Home Ratings & Reviews

Graycliff Double Espresso

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
I had one of these for the first time last night. And truthfully, it was my first ever Graycliff and have to say it was a great cigar. I kinda had a bad impression of Graycliff due to the horror stories I hear regarding the 1666. But this cigar had a great flavor, well balanced. I tasted some coffee notes in it too. I smoked it while sitting on JZs front porch during a thunderstorm, very relaxing.

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    Didn't the Graycliff Double espresso win best cigar of 2009? or something along those lines?
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    This is one of my favorite cigars. A fantastic after dinner smoke. It's expensive, but it's worth it to me.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Nice - I want to try this one too now! Adding it to my list of Graycliffs to try :)...
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I had one a few days ago, and was sort of disappointed. I'm probably going to stay away from Graycliff in the future.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I liked the flavor of the stick but I had really bad burn problems with it. After some rest I'm going to spark another. Hopefully it was a fluke...
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    GadwinDuil:
    Didn't the Graycliff Double espresso win best cigar of 2009? or something along those lines?
    Actually, the Padron Family Reserve No. 45 Maduro won top choice...which I actually have a box of...(well, not maduro, but Natural wrapper). As for the rest of the Top 25...I can't remember if the DE was in the ranking or not. Guess I will have to go check, cuz now I'm curious.

"Long ashes my friends."

phobicsquirrel:
    I liked the flavor of the stick but I had really bad burn problems with it. After some rest I'm going to spark another. Hopefully it was a fluke...
    My DE had about 6-12months of age on it before I smoked it. I still had to touch up a couple of spots, but it wasn't bad as say...a RP Royal Vintage or the 1666.

"Long ashes my friends."

Russ55:
    This is one of my favorite cigars. A fantastic after dinner smoke. It's expensive, but it's worth it to me.
    I got one in that super premium sampler that ccom had a while back, and traded for some more. Good cigar, but to me, if the cigar doesn't blow my socks off, perfect burn, perfect construction, flawless wrapper,..etc... I don't think it's worth $20+.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Krieg:
    Russ55:
    I got one in that super premium sampler that ccom had a while back, and traded for some more. Good cigar, but to me, if the cigar doesn't blow my socks off, perfect burn, perfect construction, flawless wrapper,..etc... I don't think it's worth $20+.
    Now that I think of it, I don't pay $20+ for any cigar. Worth it or not. I have once or twice actually, but not as a rule. I think I got my current DE's for like $5 or $6 a piece. I can get them for around $10 a piece with the cotm discount, but I don't know if I even want to pay that. I figure they'll go on sale again sometime.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    GadwinDuil:
    Actually, the Padron Family Reserve No. 45 Maduro won top choice...which I actually have a box of...(well, not maduro, but Natural wrapper). As for the rest of the Top 25...I can't remember if the DE was in the ranking or not. Guess I will have to go check, cuz now I'm curious.
    So you liked the natural more? Have you had the 26 80ths?
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Russ55:
    Krieg:
    Russ55:
    Now that I think of it, I don't pay $20+ for any cigar. Worth it or not. I have once or twice actually, but not as a rule. I think I got my current DE's for like $5 or $6 a piece. I can get them for around $10 a piece with the cotm discount, but I don't know if I even want to pay that. I figure they'll go on sale again sometime.
    Call you ccom rep and ask him to make a sale for you! The worst thing they can say is no, right? I've never asked about the DE, but I'll bet it is similar to the 1666 or any of the Gurkha line - retail price is really, really jacked up and they have some room to move in order to hook you up on the price.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I had my first Double Espresso last night. The flavor was ok and had some parts where it really jumped out at me. The construction was mediocre. The burn was off after the first ash and I had to keep an eye on it for the remainder of the smoke. Not worth the $20 pricetag but it might be worth it if you can find it for $6 and under.
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    i cant remember if i have one of these sitting or not. Did one come in a recent COTM package?
    phobicsquirrel:
    Krieg:
    GadwinDuil:
    So you liked the natural more? Have you had the 26 80ths?
    I haven't had any of the Family Reserves yet, I am going to smoke my first one when I come home from the hospital for the birth of my 2nd son... and Tim sent me the naturals because that was the only box he had! I haven't had any 1926s yet...but have had the 1964, those are fantastic.

