Home General Discussion

Off the wall question (but cigar related)

Off the wall question here…. So it’s after the apocalypse and you have 5 cigars, a small tupperware container to hold these 5 cigars, water (not distilled), and paper towels. You manage to control a room to keep a constant temperature of 70, but cannot control humidity and the air is very dry. With no way to keep track of humidity, what is your strategy to keep these cigars in good condition using these materials? (besides smoking them.)

Comments

• mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Order some beads and a Hygrometer from the BEARD for the Apocalypse works for him.
  • mfotis:
    Order some beads and a Hygrometer from the BEARD for the Apocalypse works for him.
    USPS system no longer exists.....
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    howtobass:
    mfotis:
    hahahahahaha you act as if The Beard needs USPS to get his stuff out. He would pull out a Beard follicle and have it deliver it the goods.
  • ENFIDL:
    howtobass:
    mfotis:
    hahahahahaha you act as if The Beard needs USPS to get his stuff out. He would pull out a Beard follicle and have it deliver it the goods.
    LOL.
  • I'm just curious to see how the pro's would handle it. Keep a damp paper towel in it? Air it out twice a day? Or would it just be best to smoke em all?
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully I could find some B&M's to loot.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I would smoke the 5 cigars while treking to Cuba and learn how to roll my own...
  • Rhamlin:
    Too risky. Good chance of getting shot.

Diamondog:
    I would smoke the 5 cigars while treking to Cuba and learn how to roll my own...
    This is starting to sound like the best bet. It makes me wonder how they stored cigars way back in the day before they could regulate humidity.
  • wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere you can use potatoes to control RH so I guess I'd try that.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    While you guys are figuring out how to humidify your cigars, I'll start impregnating women to try and repopulate the human race.
  • y2pascoe:
    While you guys are figuring out how to humidify your cigars, I'll start impregnating women to try and repopulate the human race.
    That was my first issue I already dealt with.... this cigar thing was the second.... sorry sir... unless you like seconds? HAHA J/K
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Diamondog:
    +1 lol good answer, Could always use a teaspoon of slightly wet table salt. While it would bump the humididty to 75 percent it would still probably be better than lettin them dry out.
  • If you had a nearly unlimited supply of water and power was constant, you could rig up some contraption to distill your own water.

I would also go out on the search for "replacement smokes" and women...I'd try to find the girl fro High School that told me she'd only go out with me "if I was the last man on God's green Earth"!! HAHAHA!! Payback time!
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    howtobass:
    Rhamlin:

Diamondog:
    This is starting to sound like the best bet. It makes me wonder how they stored cigars way back in the day before they could regulate humidity.
    To my knowledge, the humidor was introduced somewhere in the 60's or late 50's if memory serves correct (I think that's the "general" timeframe) and here in the USA before that only "dry" cigars were smoked, and most were short filled. It wasn't until the "mobsters" and American icons started importing or picking up Cuban cigars that they were smoking "humidified" sticks, because the humidity in Cuba and temperature were wildly different than here in the USA (especially Connecticut where the majority of wrapper tobacco is grown). The tobacco in Cuba was still "wet" and moist due to the climate conditions. The original cigars called "stogies" were actually very dry cigars that resembled a Conistoga wagon wheel spoke, and because they were generally sold off the back of such wagons. Just my 2 cents -- Jarman
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • 90+ Irishman:
    howtobass:
    Rhamlin:

Diamondog:
    To my knowledge, the humidor was introduced somewhere in the 60's or late 50's if memory serves correct (I think that's the "general" timeframe) and here in the USA before that only "dry" cigars were smoked, and most were short filled. It wasn't until the "mobsters" and American icons started importing or picking up Cuban cigars that they were smoking "humidified" sticks, because the humidity in Cuba and temperature were wildly different than here in the USA (especially Connecticut where the majority of wrapper tobacco is grown). The tobacco in Cuba was still "wet" and moist due to the climate conditions. The original cigars called "stogies" were actually very dry cigars that resembled a Conistoga wagon wheel spoke, and because they were generally sold off the back of such wagons. Just my 2 cents -- Jarman
    Wow! Great info. Thanks!
  • howtobass:
    90+ Irishman:
    Wow! Great info. Thanks!
    +1
    DeadBoxJD:
    howtobass:
    90+ Irishman:
    Wow! Great info. Thanks!
    +1
    Well thanks men! As much as I would love to take credit for the info, I can't lol, I just do a lot of research and reading trying to soak up all the info I can. I gleamed this little piece of history from "Nat Sherman's; A Passion For Cigars" great read if you are trying to get some good and interesting history, and really learn about the process, differences and such. -- Jarman
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    wwestern:

I also read somewhere that way back in the day they used to use apple slices for humidty control. I believe it said something about the humidors were copper or bronze boxes that they'd put the apple slices in with the cigars.
    skweekz:
    wwestern:

I also read somewhere that way back in the day they used to use apple slices for humidty control. I believe it said something about the humidors were copper or bronze boxes that they'd put the apple slices in with the cigars.
    This hits the nail on the head. Potatoe wouldn't work as well in my opinion because of the much higher starch content, could be way off though. The apple slices are however a VERY reliable and effective option though. I have used it myself with great success to keep the sticks in good humidity. It naturally keeps the humidity in the storage container (normally a ziploc bag) just around 70% humidity, or just under. Never had an over-humidification issue though. I do tend to get a bit of an apple taste added to them, nothing overpowering however. It's kinda a last ditch effort if you have no other options to keep a stick safe and keep the oils preserved. -- Jarman
  • Did you just cut up an apple and plop it in the bag? I'm quite fascinated with that concept. Did you use a particular variety of apple?
    Yes and no, I used one to two apple slices about 3/4-1" thick (wedge shaped). If I had to guess I don't think the variety matters, but the Red Delicious variety is generally very moist, and not as overpowering flavor as say something like a Granny Smith green apple. Just my 2 cents. -- Jarman
  • Be careful and remove the slices before they "ripen". Trust me, this is a good way to introduce mold into your cigars. I tried it with cigarette tobacco once and ruined a pouch.
    Hippiebrian:
    Be careful and remove the slices before they "ripen". Trust me, this is a good way to introduce mold into your cigars. I tried it with cigarette tobacco once and ruined a pouch.
    Point well made, I should have stated that myself. Thanks for cleaning up after me, and saving my backside buddy!!!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Kitty litter made of silica gel.
  • docbp87:
    HAHAHA.. lmao...kitty litter tasting cigars?
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    howtobass:
    docbp87:

Ummm ... actually he's not kidding . Kitty Litter can be used and several sites have set-up instructions for it .
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    gmill880:
    howtobass:
    docbp87:

Ummm ... actually he's not kidding . Kitty Litter can be used and several sites have set-up instructions for it .
    +1

and if you have access to some salt and distilled water, you can actually VERY accurately control your RH...
  • i'm amazed at least once daily on this forum... good info!
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    5 sticks and a tupperware bowl would last me all of 2 days max, no need to worry about humidity levels. What were you saving them for anyway? The end of the world or something? LOL
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I would save them and trek to CCOM HQ and find The Beard and offer them to him to take me in and protect me with The Beard