Home Non Cigar Related

MMA Junkies in here

Comments

• ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I think it'll be a good fight if Nog comes in healthy. He has been very very vocal on the first fight so I think it's a great match to make as neither one of them can hang with the top of the HW division. I wouldn't be surprised to see the winner be put into the next title eliminator fight either although I don't think either can beat Cain, JDS or The Reem.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'm interested to see just how well Ubereem does. He's got all the right tools. The guys on BE summed up his fight with Brock perfectly, something along the lines of hardcore mma fans being like kids arguing who would win a fight between a bear and a gorilla. Does Brock take him down and do the Brock-smash routine, or does Reem catch him coming in with an apocalypse knee. Can't wait to find out...oh, and did they really need to make it a five round affair? My money is on it ending inside two.
    Yeah their write up on it was awesome. The bear and gorilla part had me cracking up. I think it comes down to how well Brock sets up his takedowns. If he uses some striking to get inside and then shoot I think he can avoid a face destroying knee shot lol It's gonna be interesting to see how much weight The Reem loses too. Since he won't be fighting abroad and fully regulated the whole is he roid'ing it up question will finally be answered. I think it'd be a really bad fight to watch after the 3rd maybe even 2nd round. Those two would be so winded in rounds 4 and 5 it'd be one sloppy mess. I'm thinking it'll end inside 3 do to all oxygen in the arena being used haha
    Ok, I think we have the best possible outcome here. Condit is, imo, a much better challenge for the title, he presents more danger to GSP than Diaz, again imo. Now, Diaz v Penn on THE SAME CARD! I'm more intrigued by Diaz Penn than I was by Condit Penn, and am more satisfied with Condit getting the shot. I want to see someone who can threaten GSP and wake the beast, the guy has just been avoiding any and all risk and I hate to see him waste his prime years playing it safe for the sake of keeping the belt.
    I completely agree with everything you said Joe. I'm much more pumped about both of those fights than I was the originals. I really think that Diaz vs Penn is gonna be sick and the way Condit finishes oh man he's gonna push GSP hard. Love these fights!
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I'm pretty stoked about these 2 fights as well... I don't think they will be the "breath of fresh air" that we really need right now, but they will both be fun fights to watch.

as far as GSP goes... here is my OPINION:
    he walks around within 10lbs of the greatest fighter that has ever competed in MMA... Anderon Silva. Silva has fought (with undisputed success) in 3 different weight classes, INCLUDING 170, and has even fought "catch weights" with several rising stars in single discipline martial arts. If GSP wants to be the best, he needs to look at how fat his bank account already is, realize that he doesn't have to be anybody's b*tch, and make a challenge to Silva. Both fighters walk around between 190-200 lbs, and cut well to whatever weight class they need to. If Dana White didn't OWN mma the way we know it, the 2 would be natural competitors! And the MMA world would be better for it! Silva has made it clear that he would fight anybody who will accept, at whatever weight they want to fight, including GSP... and I have no reason to think GSP is afraid of Silva, he just doesn't have the balls to take the greatest fight in MMA history because he thinks it'll make his pimp mad!

In combat sports, you are going to loose eventually (i.e. Fedor, my idol). It would be so much more respectable in my opinion for either GSP to loose to Silva or vice-versa in an epic battle for true supremecy, than it is to watch them both continue to make light work of nearly everybody in front of them until they get old and fade out of the sport. BOTH of them have lost in the past, BOTH of them will loose again. Why not put em in the ring together and let history be made? COME ON DANA!!

sorry about the rant... lol
    Time for some Strikeforce picks:
    Barnett vs Kharitonov: Barnett (I'm having a hard time picking this one, Barnett's a beast but Kharitonov I have felt is the sleeper in the field)
    Bigfoot vs Cormier: Bigfoot
    Jacare vs Rockhold: Jacare (can't wait for the Kennedy rematch)
    Lawal vs Gracie: Lawal
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    ENFIDL:
    Time for some Strikeforce picks:
    Barnett vs Kharitonov: Barnett (I'm having a hard time picking this one, Barnett's a beast but Kharitonov I have felt is the sleeper in the field)
    Bigfoot vs Cormier: Bigfoot
    Jacare vs Rockhold: Jacare (can't wait for the Kennedy rematch)
    Lawal vs Gracie: Lawal
    I agree with all your picks except the last one.

