Home Cigar 101

smoke temp's

I smoked a cigar that was size 40. This has been the smallest cigar i've smoked and noticed it burned a little hotter than the larger ones i've smoked. It wasn't unpleasant, just an observation. Is this common? I didn't change any smoking habbit. Thanks!

Comments

• JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Yes, smaller gauges burn hotter. I suppose it's because of the amount of air being moved during a puff is going to be the same regardless of gauge, so you get more air over a smaller amount of leaf which in turn makes it burn longer / hotter.
  • howtobasshowtobass Posts: 589
    JudoChinX:
    Yes, smaller gauges burn hotter. I suppose it's because of the amount of air being moved during a puff is going to be the same regardless of gauge, so you get more air over a smaller amount of leaf which in turn makes it burn longer / hotter.
    Sounds logical. I figured this much, but I just wanted to make sure. I think 40 was a little too small for my liking anyways, so I probably won't have to worry about this too much. Thanks Judo!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    howtobass:
    JudoChinX:
    Sounds logical. I figured this much, but I just wanted to make sure. I think 40 was a little too small for my liking anyways, so I probably won't have to worry about this too much. Thanks Judo!
    dont give up on smaller rings. yes, they burn hotter, but they also have a better wrapper to filler ratio and have overall more flavor that comes from the wrapper. if you slow down when you smoke a small ring cigar then you will not get smoke that is as hot.

another thing that helps is if you have a softer draw. if you draw softly the air moves slower and is exposed to less oxygen per second and it wont burn as hot.

smoking a small ring is a different animal, but it is well worth it.
    kuzi16:
    howtobass:
    JudoChinX:
    dont give up on smaller rings. yes, they burn hotter, but they also have a better wrapper to filler ratio and have overall more flavor that comes from the wrapper. if you slow down when you smoke a small ring cigar then you will not get smoke that is as hot.

another thing that helps is if you have a softer draw. if you draw softly the air moves slower and is exposed to less oxygen per second and it wont burn as hot.

It's funny that you say that. Although I wasn't a big fan of the smaller size, it was my favorite so far taste/flavor wise. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it more? I'll keep pressing and see what happens. Thanks Kuzi.
  • kuzi16:
    dont give up on smaller rings. yes, they burn hotter, but they also have a better wrapper to filler ratio and have overall more flavor that comes from the wrapper...smoking a small ring is a different animal, but it is well worth it.

I've found that it depends on the cigar. Smaller ring gauges might have a more equal filler to wrapper ratio, but "better" is all in the tastebuds of the beholder.

Sometimes the large amount of filler is what gives a cigar it's unique profile that you enjoy. I enjoy larger ring gauges for ease of draw, smoke output, temperature, and flavor.

It really depends on the stick and how you smoke it. There's no right or wrong vitola. Only what you like and dislike.

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    howtobass:
    JudoChinX:

+1 Well said Kuzi. Patience pays off with smaller ring sticks, they are less forgiving to over-puffing than their fat ring gauge counterparts. Many people write them off due to this but they can be some of the tastiest sticks, especially with a great wrapper.
    drpepperdude:
    kuzi16:
    dont give up on smaller rings. yes, they burn hotter, but they also have a better wrapper to filler ratio and have overall more flavor that comes from the wrapper...smoking a small ring is a different animal, but it is well worth it.

I've found that it depends on the cigar. Smaller ring gauges might have a more equal filler to wrapper ratio, but "better" is all in the tastebuds of the beholder.

Sometimes the large amount of filler is what gives a cigar it's unique profile that you enjoy. I enjoy larger ring gauges for ease of draw, smoke output, temperature, and flavor.

It really depends on the stick and how you smoke it. There's no right or wrong vitola. Only what you like and dislike.

i didnt say that the flavor was better. i said that the wrapper to filler ratio was better; as in there is more wrapper to filler. this was not a statement of opinion. it was a statement of fact. ... maybe poorly worded, but there is no way around the truth behind it.
    i still stand by my statements.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    CAcigarguy007:
    kuzi16:
    howtobass:
    JudoChinX:

