Home Ratings & Reviews

RP Vintage '92

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
I had my first 92 last night, and I was disappointed with the smoke. As soon I clipped off the cap, the cigar started to unravel and falling apart. I don't know what happened, my humi has been 68-70 so I didn't think the cigar was dried out. I had to take off most of the wrapper and try to smoke the cigar, but it just wasn't the same. By the the time I got toward then, the whole thing just basically fell completely apart. This is the first time I had this kind of problem with a Rocky Patel Vintage, or any other RP for that matter.

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    sounds like you clipped off too much of the cap
  • Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    How much did you cut? I always try to take off the least amount possible because I've had a couple unravel after cutting too far.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    i clipped off just a tiny bit of the cap, i like to leave the edges rounded.

"Long ashes my friends."

Odd.. where did it start to unravel -- at the lips or the cherry? If it's at the lips, and you didn't cut off the cap, I would only throw out a theory that you used a dull cutter and perhaps caused a small tear at the cap where it joins the wrapper. But I'm no expert on this, and I've only see an unraveling occur when you cut off too much of the cap.
  • bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    Sometimes these things happen. Sucks when it does, but keep in mind that these things are handmade, and human error can occur at many different places.

RP puts out a good product, I think you just got unlucky. I guess all you can hope for is that you don't get another like that!
    bass8844:
    Sometimes these things happen. Sucks when it does, but keep in mind that these things are handmade, and human error can occur at many different places.

RP puts out a good product, I think you just got unlucky. I guess all you can hope for is that you don't get another like that!
    Ain't that the truth, I never had an issue with a RP before last night. And I always cut my cigars the same way. I kinda noticed my cigar cutter sticking a little, maybe it was the cutter that did it. It's just a cheap plastic double Guillotine.

"Long ashes my friends."

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Cutting your cigar the same way everytime isn't good enough. You need to take a look at the cap of the cigar and make sure you don't completely cut it off, if you do the cigar will unwrap everytime.

Second go get yourself a good cutter. Lighters are one thing you can get away with a cheap one but you need a good cutter. It doesn't have to be expensive just quality. No easier way to tear up a cigar than with a poor cutter.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I find the cap nearly always comes completely off before I finish a cigar. The combination of steam, saliva, and being puffed on does it in every time. It comes off in one piece -- a tidy little ring. Only rarely does the wrapper then come undone.

That's not the same thing as cutting the entire cap off an unlit cigar, though. I can see where that would undo the wrapper just about every time.
    urbino:
    I find the cap nearly always comes completely off before I finish a cigar. The combination of steam, saliva, and being puffed on does it in every time. It comes off in one piece -- a tidy little ring. Only rarely does the wrapper then come undone.
    That has never happened to me
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Well, I really enjoy a good Rocky Pate Vintage '92. as often as I can. But today I found a Patel that really won me over.. The Nording is the best Patel I have had to date. This cigar, in my opinion rates as a " buy by the box " cigar. Tons of flavor, great construction, smooth, try this one if you happen to see them. I can't believe how much I enjoyed this cigar. This stick came from jOz3r, who I am now forever in his debt. Thanks again joe..this was a great find..
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Definetly thank him! One of my all time favorites. But they are becoming next to impossible to find. Let me know if you do find someone who carries them, for future reference.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Funny you should say that.. I will send you a PM.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Hmm, the 92 is definitely among my favorites. So I think I'll have to act on Kasper's recommendation and try to find a nording. All and all, I'm a big RP fan. Love the 92, love the RP meritage, decade, old world reserve, edge, lite. So the nording sounds like a must-try.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    Definetly thank him! One of my all time favorites. But they are becoming next to impossible to find. Let me know if you do find someone who carries them, for future reference.
    Pm sent.

Glad to hear you liked the Nording Kas, it is a good smoke. Actually, I think it is about time I tried another to see how a few months has done them.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Luko:
    Hmm, the 92 is definitely among my favorites. So I think I'll have to act on Kasper's recommendation and try to find a nording. All and all, I'm a big RP fan. Love the 92, love the RP meritage, decade, old world reserve, edge, lite. So the nording sounds like a must-try.
    If you were to PM me your address, some Nordings might just find their way into your mailbox. *hint hint*
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    The '92 has been one of my favorites since I started smoking! It was one of the first cigars I ever tried and was blown away by the first puff! I'm a fan of the RP line, but the Decade, the '92, and the Edge Maduro are my favorites. I do need to try the Nording. I might have to stop by the B&M on the way home today and see if they have any.
    Have you bought any of the '92 Vintage Segundos? I just smoked one about a week ago and it was awesome. Great smoke + Great price.

"Long ashes my friends."

madurofan:
    Cutting your cigar the same way everytime isn't good enough. You need to take a look at the cap of the cigar and make sure you don't completely cut it off, if you do the cigar will unwrap everytime.

Second go get yourself a good cutter. Lighters are one thing you can get away with a cheap one but you need a good cutter. It doesn't have to be expensive just quality. No easier way to tear up a cigar than with a poor cutter.
    So I took your advice and bought a Xikar Titanium. Gonna give it a try this weekend. Hopefully I will not have anymore unraveling issues.

"Long ashes my friends."

• kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    I have had zero wrapper problems after a cut, since going to a good cutter (happen to get a Xikar, many others are good obviously).
  • JKTexJKTex Posts: 92
    I was worried after by disaster with an OWR toro which have been in my humi for the same mount of time as some '92 toro's, but I smoked on Saturday night.

I don't know what it was, close to 2 months in the humi or the fact I was i a hot tub, but it was awesome.  As usual with the Vintage ('90 and '92 anyway) very smooth and this one wasn't even as strong, I didn't think, as the 1-2 robusto's I'm smoked.

The '92 was awesome!!  I just wish I had time to finish it completly.  Big Smile [:D]
    JKTex:
    I was worried after by disaster with an OWR toro which have been in my humi for the same mount of time as some '92 toro's, but I smoked on Saturday night.

I don't know what it was, close to 2 months in the humi or the fact I was i a hot tub, but it was awesome.  As usual with the Vintage ('90 and '92 anyway) very smooth and this one wasn't even as strong, I didn't think, as the 1-2 robusto's I'm smoked.

The '92 was awesome!!  I just wish I had time to finish it completly.  Big Smile [:D]
    Glad you liked it, might want to think about getting some '92 Segundos.

"Long ashes my friends."