Home Cigar 101

Tabletop Lighter?

90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
Besides the neat-o factor, are there any "significant" reasons for having one? What would you suggest in a reasonable price range? Does high altitude like Colorado have any impact like it does on some butane torches?
"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."

Comments

• 90+ Irishman:
    Besides the neat-o factor, are there any "significant" reasons for having one? What would you suggest in a reasonable price range? Does high altitude like Colorado have any impact like it does on some butane torches?
    From what i've read and have been learning, it's best to use a butane lighter/torch or wooden match, because if you use a regular lighter (BIC), it will affect the taste. I just purchased a lotus 26 lighter a couple of days ago, so i'll be able to let you know how that works. I paid $49.00 for mine. It also has an attached punch cutter. I figured in case I forget a cutter, I'd have a backup. If you find a lighter you like, search for it on google and go to the shopping results. This will give you an idea of how much you should pay for that model.

I guess a question for me would be, if you light a cigar with a regular lighter, does it affect the taste of the cigar just initially, or the entire cigar?

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    As far as significant the only thing that I can think of is that you don't have to refill it as often. Prices vary but for a soft flame 100 and up I think I saw a torch for around 40 and up but that was a while ago. Regarding altitude butane is butane and high altitude and cold temps do effect it.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    howtobass:
    90+ Irishman:

From what i've read and have been learning, it's best to use a butane lighter/torch or wooden match, because if you use a regular lighter (BIC), it will affect the taste. I just purchased a lotus 26 lighter a couple of days ago, so i'll be able to let you know how that works. I paid $49.00 for mine. It also has an attached punch cutter. I figured in case I forget a cutter, I'd have a backup. If you find a lighter you like, search for it on google and go to the shopping results. This will give you an idea of how much you should pay for that model.

I guess a question for me would be, if you light a cigar with a regular lighter, does it affect the taste of the cigar just initially, or the entire cigar?

If you use butane this will not be an issue, no matter the lighter. Other types of lighting (e.g., wooden match) should be held for a moment to allow the sulfur to burn off then light it and you will be fine.
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    howtobass:
    90+ Irishman:

I did not know this. All I have used is a BIC, gotta stop today....good tip for the noobs....
  • CvilleE:
    howtobass:
    90+ Irishman:

I did not know this. All I have used is a BIC, gotta stop today....good tip for the noobs....
    Same here. I would have just used a BIC. I've also read not to let the flame touch it. Can an expert weigh in on this as to why?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    a BIC is butane. a Zippo has fluid that has an odor. BICs are safe to use if you are ok with a soft flame.
  • What do you mean by "soft flame" is there such a thing as a "hard flame"? Is one preferable over the other?
  • kuzi16:
    a BIC is butane. a Zippo has fluid that has an odor. BICs are safe to use if you are ok with a soft flame.
    Good to know. Thanks.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    DeadBoxJD:
    What do you mean by "soft flame" is there such a thing as a "hard flame"? Is one preferable over the other?
    a soft flame is a flame like that of a BIC lighter. A torch would be the equivelent of a "hard flame". As long as it's butane, either are just fine, it's just a preference thing. Most people find it easier to correctly light a cigar with a torch. I prefer a soft flame personally, but I toast the foot of my cigar for about 30 seconds prior to lighting. If you do not know how to do this with a soft flame you can scorch the wrapper (you'll know what I'm talking about if you see black stuff on the sides of your cigar).

try em both, and decide what you like better.
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    DeadBoxJD:
    What do you mean by "soft flame" is there such a thing as a "hard flame"? Is one preferable over the other?
    a soft flame is a flame like that of a BIC lighter. A torch would be the equivelent of a "hard flame". As long as it's butane, either are just fine, it's just a preference thing. Most people find it easier to correctly light a cigar with a torch. I prefer a soft flame personally, but I toast the foot of my cigar for about 30 seconds prior to lighting. If you do not know how to do this with a soft flame you can scorch the wrapper (you'll know what I'm talking about if you see black stuff on the sides of your cigar).

great stuff guys...keeps me amazed....killer info.
  • BigT06:
    DeadBoxJD:

Ok. Thanks for the info. That makes sense.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CvilleE:
    howtobass:
    90+ Irishman:

I am certainly no expert myself, but I would say that you are certainly no noob, just still in the early stages of the learning curve ;) Great info gentleman, I definitely appreciate the info. I have often heard that to get the true "taste" of the tobacco that you should always use a wooden match and yes let the sulfur burn off, or use a torch after warming the foot for about 10-15 seconds. In terms of why the BIC's and Zippo's effect the entire cigar taste I can speculate on the chemistry that goes on. I believe that due to the compounds of the lighter fluid and how it burns, when the hydrocarbons enter the cigar, they don't just stay at the foot where it is lit, it travels through the filler and binders of the cigar and leave small deposits throughout the entirety of it. I could be completely off my rocker but I remember a decent amount of chemistry from college at Colorado School of Mines. If I am off my rocker please jump in and correct me guys, I absolutely hate putting my foot in my mouth haha Thanks!!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    I read somewhere once that if you light a Zippo and let it burn for a few seconds before you get at your cigar with it that it doesn't affect the taste. I use a Zippo to light my cigars any time the wind is calm enough for it. (Twice in the last 4 months!) I think it's nostalgia, lol.

I do NOT let the flame touch the cigar and I typically don't make the cut before it's lit to minimize the chance of affecting the taste. I haven't noticed a difference myself.

This process takes a long time but it's fire and I love it so who cares?? {B-)

Well went in to the local cigar shop today set on getting a lighter of some sort as a reward for the raise at work. Looked at a couple of table top lighters and through some torches and other lighters, but finally settled on the new Xikar Stratosphere. Really liked that it would light even at the top of most of the peaks here in Colorado (rated to 12,550 ft elevation) and really enjoyed the coil mechanism. Lighter in the hand than I would have imagined but the polymer grip gives you some confidence in using it and it lights EVERYTIME! Already used it to light up a stick tonight and just got done nubbing that one till it damn near burned the crap out of my finners haha
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Well went in to the local cigar shop today set on getting a lighter of some sort as a reward for the raise at work. Looked at a couple of table top lighters and through some torches and other lighters, but finally settled on the new Xikar Stratosphere. Really liked that it would light even at the top of most of the peaks here in Colorado (rated to 12,550 ft elevation) and really enjoyed the coil mechanism. Lighter in the hand than I would have imagined but the polymer grip gives you some confidence in using it and it lights EVERYTIME! Already used it to light up a stick tonight and just got done nubbing that one till it damn near burned the crap out of my finners haha
    I may have missed this on another thread but congratulations on the promotion at work.
    Much appreciated my friend, it's running smoothly right now and I'm content, so can't complain :)
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ronson makes a good single flame torch lighter you can get at Walmart for around 5.00$ that's what I use and if it does start messing up,( and they all seem to eventually) who cares just get a new one.
    Rhamlin:
    Ronson makes a good single flame torch lighter you can get at Walmart for around 5.00$ that's what I use and if it does start messing up,( and they all seem to eventually) who cares just get a new one.
    Totally agree in that regard, ended up getting the Xikar Stratosphere instead though... lights up to 12,500 ft (nearly the top of all mountains here in Colorado) and since the wife and I camp frequently this was important to me. Also, its got a coil light which is way cool to me, and a lifetime warranty... so for $30 I got a lighter for LIFE!
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    have a perdomo thundra, read somewhere that when the jets start acting up blow it out with a can of pc dust cleaner with the lil straw attached, i tried this yesterday and the flames are great now, jus passing that along
    Thanks man!!! I'm actually having an issue slightly with my Xikar so I'll try this!