Home Cigar 101

New guy

Hello everyone! New to the forum and thought i'd say hello. My buddy introduced me to cigars about 8 months ago. Every time he would have one I would give it a try, and I started to enjoy it more and more. At first, a cigar tasted like a cigar to me, but then I could finally start to tell a difference one day. He never said anything to me, but would encourage me to try the one's he would be smoking. (I never smoked a whole cigar) Finally one day I tried one and said, hey, this has a nutty/sweet taste to it, and I kind of like it. At that point he told me I should start smoking cigars. Since then (about 4 months ago) I've only smoked one cigar. Not because I don't want to, but i'm currently deployed and the cigars they have for sale aren't kept in the right conditions. I've done tons and tons of reading and research to prepare for this new journey, and I don't want to ruin my first experiences with cigars that aren't kept in the right conditions. Needless to say I couldn't wait. I bought a La Uncia #400 and it took me about 40 minutes to smoke it. I read reviews, and they were good, so I was pretty excited. As a first time cigar smoker, smoking my first cigar, I was a little dissapointed. I did my best to evaluate it, and to me the first half was earthy and easy to smoke, and the second half was spicy. I felt as though the spiciness was a little too much. If I had to give it a score from 1-10, I would give it a 5 on how much I personally enjoyed it? (More or less forced myself) But the cigar also seemed hard. So i don't know if this could have been a factor? Maybe it was bad? I'm more or less scared to try any of the others that they have on the shelf. (This is our military BX not a tobacco shop) Luckily for me my buddy is going to send me some for the last two months i'm here so i'm excited. Other than that, the names Brandon and I just wanted to share my first experience with everyone and say hello. I'm also pretty dandy with excel and made an excel product to log What brand, leaf, filler, size, shape, ect. ect., and also have each cigar i'm logging linked to a word document that opens up the company's discription of the cigar and then my opinion after I smoked it. Maybe i'm going a little overboard, but I thought it would be interesting to look at it after i've smoked 100 or more and give them a re-try. I hope to be on here often. Have a great week everyone!

Comments

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. Being deployed makes it a little tough. When you get back it will be much easier to enjoy your newfound pastime. We have a bunch of guys who are in service and have been or are deployed on our forum. They will all chime in with recommendations on how to get good sticks. You didn't say where you were but we appreciate your service. When you get back buy the biggest humidor you can, you will need it.
  • I'm over at UAE, much easier than my brothers and sisters in harsher conditions, but it's my pleasure serving. I just bought a humidor last night actually! The Display II Cigar Humidor from Cheaphumidors. I figured this would be a good starter. I like the visual idea of being able to see everything, and firgured with 3 trays I could organize it by mild, medium and full flavor. I'm sure i'll have tons of questions starting out so, i'll be talking to ya! Nice to meet you.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome to the group! Many here are servicemen, or formerly so, and all are (wife says insanely) passionate about our hobby, sounds like you'll fit right in. It takes time, and time changes things, as you'll find when you go back to that stick that sucked and is now great after a few months in the humidor. Enjoy, and thanks for being where you are.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Welcome to the forums, dude!
  • Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I just got a little more excited after reading a lot of posts and knowing I have a support team!
  • JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    PM to you!

• jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Welcome Bass! I'm active duty as well and have been stateside for about 4 months. Its always nice to have a B&M to visit for good cigars! Your new hobby will take right off once you get home! BUT...while I am deployed, I would buy from Ccom first. Here the cigars are shipped with humi-pillows. As I'm sure you are well aware, it could be a couple weeks to a month before a package landed. The pillows sure make a huge difference! I love a well kept cigar and do my best to ensure every cigar is prime for the picking. Enjoy the hobby and take it slow. Find what you like experiment around that base. Trades are always good and being apart of a pass is fun too.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    howtobass:
    I like the visual idea of being able to see everything, and firgured with 3 COOLERS I could organize it by mild, medium and full flavor. I'm sure i'll have tons of questions starting out so, i'll be talking to ya! Nice to meet you.
    Fixed that for you. Welcome to the boards. Thank you for serving and I hope you get home soon.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Marker:
    howtobass:
    I like the visual idea of being able to see everything, and firgured with 3 COOLERS I could organize it by mild, medium and full flavor. I'm sure i'll have tons of questions starting out so, i'll be talking to ya! Nice to meet you.
    Fixed that for you. Welcome to the boards. Thank you for serving and I hope you get home soon.
    LOL, he just don't know
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Welcome and go buy a cooler!
  • fla-gypsy:
    Marker:
    howtobass:

LOL, he just don't know

I have a feeling this could get as bad as my fishing habbit!!
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    howtobass:
    fla-gypsy:
    Marker:
    howtobass:
    LOL, he just don't know
    I love bass fishing. Enjoy it immensely... but you have stepped into something much, much worse.
  • greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards. Thank you for your service. Alot of good people on here.
  • Marker:
    howtobass:
    fla-gypsy:
    Marker:
    howtobass:

LOL, he just don't know

I love bass fishing. Enjoy it immensely... but you have stepped into something much, much worse.

I haven't worked on it lately, but if you get board, check out my bass fishing site. www.howtobass.com I guess now i'll have something to do inbetween not catching all those fish!
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    welcome to the forum.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum bass!

I just checked out your site...its really nice. My two biggest passions are fishing and cigars! I generally fish a couple times a week (always BASS!), and try to fish as many tournaments as possible. I always have a few cigars with me in the boat for the slower paced times when I can just relax and enjoy the water!

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • dbeckom:
    Welcome to the forum bass!

I just checked out your site...its really nice. My two biggest passions are fishing and cigars! I generally fish a couple times a week (always BASS!), and try to fish as many tournaments as possible. I always have a few cigars with me in the boat for the slower paced times when I can just relax and enjoy the water!
    It seems as though the two will mix well. I'm really happy i've joined here!
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    ENFIDL:
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service!
    +1 and glad to have you with us. Hope you stick around, because you have found the greatest community, on or off line, that there is. :-)

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome brother and a big thanks for your service to our country. You'll find that almost any question you may have is answered somewhere here. But there's never a shortage of people willing to give you any help you may need.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Brandon welcome.. and be sure to stick around. There are many great brothers here to share experience with. Try everything you can get your hands on, you will find when you get back well cared for sticks will be better.
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Welcome, and enjoy your stay.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Welcome to the forum! Much respect for what you do. You've found the right place to be if you are falling in love with cigars. Any thoughts/questions are always welcomed, and there is a wealth of cigar knowledge here. Stick around!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That reminds me of the first time I tried a Decade. I thought it was awful but I put the rest up and tried it again a month later and was in love.
  • Rhamlin:
    That reminds me of the first time I tried a Decade. I thought it was awful but I put the rest up and tried it again a month later and was in love.
    I hope this is the case for me as well!