Home Cigar 101

Wineador problems

Fellas- I have a NewAir 28 bottle thermoelectric wine fridge I use for my humi for my premium smokes. It has worked great for almost a year with no fuss. Until recently now when its plugged in it won't hold humidity at all. But when it is off the humidity is spot on. I plugged up the drain hole in the front and back but unsure what to do next. I'm worried the temps will get too high however. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    joshvoigt:
    Fellas- I have a NewAir 28 bottle thermoelectric wine fridge I use for my humi for my premium smokes. It has worked great for almost a year with no fuss. Until recently now when its plugged in it won't hold humidity at all. But when it is off the humidity is spot on. I plugged up the drain hole in the front and back but unsure what to do next. I'm worried the temps will get too high however. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.
    I would say it is your fan, that happened to one of mine and it seems the cooling unit was staying on constantly. You should not have the drain hole plugged anyway! You need the drain for drops of water when it runs and also you should have a "water slide" (read thin strip of plastic that leads from beneath the drain hole into some beads, credo, or dish as these things do sweat and you wont see the mold until you open one of your boxes on the bottom as one small errant splash of water can do MAJOR destruction. I almost lost 3 boxes of Camacho's like this, luckily I caught it in time and it only cost me 5 sticks and a bunch of panic. You should also have your cigars raised off the floor, some half inch strips of cedar and a platform should do nicely. I'll see if I can dig up some pics of my old ones for you to check out. Hang tight.
    Ok they are still there, check these out for what I mean: http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm186/nick007g/
  • Unplugged drain hole. Plugged back in might let it sit for a day or so? No cigars on the bottom floor just beads and a humi jar along with a small dish of distilled water.
    As far as the unit running constantly (fan ok the unit not) I never really figured it as I had to get rid or my collection before I got around to fixing the electrical issue. You could try sticking a Popsicle stick in the fan unit to stop the fan ( leave it for a bit) and see if that helps and if it dose, disable the fan permanently by opening the unit up. If that is not it then it is a problem with the unit not recognizing that the pre-set temp has been reached or a fuse issue. Is the unit cooling beyond the 68 setting?
  • The highest temp setting I have is 65 and it works to that, I just can't maintain rH and keep it cool at the same time. Why did you have to get rid of your collection? Looked awesome to me!
    joshvoigt:
    The highest temp setting I have is 65 and it works to that, I just can't maintain rH and keep it cool at the same time. Why did you have to get rid of your collection? Looked awesome to me!
    //////Had some personal issues. Sold a bit of it for a loss and gave most of the rest away, did the mother of all bombs on a fellow BOTL that had just lost his job. 200+ stick Hiroshima bomb...lol. Did you try the Popsicle stick? You need to use a really bright flashlight to see if you have stopped the propeller.
  • Not yet I've got the baby running around like crazy. To me it doesn't sound like the fan is running right now.
    joshvoigt:
    Not yet I've got the baby running around like crazy. To me it doesn't sound like the fan is running right now.
    Test it out when you get a chance & let me know, I have a few theories on what it could be based on what it could possibly be.
  • Jammed up the fan with a bamboo skewer I use to unplug plugged cigars. I'll let ya know what happens. Maybe I can send ya a bomb for the information!
    So what is the word?
  • Turned it off last night the fan didn't solve the problem. It seemed it was over heating the unit. Right now I'm at 67rH and 70 degrees. I guess I might just turn it on when it gets a little hot and that way the rH won't fluctuate so much.
    Sorry to hear that didn't work. The final solution would be to hook it up to a external timer and do some testing to see what the minimum settings that you can pre-set to keep things cool enough for you. This is what people use when they run the compressor based set ups. I know it's a pain and extra work but you may find that you don't have to run it as often as you think to maintain desired temp control and they can be had for like $10. Like I said this happened on one of mine and it's almost like it just turned into a condenser unit overnight. Funny thing is the other one ran perfect until the day I sold it and never had a issue. There is also a diagram in the back (above the evaporation tank) that you can use to tinker with and see if there is some sort of short circuit of some kind. Good part is that they still make great humidors even when unplugged so it wont be a loss. Hope you can find a solution to this frustrating issue.