Home Cigar 101

Organizing my sticks

y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
My humidor is fast becoming a cluttered mess, in terms of how I have my sticks organized. At first I tried sorting them by brand, but now I got too many different brands in there to make this effective. Thinking sorting them by wrapper is probably the way to go.

What's everyone's opinion on this?

Comments

• PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    My top trays are one layer, so I have em set up with what i like or have been wanting to try soon, so they are an easy see and grab. Underneath in the dividers I have it set up in sections of: My favs and what I know is always good, Yard gars, Stuff I havent tried, and over sized sticks that wont fit in their sections.

IDK if its the best set up, but it deff works for me.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    No organization to mine at all except the top tray has what I am planning to smoke for the week. Everything in the bottom is just waiting their turn
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    I have some drawers in the humi plus some removeable drawers with dividers. I should really post a picture or two but I am lame.
  • greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    Mine are sorted by: Everyday smokes; Good; Better; Best.
  • Mine are sorted by favs and likes on top level, turds and other randoms hidden below so no one can see. The problem with a rounded glass top. Have to hide my turds out of the way
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    in my smoking humidor: newest cigars at the bottom. oldest on top.

in my aging humidors:
    the bottom layers are cigars that i want to get as many years as i can, coffin boxes, and tubes.
    the next layers are rare cigars, or cigars that i am aging because they do better with a bit of time
    top layers are cigars that have age on them and i want to move to the smoking humidor as soon as there is room.
    i now have 3 aging humidors and one smoking humidor.

• Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    In my versailles I have about 75 singles of ones that are ready to smoke.
    In the cooler I have them organized by brand for the most part with a few boxes containing randoms, but the boxes don't have tops, they are just for stacking.
  • In my smoking humi I have what is free to smoke on the top shelf and just refill it from the bottom a few times a week. Things are in the bottom right to left newest to oldest. So they mover to the left then up top. Bottom is starting to get empty, but hope fully I can restock soon. My ageing humi top shelf is the my fathers I got for our baby one comes out a year at his birthday. Then the rest of the shelfs sticks are stocked together. I have my aging Armadas next to my SL and so on.
  • howtobasshowtobass Posts: 589
    I've been debating this, and I still don't know how I want to arrange mine....
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Well I have 1 humi that i put sticks in that I can just grab whenever I go to smoke next. For aging I have a cooler with cigar boxes in it seperating them, by wrappers, brands and what not....the ones I want to keep in there for awhile I put them in the bottom, and the ones that I could easily go to next is on top.....
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    I have two aging humidors that are full. They are organized by date, not by wrapper. I do tend to keep my sungrowns and maduros together and camaroons and connecticuts together in there. My cabinet, everything on the bottom in boxes is for aging. Everthing on the shelves in the middle are for special days. Everthing on the top is stuff I have boxes of and have no room else where. So they are there. I have a few that are out of place right now on the top shelf. Because I have no room. But some of them are for aging. And I have a travel humidor that I got from Goldy, thanks Sir. I lined it with spanish cedar and I keep that for when I want to smoke something. Everything is by date in my Ipod, technology is something else....

• KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    I have three humis going (well, two humis, and a bucket for aging) - as well as two small humis for overflow - usually have 280-330+ sticks on hand.
    Microsoft Excel is my friend........and here's how I do it.
    I have my two traditional humis "divided" into 4 sections - top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right.
    My bucket has 5 boxes in it labeled A,B,C,D, and E, as well as a big tray, and then some loose sticks/bundles.

When sticks come in (I don't buy boxes yet) they get logged into Excel first.
    All sticks get tagged and inserted into three separate Worksheets, by Name (alphabetical order) Date In, and Location - (but it's all on one excel doc.)
    Then they go off to a humi, or the bucket.

So when I want to smoke, I can look at my sticks by Name, or by Date, and decide what I want to smoke, then I look in the Location worksheet and I know exactly where the stick is, grab it and smoke it. Then I make a few notes about it for myself (in the Name worksheet).

Works good for me.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now mine are just organized by space to get as many in my 50ct humi as I can I don't usually get in there except when I'm looking for something to send to someone. The rest I've got in some jars I got from wallmart that work great.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Whether it's my smoking humi, aging humi or cooler I organize by size. There is no better way to cram as many as possible in there. My aging humi is the only one I'm not constantly rifling through and that one is organized by size and by wrapper so touching cigars have the least affect on their neighbors.
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    I store by size as well. Longest to shortest. Works perfect except when I want a churchill I gotta dig it out then reorganize. Which is kinda fun anyway, I like playin with my cigars.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    For me, I have my cabinet which is full of all my boxes but I do have a few trays that have overflow of cigars that I have boxes of. I have a 300 cound dome that is full of opus x's. and it also houses a few between the lines. Other than that, that's it. I have another humi which has all my gurkha cognac cigars. Then I have another 150 count which holds all the odds and ends and extras and those that I plan on smoking soon. All and all I have too many cigars. My cabinet is almost out of room, in fact I had to store mulitple boxes in a coolerore. lol.