Home Cigar 101

Short filler?

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've got a few Padilla '68s in the lancero vitola and I've noticed that the ash falls off rather easily. Could it be that this vitola uses short filler due to the stick's thinness?

Comments

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I have only smoked a few of these but I don't think these are short filler, if my memory serves correctly. Is the surface area of the ash uneven? If so it is simply a really bad roll. If you sense that the cigar is not as firm as it should be, the roller most likely left gaps between the leaves. (this might not be the best way to describe it but it is the best I can do off hand).
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be. There was a section about a third of the way into the stick that was hard to keep lit and tasted like goat's ass. Beyond that point the burn and taste straightened out but it felt like there were a couple soft spots where maybe there wasn't enough tobacco. The ash looked normal and the taste and burn returned to normal. I just thought that short filler might have been the reason it didn't hold a longer ash. Thanks for the input.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I think that if they roll it with leaves that are too short or if the leaves are torn this can happen too but I am not exactly sure about this. If the ash looks good, this may be the issue but someone else that has more knowledge about the way they roll would help. I have only seen them roll a few myself and I still have a lot to learn about that aspect of it.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it is highly likely that this isnt a bad roll or short filler.
    the lancero is just thin enough that the length of the ash that can be supported is shorter because of the smaller ring.

it could be a bad roll. i mean, lanceros are a very difficult size to roll.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Pretty common for lanceros to not hold ash for very long.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    docbp87:
    Pretty common for lanceros to not hold ash for very long.
    Yea, I've noticed that lanceros can hold anywhere from 50% to 90% of what a larger ring gauge (for example, a robusto) can hold.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    When a buncher prepares the bunch they use a combination of long leaves packed in either a tubed or accordion style. Lets say for sake of argument that a bunch is 8 inches long. Once bunched, the top is pulled off and these small pieces of tobacco are filed into the bunch from head to foot. These broken leaves look very similar to short filler and are found in the center of the bunch. Because a small ring cigar uses fewer leaves overall, the proportion of this broken bunch to long leaf is much higher and give that perception. Also, for a complex blend that say requires 4 to 5 varieties of filler, full leaves are often broken down even further since they simply can't bunch full long leaves and still make it in the same vitola. This is especially true for highly complex blends such as the Liga Privada Dirty Rat. One of the challenges in making that particular cigar is cramming all the variety of leaves in such a small ring. That may be what you are noticing.