I give it to Gracie. I'm pretty biased though.
    Wish I had seen this earlier. My picks for the HW GP were Cormier and Barnett. I know, easy for me to say that now since both won, but you'll just have to take me at my word. :)

Now, I didn't expect Cormier to finish it so quickly, and I'm more impressed with the guy each time I see him. Barnett did exactly what I expected him to do, a little bit of boxing, a lot of head movement and the eventual takedown and submission...Barnett fights very smart, he always works to his own advantage whether in a striking exchange or on the ground, I'd really like to see him back in the UFC, they need more strong HW fighters who are well rounded, and HW fighters don't get much more well rounded than Barnett.

As for the rest: Glad to see a Gracie lose, again...Renzo is the only really good Gracie to have fought MMA. No opinion on Jacare Rockhold. Maximo Blanco should be an FW.
    Glad to see Barnett moving on to the finals. I'm with you Joe. He needs to be back in the UFC. He is the one of the most well rounded heavyweights in the world which is a rarity. I really hope that Kennedy vs Rockhold happens next for strikeforce's mw title. I think Tim deserves another shot, I thought he beat Jacare in their fight. Cormier's learning curve is ridiculous. I think he could make some really good waves in the UFC's HW division.
    I didn't watch the Jacare fight last night, but from what I saw of highlights and such, I do think Kennedy could take Rockhold and probably beat Jacare in a rematch, if Jacare fights like he did last night.

Barnett absolutely should be in the ufc as should Cormier, that dude is Damn impressive.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    So for some odd reason Vasquez has a title fight on Fox... any idea why UFC is goin there instead of Spike?
    Spike's deal with the UFC is expiring in Jan. Fox offered them a lot more money and the chance to reach a ton more people so the UFC signed a new tv deal with FOX a few weeks back. That's where the Ultimate Fighter, fight nights, etc will be held from now on. The deal was rumored to be worth around $100 million a year. Very
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    jesus guess props to Dana
    So, thoughts on The Battle of the two Jakes? Love that alternate title. Nothing about this card really jumps out, but sometimes the sleeper cards turn out damned fine. I'm picking Ellenberger to win provided he remembers to use his wrestling ability, if even just to defend the takedown...if he can do that, I like his odds for eventually landing something. After Henderson and Kampmann, I'm really unsure about Shields' chin and Ellenberger throws heavy leather. Whatever the turnout, I just hope it isn't boring, but as they say "hope in one hand and **** in the other and see which one fills up faster".
    I didn't get to see the card but I was glad to see Ellenberger win. I'm sure Shields wasn't mentally there at all after what happened with his dad but still Ellenberger is a beast of a finisher. Plus it gives us some more title contention depth in the WW division. And usually in my experiences the hand I dump in fills up much more quickly lol
    I think there is some validity to the question of Shields' mental state. More so than that, I think we're beginning to see what I have suspected for a while, that Shields is not a top WW...a good fighter sure, but not well rounded enough to be considered top ten. When he couldn't get Ellenberger down, he basically didn't know what to do, the guy has like zero striking. He's no longer a big fish in a small pond, now he's swimming with sharks.
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I think there is some validity to the question of Shields' mental state. More so than that, I think we're beginning to see what I have suspected for a while, that Shields is not a top WW...a good fighter sure, but not well rounded enough to be considered top ten. When he couldn't get Ellenberger down, he basically didn't know what to do, the guy has like zero striking. He's no longer a big fish in a small pond, now he's swimming with sharks.

