Home Cigar 101

Tight Draw

robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
so what causes it and is there a way to avoid/fix it?

I've fired up a few sticks lately that have had REALLY tight draws... i feel like this means I am over humidifying my sticks... anyone know if that's the case?

Comments

• lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    My best guess is what you think. over humidified sticks tend to swell and make the draw tighter. also explains splitting wrappers. Try dry boxing for a few hours prior to smoking.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    that's what I thought... seems logical... but all my humi's are sitting at 68-70%..

i'm going to try dry boxing and see how that works
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Could just be a tight roll too. Hopefully it is a humidity issue, that you can fix.
    i figured the first stick was just tightly rolled... but i's been like 75% of the sticks i've smoked lately...
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's when I break out my trusty poker. A lot of times the first inch or two at the head end is tight from the torcedores using their thumb to mash the last bit of tobacco into place. My poker opens that right up.
    jlmarta:
    That's when I break out my trusty poker. A lot of times the first inch or two at the head end is tight from the torcedores using their thumb to mash the last bit of tobacco into place. My poker opens that right up.
    this might be a little personal, but tell me about your poker...
    robbyras:
    jlmarta:

Oh, you sneaky devil, you. All the girls wanna know the same thing.

Seriously, it's just a piece of the smallest-diameter coathanger wire I could find. I cut mine to a workable length, bent a portion over as a handle on one end, and, voila! A poker! It works so well I cut a shorter one that fits in my herfador and even gets through the TSA screening at airports. Maybe I should patent it???
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    robbyras:
    jlmarta:

Seriously, it's just a piece of the smallest-diameter coathanger wire I could find. I cut mine to a workable length, bent a portion over as a handle on one end, and, voila! A poker! It works so well I cut a shorter one that fits in my herfador and even gets through the TSA screening at airports. Maybe I should patent it???
    On a rare occasion when I need a poker, A paper clip works well.
  • howtobasshowtobass Posts: 589
    I have to ask..... how many times do you poke it and how far down?
  • joshvoigtjoshvoigt Posts: 325
    I use bamboo skewers. They work great and can be had for about .75 cents at the grocery store. They make a Draw Poker that you can use. Just ''Google'' it
    howtobass:

It varies. I usually try it about two inches or so at first and then check it to see if that was enough. Most times it is, and I usually blame that depth on 'torcedore's thumb'.

The reason I use coathanger wire or similar is to avoid using anything pointed on the end. There's an old carpenter's trick of blunting the point of a nail to prevent splitting the wood you're driving it into. With coathanger wire, you can cut the end square so that it acts as a cutter and cuts it's way through the tobacco rather than acting as a wedge (pointed) and forcing it's way through possibly causing your stogie to split.
  • howtobasshowtobass Posts: 589
    jlmarta:
    howtobass:

It varies. I usually try it about two inches or so at first and then check it to see if that was enough. Most times it is, and I usually blame that depth on 'torcedore's thumb'.

The reason I use coathanger wire or similar is to avoid using anything pointed on the end. There's an old carpenter's trick of blunting the point of a nail to prevent splitting the wood you're driving it into. With coathanger wire, you can cut the end square so that it acts as a cutter and cuts it's way through the tobacco rather than acting as a wedge (pointed) and forcing it's way through possibly causing your stogie to split.
    Thanks! It seems like I will have to do this at one time or another. Good to know.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    jlmarta:
    howtobass:

Nice. Adding to my book of tricks.
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    JudoChinX:
    jlmarta:
    howtobass:

Nice. Adding to my book of tricks.
    That's what I've done as well. I didn't know about the blunt end though. That's a pretty neat trick. Fortunately I haven't need to use it but only a couple times.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    this could also be a bad bunch.
    it is very easy to get a plug where the buncher grabs onto the bunch. (usually about an inch in from the head)
    kuzi16:
    this could also be a bad bunch.
    it is very easy to get a plug where the buncher grabs onto the bunch. (usually about an inch in from the head)

That's about where I like the gals to grab my bunch... Oh, wait, wrong thread...... My bad!
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I personally use the last two sections of A stainless steel auto antenna. One is solid and the second has A inside diameter of about A sixteenth of A inch. Most times the solid one unplugs the cigar. On A really tight cigar the second one actually takes A core out and will definitely cure your problem. One word of caution though, never core your cigar more than needed or you may experience tunneling as the burn progresses.
    jlmarta:
    robbyras:
    jlmarta:

did this exact thing last night and it solved all my issues... great tip!
    robbyras:
    jlmarta:
    robbyras:
    jlmarta:

did this exact thing last night and it solved all my issues... great tip!

Glad to be of service, kind sir.
  • ive used the poker on xikar scissors, also works to purge your lighter!