+1 Well said Kuzi. Patience pays off with smaller ring sticks, they are less forgiving to over-puffing than their fat ring gauge counterparts. Many people write them off due to this but they can be some of the tastiest sticks, especially with a great wrapper.
    +2 I agree. I have some with a ring size of 38. They are actually more flavorful to me than the toro and robusto size. I don't have any burn issues and can get an hour out of these bad boys if I'm patient and don't mind burning my fingers on the nub. And they've been very consistent in quality, flavor and construction. To me, they are well worth the price.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only had one small Gage didn't like it but I think it was short filler. I've got 2 more in my humi ones a Cuban but from what I've read on it it's a short filler also. So one of these days curiosity will get the best of me and I'll give it a try.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    drpepperdude:
    kuzi16:

i didnt say that the flavor was better. i said that the wrapper to filler ratio was better; as in there is more wrapper to filler. this was not a statement of opinion. it was a statement of fact. ... maybe poorly worded, but there is no way around the truth behind it.

Kuzi, I bolded the part I think may have been mis-interpreted. I've said it many times, and I think we're in agreement, that a higher wrapper/filler ratio does not mean better. I've also observed somewhat of a blind adherence of some that more wrapper equals better flavor, which goes contrary to my experiences. Anyway, just posting something I noticed and throwing in an opinion nobody asked for. Big Smile [:D]
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:
    drpepperdude:
    kuzi16:

Kuzi, I bolded the part I think may have been mis-interpreted. I've said it many times, and I think we're in agreement, that a higher wrapper/filler ratio does not mean better. I've also observed somewhat of a blind adherence of some that more wrapper equals better flavor, which goes contrary to my experiences. Anyway, just posting something I noticed and throwing in an opinion nobody asked for. Big Smile [:D]
    Just because the opinion isn't asked for doesn't mean it isn't appreciated brother! I think it was Voltaire that said "While I may not agree with you're opinion, I will defend to the death you're right to say it." Trust me man, I, as well as many others, value what you have to say along with everyone else on here :) -- Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:
    drpepperdude:
    kuzi16:

yes. it means that there is more flavor from the wrapper just like you said. if its more flavor from a bad wrapper, well... then thats a problem.
    now that i think of it, i should probably mention the other part od your posts that have been overlooked.

there are a few cigars out there that i LIKE in a larger format.
    the 5 vegas series A is a prime example. that does very well in a small ring.
    the Davidoff Maduro does better at the robusto or the toro than the corona.
    JdN Antano does better in 54 than the 38 of the lancero

yes there is a "better" wrapper to filler ratio, but the higher ratio doesnt work in favor there.
    Thanks! I'll have to keep those in mind and give them a try.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    kuzi16:
    now that i think of it, i should probably mention the other part od your posts that have been overlooked.

there are a few cigars out there that i LIKE in a larger format.
    the 5 vegas series A is a prime example. that does very well in a small ring.
    the Davidoff Maduro does better at the robusto or the toro than the corona.
    JdN Antano does better in 54 than the 38 of the lancero

yes there is a "better" wrapper to filler ratio, but the higher ratio doesnt work in favor there.
    I will agree with all of those examples (except the Davidoff... simply because I've never had a Davidoff). I think sometimes we overlook the fact that just because the wrapper is the "showcase" leaf, it isn't the only one adding magic to the blend. There are many cigars I prefer in corona, but there are just as many that I prefer in robusto...

with lanceros, or other small RG cigars, I think that you do have to change the way you smoke it to better suit the cigar. With a big (I consider anything over 52 to be big) cigar, you may need more pull to get all the tobaccos properly combusting. That same "tug" would over heat a lancero, though, in many instances. Generally, when smoking a lancero or other small RG cigar, I will allow for more resting time between puffs, and I almost never double puff... it's just not needed in most cases. ALL cigars (imho) taste better with the smoke being as cool as possible. In order to keep the smoke cool on a slender cigar, I make subtle changes in the way I draw the cigar.

I do this with every cigar that I smoke, really. I am more of a cigar pleaser than a dedicated style smoker. I find that most cigars have a certain sweet spot in the draw and resting time that, when found and catered to, can enhance the overall experience of the smoke.

I guess bottom line is this... if you can feel heat in the smoke, it is smoking too hot. It may not be your "fault", but chances are, you CAN do something to improve the situation. Don't be afraid to get to know your cigars, and make love to them... not everything needs 2 quick puffs before a long draw... some cigars smoke much better when a single, gentle draw is used.

Keep in mind that what I am saying is my OPINION, not fact... but that is my 2 cents.

oh, and always trust kuzi and doc on these matters, they have a ton of experience!