Home Cigar 101

Coolidor/tupperdor burping frequency?

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
So my bucket humi (bucektidor) is up and running and rock steady at 66%RH.
It is pretty much an air-tight seal.........much tighter than a typical coolidor.
How often, and for how long should I "burp" it?
My preliminary guess is a few (2 or 3) times a week for 20 seconds or so, and use the lid to fan some fresh air in there.

Opinions and suggestions appreciated.

(I was planning on holding off on bucketidor #2, but this cigarsprintsale madness is likely to change that)

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you plan on getting into it more than once a week to grab a smoke you be more than fine. dont sweat it if you forget to for a week or two. it really isnt that big of a deal. cigars are way more resilient than most will admit.

nothing horrible will happen if you dont.
    it is better if you do, but youll be fine if you dont.
    relax.
    grab a cigar, and enjoy the hobby. dont fret it.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    if you plan on getting into it more than once a week to grab a smoke you be more than fine. dont sweat it if you forget to for a week or two. it really isnt that big of a deal. cigars are way more resilient than most will admit.

relax.
    Thanks Kuzi - this bucket, and subsequent ones, will be primarily for aging - I won't be going in there too much at all - my plan is to, fill-em-up, stack em up, and let them sit.
    Think probably once or twice a week should do it - but after Krieg's experience lately, I'll probably be checking in there a bit more........for the first few months at least.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    kuzi16:

relax.
    Thanks Kuzi - this bucket, and subsequent ones, will be primarily for aging - I won't be going in there too much at all - my plan is to, fill-em-up, stack em up, and let them sit.
    Think probably once or twice a week should do it - but after Krieg's experience lately, I'll probably be checking in there a bit more........for the first few months at least.

keep the rh at 69% (or maybe slightly lower maybe 67 at lowest) and the temp at 65 - 70 but no higher and the chances of mold are slim. break those rules and you are SOL.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    KingoftheCove:
    kuzi16:

relax.

keep the rh at 69% (or maybe slightly lower maybe 67 at lowest) and the temp at 65 - 70 but no higher and the chances of mold are slim. break those rules and you are SOL.
    hmmm...the temp will not be a problem, but the RH might be......I got the 65% Heartfelt......guess I could throw in a few pillows and try to get it up to 68/69 - or maybe just buy some 70% beads for bucket 2?......gotta think about this one.........

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    KingoftheCove:
    kuzi16:
    KingoftheCove:
    kuzi16:

relax.

hmmm...the temp will not be a problem, but the RH might be......I got the 65% Heartfelt......guess I could throw in a few pillows and try to get it up to 68/69 - or maybe just buy some 70% beads for bucket 2?......gotta think about this one.........

If you are using the 65% beads they should work fine for the range you want. If they are charged they will hold the RH at the high end of their range or around 67%. Since your bucket is so airtight that you will be burping it you won't be losing much (if any) humidity so the beads should work good for you. I use 65% beads and when charged they will hold at 67% for a LONG time in my coolerdor.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I've noticed this same thing with my new tupperdor, have like 8 boxes in there already & since its such a tight seal charged beads last for 3 to 4 months probably. Its so much easier than my humidors, & the humidity is rock solid. Wish I knew then what I know now, lol.