Home Non Cigar Related

Hey guys need a little ...

Looks like after a visit to my heart doctor today I will be going in for a heart cath for a looksey Friday the 30th . Had what I felt like were a couple of minor issues that he obviously felt differently about than my opinion . Since he has the medical degree and I don't I guess I'll just defer to him and let him make that call. Anyway just throw a prayer or a good word out to the man upstairs for me that everythings good and I'm back home by this time tommorow nite . Thanks BOTL's and SOTL's !!! Gene

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sayin' a prayer for you, bro
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    My prayers out also my friend...my father had some things check eailer this year with his heart that saved him...listen to the doc they truely want to help.....
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Good luck Gene.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Hang in there, brother. Keep that ticker healthy.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wife and I both have you in our thoughts and prayers. I wish all the best news my friend
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say a few prayers for ya, my friend. And the doctors are on your side. I had my first heart attack back in 1989 and, according to my cardiologist, I'm in much better condition now than I was then. No doubt your doctor can do the same for you. Keep your chin up, Dude.....
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    You'll be in my prayers Gene!
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Thoughts and preys from my family to yours.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Prayer made
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Gene, you will certainly be in our thoughts bro'.

You make sure that you check back in with us ASAP so we know you are OK. You have been through a lot of stress in the past year or so. You could use another vacation.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Hang in there, bro.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers guys .

The heart cath was way beyond my expectations. My doctor said the former stent that was put in back in 2009 was still doing its job beautifully . He also said there was no sign of any new blockages at all and that my heart really looked very good and healthy !!! Stress and axiety with having lost my father in law ( a guy who treated me every bit as if I were his son ) and then my dad , plus some other issues involving my son and all the drama with my dads ex-family before he passed , and now the will drama as executor , crazy renters and all crammed into a 16-17 month period, DAMN ... can a brother catch a break !!! But we gonna concentrate on not sweatin the little things , control what you can control and never mind the rest , and work on losin about 75 lbs hopefully in the next 12 months . Heart doctor was very serious about stress factor . He said if you don't think stress will kill ya just keep burning the candle at both ends and you will have a heart attack for sure with your family history of heart disease .

Thanks guys for all the responses You are very much appreciated ! Gene
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Glad to hear it Gene, please do take care of yourself, we want you around for as long as possible.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    AWESOME news Gene. I told you... you just need a couple of weeks on a beach somewhere. Tonights stick is in your honor Gene.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Wow Gene, Just read this. I am glad for the doctors positive findings. And I will continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Have a good weekend brother.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just saw this brother. Glad things worked out. But definitely sounds like you need to distance yourself from some stress. Easier said than done I know. Good luck and pray on it. God won't throw anything in your way you can't handle as long as you keep faith.
    Thanks guys . This just sittin around the house is about to drive ma crazy already . Doc didn't want me to smoke any cigars for at least a week , dang , bummer ! Now would be the perfect time to hit the back deck with a woodford reserve and some good sticks .
    gmill880:
    Thanks guys . This just sittin around the house is about to drive ma crazy already . Doc didn't want me to smoke any cigars for at least a week , dang , bummer ! Now would be the perfect time to hit the back deck with a woodford reserve and some good sticks .

Your doc's okay with you smoking cigars?? And you're a heart patient? I wonder what my cardiologist would say if he knew I burned a stick fairly regularly. Hmmm. He'd probably **** a brick. LOL
    jlmarta:
    gmill880:

Your doc's okay with you smoking cigars?? And you're a heart patient? I wonder what my cardiologist would say if he knew I burned a stick fairly regularly. Hmmm. He'd probably **** a brick. LOL

Yeah my heart doctor is a regular cigar smoker himself . He told me when I had my heart attack almost 2yrs and 3 mos ago that I could still smoke 'em and this is a direct quote " If anyone ever tells you that cigar smoking is 100 % for sure going to cause you to have another heart attack or is 100 % beyond a shadow of a doubt bad for you , they are not telling you the whole story or the whole truth . " I suspect family history and genes comes into play a great deal here . As in most things , there is probably some danger especially with my family history of heart disease but you know what ? I could get hit by lightning or be in a car crash just as easily , so I'm not going to sweat it . One thing the last 17 months has taught me ( seeing the two most important men in my life die from cancer and its ugly effects ) is that I intend to live every day as close as I can to the way I want to !!!
    gmill880:

and this is a direct quote " If anyone ever tells you that cigar smoking is 100 % for sure going to cause you to have another heart attack or is 100 % beyond a shadow of a doubt bad for you , they are not telling you the whole story or the whole truth . "

Sounds like your doc is an honest one. I have every faith in mine but I'd bet he'd have a hissy-fit about me smoking them. I won't lie if he asks me directly, but I don't plan to volunteer that info. I mean, I'll be 75 next month and I believe that, using the concept of 'all things in moderation', I doubt I'll be shortening my life to any great degree with my stogies.
    jlmarta:
    gmill880:

and this is a direct quote " If anyone ever tells you that cigar smoking is 100 % for sure going to cause you to have another heart attack or is 100 % beyond a shadow of a doubt bad for you , they are not telling you the whole story or the whole truth . "

Sounds like your doc is an honest one. I have every faith in mine but I'd bet he'd have a hissy-fit about me smoking them. I won't lie if he asks me directly, but I don't plan to volunteer that info. I mean, I'll be 75 next month and I believe that, using the concept of 'all things in moderation', I doubt I'll be shortening my life to any great degree with my stogies.

I totally agree with you . I have always been straight-forward when asked about them and did see a doctor once filling in for my doc at this same practice and he about flipped out when I told him I was still smoking them . He got all huffy and pissey about it and almost had my wife in tears which made me madder than anything . After listning to his rant and seeing the look on my wifes face I told him He might be the doctor but since it was my life and my money paying him As far as I was concerned that made me the boss and if I wanted to smoke a cigar I would any Damn time I felt like it . I guess he wasn't used to patients speaking up because he looked like he was in total shock or had just been slapped . Needless to say my appointment was over hahaha .
    Yeah, and if I had a dollar for every doctor who enjoyed a stick or two on the golf course, I could take my child bride out to a pretty nice dinner, I'll bet. With most of 'em it seems to be "Do as I say, not as I do". And there are any number of studies availiable that show that cigar smokers have only a slightly larger chance of dying from either cancer or heart disease (like about 1.2% greater than someone who never smoked) you'd think doctors would 'fess up to it.
    kaspera79:
    Wow Gene, Just read this. I am glad for the doctors positive findings. And I will continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Have a good weekend brother.
    Just caught this thread myself, really truly sorry for the very rough past 17 months, it is incredibly difficult watching someone you love go through that. Glad that things are looking up, and you're in our thoughts and prayers my friend! FANTASTIC news on your heart, and here's to wishing you the best from here on out! -- Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    I'd love to know how many doctors really smoke cigars . Even heart doctors ( I know one , mine !!! ) .
    fIRST DAY BACK AT WORK --- FEELS GREAT !
    Great to hear man!!! Keep it up, and take it easy, nothing is worth putting you on the edge my friend :)