Home Ratings & Reviews

Rocky Patel Honduran Classic

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
5-30-08 been in humi since 4-14-07
Rocky Patel Honduran Classic, Natural.
Toro 6.5 x 52
Wrapper: Honduran corojo
Filler: Honduran, Nicaraguan.

The cigar is a medium brown in color and is very smooth with a few prominent veins running through. The smell is light and very autumn in nature. The draw, after cutting with a punch, is a bit mossy and coco unlit.
The light is quick.
The first few puffs are earthy and a bit on the bitter side but it settles quickly. The earth remains and a classic corojo flavor comes out: leather, earth, and a bit of spice.
It burns very slow considering the very easy draw. There is a ton of smoke.

The first ash falls at just over an inch. Maybe a hint of coffee comes through. But not much other change.

Approaching the half way point the spice begins to develop more but is still not too strong. Its peppery. A few relights were required by this point. After the half way mark a “roundness” develops. It is thicker like I expect Honduran tobacco to be. The Honduran tobacco has less influence than I expected. It is defiantly a corojo cigar.

With less than 2.5 inches left the flavor begins to flatten out again. It is a medium to full body cigar, but more medium than full. I believe it’s the size that has given it more power.

Burn time: 2 hours 15 min.

I believe that this cigar would do better as a robusto. I also believe that this cigar is a “seasonal” cigar. To me a corojo is best smoked in the fall, just as the leaves are starting to fall, while sitting around the fire.

Burn: 8
Draw: 8
Taste: 8
Aftertaste: 8
Construction: 9
Appearance: 10
Feel: 8

Overall: 8.4

3 smoke rings (of 6) -- an average cigar

I wasn’t disappointed but I wasn’t exactly impressed either.

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Holy crap 2 hours and 15 minutes. Thats a hell of a burn time. This is one of the few RP's I haven't had thanks for the review.
  • btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    Kuzi, What do you think of starting a thread in this section called "Kuzi's Reviews." The only reason I suggest this is that I liked what you have on the other forum where you keep a running tab of your reviews. I always enjoy sifting through that thread after a new smoke and seeing what your thoughts where. Kind of keeps everything in one place. I could always look for the particular stick in the subject line but as they get old and drop off the first page its kind of a pain. Just a thought.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Kuzi, with a review like that you spent as much time explaing it so well as you did smoking it. Great Job. I have had that Rocky too, I enjoyed it for the most part, and your last line is the best description of that stick.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    btmisles:
    Kuzi, What do you think of starting a thread in this section called "Kuzi's Reviews." The only reason I suggest this is that I liked what you have on the other forum where you keep a running tab of your reviews. I always enjoy sifting through that thread after a new smoke and seeing what your thoughts where. Kind of keeps everything in one place. I could always look for the particular stick in the subject line but as they get old and drop off the first page its kind of a pain. Just a thought.
    yeah... i was thinkin of that but i dont wanna go back and transfer all of those over here. I guess i could just start it off here "in the middle" and just post the link to the first page there. give a little blerb on what the catalog is all about. i think i might the next time i review.

here is the link now for those who wanna go there:
    http://www.eotacforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=135&t=40819