"Long ashes my friends."

sightunseen:
    I had my first Double Espresso last night. The flavor was ok and had some parts where it really jumped out at me. The construction was mediocre. The burn was off after the first ash and I had to keep an eye on it for the remainder of the smoke. Not worth the $20 pricetag but it might be worth it if you can find it for $6 and under.
    same here, mine get going out in the last 3rd, and a few minor corrections in the burn was needed.

"Long ashes my friends."

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Krieg:
    sightunseen:
    same here, mine get going out in the last 3rd, and a few minor corrections in the burn was needed.
    Yea, nothing catastrophic, but really annoying.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    GadwinDuil:
    It won the gold medal in the super premium category among the 2009 awards Ccom picked themselves. Silver went to Padilla 1932 and bronze to Gurkha legend.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    betasynn:
    I had one a few days ago, and was sort of disappointed. I'm probably going to stay away from Graycliff in the future.
    +1... smoked one last night, it was bad. Had a very bad chemical taste to it. Just not a fan of the Graycliff.
    cholmes8310:
    betasynn:
    +1... smoked one last night, it was bad. Had a very bad chemical taste to it. Just not a fan of the Graycliff.
    Sorry to hear it, maybe a little age might have improved the cigar some.

"Long ashes my friends."

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    cholmes8310:
    betasynn:
    I've had 7-8 of the Double Espressos and have never gotten that, not saying you're wrong, just commenting on my experience. Also, my experience with the DE has been that the fresh ones are ok, but if you can put 12-18 months on them they really blossom into a truly excellent cigar. Then again, Graycliff just might not be a cigar brand for you...I happen to think the Bahama-made blends are very good, but I've also talked with people who dislike Graycliff regardless of where they're made.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    cholmes8310:
    betasynn:
    sorry to hear that! my humi is doing fantastic :D
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Alex Williams:
    cholmes8310:
    betasynn:
    sorry to hear that! my humi is doing fantastic :D
    That's good. Trust me, that trade was good without the DE. The rest of those sticks are doing just fine. haha.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    I smoked one of these tonight, and I liked it. It was tasty and had a very relaxing kind of power to it. It only had a slightly uneven burn and required one touch up but not bad at all. I didn't get any chemical taste out of it, just smooth and yummy. My palate is a bit muted due to a cold I'm getting over, but what I got out of it was good. I can see how these will age well and look forward to it.
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Well, I had my first one this morning. jbraslins gave this to me a couple months back. It's been resting comfortably and I decided today was a perfect day to have it.

this Cigar started off very nutty for me. almost a hazelnut flavor. The wrap was very well constructed and had a spicy flavor to it. Virtually no spice in the burn of the cigar. As it burned, it put off a ton of very white aromatic smoke.

midway through the cigar it began picking up more of a dark chocolate/cocoa flavor. As the cigar ended, it had very toasty notes.

all in all this was a very nice cigar for me and I will definitely revisit this.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    The Double Espresso remains my favorite stick. Any time there is a sale I pick up a stash. They do need to rest for a few months, longer is better. Also, before smoking one you need to feel around the cigar for any soft spots. Find a soft spot, put it back for more time in the humi. With proper rest, they burn perfectly.
    I really think the rest time it had helped the cigar develop. I am definitely a fan.
  • djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    I had two hand rolled for me while I was in the Bahamas! I can't wait to try one.
    djbeenie:
    I had two hand rolled for me while I was in the Bahamas! I can't wait to try one.
    I am quite jealous.
  • wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Lakota72:
    I really think the rest time it had helped the cigar develop. I am definitely a fan.
    I've had the exact opposite experience with these. ROTT I love these the really hit with the coffee and coco notes. Smoked one with about 8 months on it the other day.... just muddled everything and none of the excitement popped out at me. I think I smoked one at ROTT, 3 months, 6 months and 8 months and each one has been less eventful.
    Wow. Sorry to hear that. I may have to order a couple and try it ROTT.