Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Anyone work for the Feds? Need some help for a job

Looking for some info for a dear friend of mine - she wants to go into the Federal Gov't, as a kind of psych analyst for the FBI or whatnot, but doesn't know what the title of this kinda job would be. She's got a great college pedigree, top grades in her graduating class (either C.um Laude or Summa C.um Laude, I forget which), and got accepted into a top-notch Masters Criminal Justice program in NY, but has no idea where to apply, how to apply, or even what kind of job title the stuff she wants to do would have

Anyone work in the Federal Gov't that would have a better idea what she could do? Like I said, she wants to be a kind of criminal psych analyst, but has no idea what organizations or positions would allow her to do this, since neither she, nor anyone in my family, has any experience working in the Gov't.

Comments

• Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    Okay, i might be able to throw a little a little light on the subject. For anything in FBI, she would need to apply at the FBI website. http://www.fbijobs.gov/college/ They are always recruiting for college grads. Same for CIA. For both of those, FBI and CIA, you have to have a degree to get into the fun stuff (investigations, criminology, forensic psychology, agent)(br)(br) For DHS,and DEA (under Department of Justice) you need to apply at usajobs.com. There are a ton of jobs out there, I know that the CIA is actively recruiting for intelligence analysts, so much so that they will pay for you to go to college out of high school if you agree to work for a certain amount of time (I believe its 6 years, but don't hold me to that) (br)(br) If you have any more questions I would be more than happy to try and help you out with whatever questions you or she might have. It's a great job, and a ton of fun. I think what she would be looking for would be in the criminology field, or possibly forensic psychology, if you tell me what she wants to do it would help.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Much appreciated!!

Here's her questions and clarifications:

I've been on usajobs and the FBI website a hundred times looking into college recruiting and I applied for the Honors internship with them and got rejected, then applied for a staff position in the FBI and got rejected. I just applied for a special agent but my application is still in process but I'll keep at it.

I would love to do something in the intelligence field or counterintelligence; I'm interested in criminal profiling but I don't want to be too deep in psychology. Something I'd like to know is, what kind of education you need to do some kind of intelligence for the FBI? Is a Bachelors and Masters good enough? I haven't looked into the CIA until now, but it sounds like something I'd like to do
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    She needs to talk to a recruiter. Call one of the larger Field offices in her area, or even not in her area, and ask to speak to one. They probably call it Personnel and Training, or even HR. Be prepared to leave a message, and possibly call back. More than once.

For Special Agent there's 5 or so degree programs they accept, CJ, Accounting, Medical, language, and I forget the other/s, but I think it can be something else if you have work experience in that field. The requirements change from time to time, but that's just for Special Agent. They employ a lot of other people in different capacities. Try to talk to a recruiter though, I'm assuming they still have them. They might not call them that. It's been a while since I looked into it myself. Basically you want to talk to the folks who do the hiring/background checks, etc. They can give you the best info, what they're looking for, what they're not, and so on. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Honestly she needs to go contracting on a contract for the agency she wants to work for. That's the easiest way to make a name for yourself with whatever agency and gets your foot in the door. That's how I did it. I started as a contractor where I'm at with 0 experience in the field they hired me in then I busted my butt and when there was a fed opening I applied and once I made the cert list from the USAJOBS posting it was my job to lose and well I didn't lol booze allen, general dynamics, mantech, etc are the best companies to look at. clearedjobs.net is a great resource as well. they have job fairs, workshops, etc. Hope this helps
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Usajobs.com is a great site to find pretty much every type of government job.