Home Cigar 101

Storage Help

I just got back from a Kristoff event at the local shop and ended up coming home with a box. I thought i had more room than I did and I have some of my sprint sales coming in tommarow and I was wondering if a gallon ziploc bag with the water pillow from the shipment will be alright for long term storage or should i use it as only a short term solution.

Comments

• RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Got any Tupperware? I had to resort to that with a few box purchases while back. Tossed in a couple water pillows and has been fine. Just have to "burp" it from time to time but has worked well in the past and its a great short term fix until you get a humidor or coolador up and running.
  • thank you. ill look into the coolador.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I like this guy. He's not messing around. Straight to the cooler!
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    That's the best bet. A gallon bag will work but the cooler will be best. Look into some Spanish cedar to insert in there as well for shelving or as a liner.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    5 posts and he is going coolador already, got to love the guy!
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum first of all, but your making the right choice with getting a cooler....
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send them to me. I just upgraded my humi I'll hold em for ya. Wink wink.
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakota72:
    That's the best bet. A gallon bag will work but the cooler will be best. Look into some Spanish cedar to insert in there as well for shelving or as a liner.
    +1 Agreed, a gallon bag will work for years for $0.05. A cooler will work as well but if you only have a box I'd just use the bag until you smoke down some room in the humi. Spanish ceder is great if you like it to merry with your cigars over the years, if not, mahogany or even simple plastic bins and boxes will work well for storage within the cooler. They are also cheap and require less humidity to maintain than wood.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CAcigarguy007:
    Lakota72:
    +1 Agreed, a gallon bag will work for years for $0.05. A cooler will work as well but if you only have a box I'd just use the bag until you smoke down some room in the humi. Spanish ceder is great if you like it to merry with your cigars over the years, if not, mahogany or even simple plastic bins and boxes will work well for storage within the cooler. They are also cheap and require less humidity to maintain than wood.
    I'm truly not harping on you my friend, but your advice on storage issues ALONE seem to fly in the face of decades of experience from people much much more respected and knowledgeable than you or I. Plastics bags actually will NOT work for years for several reasons, not the least of which is they actually do deteriorate fairly quickly, they do not hold humidity long term, and they are the perfect environment for mold and bacteria to grow in... it's nearly a petri dish that is flexible and actually does breath (hence it wont hold humidity at the proper level long term).

I want it to be CRYSTAL CLEAR, I AM NOT RIPPING ON YOU, CALLING YOU NAMES, OR SAYING YOU ARE STUPID. I am only saying that I believe you are very miss-informed. There are several very reputable and easy to acquire resources that may help inform you if you wish, and you can PM me for details if you are interested.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Lakota72:
    I agree that ziplock bags work GREAT for SHORT TERM storage but not for any type of long term. Wanted to make sure what I said was not miss-read.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    90+ Irishman:
    CAcigarguy007:
    Lakota72:
    I'm truly not harping on you my friend, but your advice on storage issues ALONE seem to fly in the face of decades of experience from people much much more respected and knowledgeable than you or I. Plastics bags actually will NOT work for years for several reasons, not the least of which is they actually do deteriorate fairly quickly, they do not hold humidity long term, and they are the perfect environment for mold and bacteria to grow in... it's nearly a petri dish that is flexible and actually does breath (hence it wont hold humidity at the proper level long term).

I want it to be CRYSTAL CLEAR, I AM NOT RIPPING ON YOU, CALLING YOU NAMES, OR SAYING YOU ARE STUPID. I am only saying that I believe you are very miss-informed. There are several very reputable and easy to acquire resources that may help inform you if you wish, and you can PM me for details if you are interested.
    You see that is the difference between you and me. I don't really care what "everybody else says". You can put a tiny air hole in and it will last for over a year no problem. You can buy the "people much much more respected" hype if you want to but I wouldn't regurgitate it as gospel. Especially to someone who has actually done it before. You're entitled to your opinion and to regurgitate "what everybody else says" if you want and I'm entitled to my opinions and to state my past experiences, though I usually choose the latter. While I appreciate your concern, I'll take my experience over "what everybody else says" or some "expert" who thinks everyone should copy them and have the same set up and opinion they do any day of the week. Not trying to flame either, just sayin.
    CAcigarguy007:
    90+ Irishman:
    CAcigarguy007:
    Lakota72:

