's a good school. Despite what most people think we do more then just party and marry are cousins.
    I have inlaws in WV. Beautiful country.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Your girlfriend has good taste. The Monte White is a great cigar.