agreed....
    What is everyone's predictions for UFC 135 this weekend?
    Main Card:
    Jones vs Jackson-Jones TKO Rd 2
    Hughes vs Koscheck-Koscheck TKO Rd 1
    Browne vs Broughton-Browne Decision
    Diaz vs Gomi-Diaz Submisson Rd 2
    Rothwell vs Hunt-Rothwell Decision
    Prelims:
    Ferguson vs Riley
    Ring vs Boetsch
    Assuncao vs Yagin
    Mizugaki vs Escovedo
    Te Huna vs Romero
    Not picking the prelims because some of these guyz I haven't seen much of.
    j0z3r:
    Joe you are totally on point. Shields dominance came against low level guys and even a hurt Henderson almost got him. I was really hoping he'd step it up when he came to the UFC but alas like many others he has not.
    Here's my UFC 135 picks:

Jones vs Jackson: Jones (even though I want Rampage to win so badly)
    Hughes vs Koscheck: This is a hard pick Kos on short notice.....I'll gotta go with Kos though
    Browne vs Broughton: Browne
    Diaz vs Gomi: Diaz
    Rothwell vs Hunt: Rothwell
    Hendo is back in the UFC. Not like we didn't see it coming lol He's gonna face Shogun at UFC 139, rumor is they're headlining, in what I think will be a title eliminator for the winner of whoever Rashad fights for the belt.
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Just ran into B.J. Penn
    ENFIDL:
    Hendo is back in the UFC. Not like we didn't see it coming lol He's gonna face Shogun at UFC 139, rumor is they're headlining, in what I think will be a title eliminator for the winner of whoever Rashad fights for the belt.

Wow hadn't heard that!!!!! I don't know if Shogun is he right fight for him right out of the gate. I really like that he is back, he always puts on a show, but the dayz of swinging for the fences all the time is over. He's gonna end up like Chuck and Wanderli if he isn't able to get his ground game together. Anyhow this is great news....thanks for letting us know.
    Main Card:
    Jones vs Jackson- Rampage ko rd 1
    Hughes vs Koscheck- Hughes sub rd 2
    Browne vs Broughton-Browne tko
    Diaz vs Gomi-Diaz UD
    Rothwell vs Hunt- Hunt tko
    Prelims:
    Ferguson vs Riley-Riley UD
    Ring vs Boetsch-Boetsch tko3
    Assuncao vs Yagin-?
    Mizugaki vs Escovedo-Mizugaki UD
    Te Huna vs Romero-Te Huna UD
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Condit's a tough guy and has good BJJ but too skinny to really threaten GSP...
    dowjr1:
    With all due respect, I think you're mistaken. GSP is a force to be reckoned with for sure, but if Condit can put his tools together, he's a tough fight for anybody, GSP included. Can't wait to see this one.
    j0z3r:
    Main Card:
    Jones vs Jackson- Rampage ko rd 1
    Hughes vs Koscheck- Hughes sub rd 2
    Browne vs Broughton-Browne tko
    Diaz vs Gomi-Diaz UD
    Rothwell vs Hunt- Hunt tko
    Prelims:
    Ferguson vs Riley-Riley UD
    Ring vs Boetsch-Boetsch tko3
    Assuncao vs Yagin-?
    Mizugaki vs Escovedo-Mizugaki UD
    Te Huna vs Romero-Te Huna UD

Wow......Rampage in round 1.
    lcpleel:
    Just ran into B.J. Penn
    That's awesome man. Where at?
    j0z3r:
    dowjr1:
    With all due respect, I think you're mistaken. GSP is a force to be reckoned with for sure, but if Condit can put his tools together, he's a tough fight for anybody, GSP included. Can't wait to see this one.
    I think Condit will be much harder of a fight for GSP than most people are recognizing. GSP is a stud but so in Condit. Should be a great fight