You see that is the difference between you and me. I don't really care what "everybody else says". You can put a tiny air hole in and it will last for over a year no problem. You can buy the "people much much more respected" hype if you want to but I wouldn't regurgitate it as gospel. Especially to someone who has actually done it before. You're entitled to your opinion and to regurgitate "what everybody else says" if you want and I'm entitled to my opinions and to state my past experiences, though I usually choose the latter. While I appreciate your concern, I'll take my experience over "what everybody else says" or some "expert" who thinks everyone should copy them and have the same set up and opinion they do any day of the week. Not trying to flame either, just sayin.
    You know what, fair enough. I am realllly not interested in a flame war, so lets part ways respectfully and walk away. Enjoy your sticks, I am truly grateful for you being interested in the passion and hobby, I'm glad it works for you, but I'll just take my physics, chemistry, and industry experience and go perch.... later.
  • I didnt mean to start a flame war. Thanks for everyones help. I have looked into the coolidor idea. Im sure there is some info in a past thread on here so can anyone point me in the right direction.
    walsh29:
    I didnt mean to start a flame war. Thanks for everyones help. I have looked into the coolidor idea. Im sure there is some info in a past thread on here so can anyone point me in the right direction.
    You didn't start anything my friend, and I know since your new you are worried, but you didn't do anything wrong brother. Put in the search bar "coolidor construction" and it will get you where you want to go. Nothing is wrong bud, and we are all good, trust me there is no hard feelings going on over in this end buddy :)
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    walsh29:
    I just got back from a Kristoff event at the local shop and ended up coming home with a box. I thought i had more room than I did and I have some of my sprint sales coming in tommarow and I was wondering if a gallon ziploc bag with the water pillow from the shipment will be alright for long term storage or should i use it as only a short term solution.
    when i first started 5-6 years ago i had mold issues when i used a ziploc bag for longterm storage. it worked fine for a few months. but went bad quick
    415:
    walsh29:
    when i first started 5-6 years ago i had mold issues when i used a ziploc bag for longterm storage. it worked fine for a few months. but went bad quick
    Honestly, this is all I was trying to say. Hit the nail on the head, thanks for posting your experience 415, real life is much better than theory, so I appreciate it brother!
    415:
    walsh29:
    Did you put a small hole in it and make it bigger as needed until set for your climate zone? If so, I doubt you would have had issues. I'm a bay cat too and have done this with no issues. Even if you seal a Tupperware container you will basically have the same thing and many botl fail to mention that they leave their lids cracked or punch a hole in the container to allow for a air-exchange just like a humi. Same thing goes for gallon zip-bags: you need to put a hole and possibly keep expanding it until it sets and regulates in the zone, just like any other plastic storage device. Just the facts, not a failed experiment from bad original advice. From personal experience, just sayin.
  • If I run into this problem again ill just have to start trading I guess. It might be awhile though. The girlfriend is upset about some money being taken away from the cruise fund for a box buy.
    CAcigarguy007:
    415:
    walsh29:
    Did you put a small hole in it and make it bigger as needed until set for your climate zone? If so, I doubt you would have had issues. I'm a bay cat too and have done this with no issues. Even if you seal a Tupperware container you will basically have the same thing and many botl fail to mention that they leave their lids cracked or punch a hole in the container to allow for a air-exchange just like a humi. Same thing goes for gallon zip-bags: you need to put a hole and possibly keep expanding it until it sets and regulates in the zone, just like any other plastic storage device. Just the facts, not a failed experiment from bad original advice. From personal experience, just sayin.
    i didnt make a hole in the bag but i did use one of theose ziploc bags with the zipper that slides back an forth. left it slightly open.
    it didnt work out for me, but that dosnt mean it wont work. i know a half dozen people that have done this without problems.

in a pinch i will store cigars in a bag for a week or so. But now that i have an 80 quart cooler and a locker at the b&m storage is seldom an issue
    415:
    CAcigarguy007:
    415:
    walsh29:
    i didnt make a hole in the bag but i did use one of theose ziploc bags with the zipper that slides back an forth. left it slightly open.
    it didnt work out for me, but that dosnt mean it wont work. i know a half dozen people that have done this without problems.

in a pinch i will store cigars in a bag for a week or so. But now that i have an 80 quart cooler and a locker at the b&m storage is seldom an issue
    I thought about doing the locker thing, what B&M do you usually hit up? Been thinking of setting up a Bay Area Herf; a SOTL from the other site and myself are the only ones in right now but I been thinking since there seems to be a good number of us maybe we could do a big 'Ol herf.
    pm sent CAcigarguy007
    415:
    pm sent CAcigarguy007
    /////Received/replied.
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    I simply use the bags for short term till I can get the cigars put in a humidor or the pelican case.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Lakota72:
    I simply use the bags for short term till I can get the cigars put in a humidor or the pelican case.
    ==>Same here, mine stay in the bag until I can sort them in the cooler