Home Cigar 101

Driving and smoking

Anyone else like to smoke while they drive? I thin its great on longer drives.

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Pipes and cigars - totally great for long drives :)
  • A couple of my motorcycle buddies always smoke while we ride, havnt tried it yet personally but they love it.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Sometimes I do. If I'm sitting in traffic, a nice cigar helps keep me sane among the morons who have not been able to grasp how to use one of these new-fangled auto cars. On the flip side, if traffic is moving along I tend to smoke too fast and get no enjoyment.
  • This is where I do the majority of my smoking. Especially when I have like 4 to 10 hour drives for work ahead of me or it is in the middle of the night I go through quite a few cigars in the process. I can't say that I would rather not be enjoying a cold beer or some scotch with my cigars instead.
  • danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    I drive a truck around 1500 miles a week for a living on my longer 3+ hour drives it helps to have a cigar although I have noticed i let them go out a lot more often and don't pay the right amount of attention to them, so I tend to bring "everyday" cheaper smokes to work.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I'm never in the car long enough for a cigar. I used to smoke exclusively in my vehicle at my old house, but in my current apartment I have a killer balcony... So no need for that anymore. I smoke a pipe in the car all the time though, during the winter especially.
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    dopeyferree:
    A couple of my motorcycle buddies always smoke while we ride, havnt tried it yet personally but they love it.
    dosnt that cause the cigar to burn hot?
    never tried to smoke on a bike but when i was in my friends s2000 with the top down the cigar burned so hot it ruined the flavor. ( then again we we were going 90 mph as well)

i smoke anytime im driving over 100 miles and when im going to a place where its ok to smoke like the b&m or the beach.i tend to not be able to pay enough attention to a cigar while driving so most of the time its a 3- 10$ stick
  • Yeah iusualy smoke my go to sticks and not something new im smoking for driving. My commute to work is pretty short, 35-40minutes. Ive been smokin Rockey Patel Sun Grown Juniors. For hour long drives Ive had my J fuego origen originals.but i do notice they go out more often, and i ash on my self because i dont pay attention.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I've grown to really dislike smoking while driving. I'll do it out of desperation sometimes, if I haven't had a cigar in a while and the opportunity doesn't look like it will be coming anytime soon, but if I can help it I much prefer smoking where I can sit and relax and enjoy the flavors. Something about smoking while driving I just don't get the most out of my sticks.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I have smoked more cigars while driving than at any other time. I have long comutes every day. an hour plus easily each way. But, I will not smoke a cigar in the dark. I need to see the cigar to get the full experience.
  • e6specialke6specialk Posts: 216
    I have about an hour commute to work, having a cigar on the way seems to make the drive more relaxing and I seem to be in a much better mood once I get to work.
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Just had a MOW PA on the way home from WI. Was great. Wouldve been better if it wasnt raining!
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    I do when I can but my drive to work is only 10 minutes in the snow, or I've got one of the kids with me....i have to say a cigarette is my pick while drivin...
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do it from time to time, I always enjoy it. But my wife always complains about the smell.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I do it sometimes on the ride home from work. Usually takes about an hour or so. Perfect time to relax with a stick. BUT...i have found myself looking for some place to ash the cigar...I usually resort to out the window...then I am looking for some place to put the dead cigar! I'd never toss it out the window since it has such a big cherry on it. I have to do a little bit of preplanning to smoke in the truck, but I make it happen every now and then.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Traveling with the camper, any trip over an hour? Why definitely. The big problem is the ashing. A regular cigarette ashtray just doesn't do the job. You need one where you can put the cigar down and know that it won't go sailing if you make a quick move. Turning a vehicle with a double corona in your hand can be dangerous. LOL. OH, and don't exhale in the direction of the wife.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    What do you gents use as an ashtray? I don't normally smoke in the car, but with Winter coming and my 1:10 minute drive I might do it. But I don't want to ash out the window for that would get ashes everywhere, I'd like to ash in a cup/bin if I could. Any good ideas or products?
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    What do you gents use as an ashtray? I don't normally smoke in the car, but with Winter coming and my 1:10 minute drive I might do it. But I don't want to ash out the window for that would get ashes everywhere, I'd like to ash in a cup/bin if I could. Any good ideas or products?
    funny u said that, i have bucket seats in my truck so i just put one of my trays in the middle...works lke a charm....
  • Lasabar:

I don't use an ashtray when smoking in the vehicle, the front window should have some sort of profile. So what I do is have it down maybe a quarter inch for the smoke to escape while I'm smoking it. Then when it is time to ash I roll it down to an inch and move my cigar to the front of the window not the top and this allows the ash to go outside without blowing back in the vehicle. But typically my long drives involve setting cruise control and rolling down the interstate so there isn't hardly any turning of the wheel involved. I would not attempt to smoke a cigar in rush hour traffic I think that would be dangerous, just lighting it alone involves using my legs to keep the wheel straight and sometimes causes temporary night blindness. I might rest my cigar in the vehicles ashtray if I need to put it down for a little, like if I have to make a phone call, lol, but that's about it.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I cut the top off of a soda can, and then folded the sharp edge into the can, I guess a soup can or something similar would work as long as it fits into the cup holder of your car.
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    get a chepo cup holder(the type that clips onto the vent) i put mine on the drivers side vent cause im left handed then buy an ashtray that is made to fit in a cup holder. i use the XIKAR Portable Ash Can
  • I used to do it often when I had a 14 year old Saturn. I guess I didn't worry about smell or the odd burn mark with an old beater. Now that I got a newer car I don't want it to be affected by the cigar smoking
    I also would rather smoke a cigar with a beverage, even coffee. This means a road cigar needs some prior planning or a stop to get something.
  • Lasabar:
    I use a cigar bobken. Works like a charm.

http://www.stogiereview.com/2008/03/29/cigar-bobken-cup-holder-ashtray/
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