Home Cigar 101

Herf-a-dor - air travel - interesting problem?

jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
I just traveled from Montana (elevation 4,000 ft) to Texas (elevation 100) via air. When I got to my destination I couldn't open my Herf-a-dor (10 count).... seems the pressure sucked it so tight and it is really air tight so I used a screw driver to pry it open (with a big wooosh) Anyone else ever have this problem ? Is it the air travel or just elevation change? Thanks !

Comments

• scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    I feel like the extreme altitude change and the airtight herf-a-dor being the culprits here.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is interesting, though I've never heard of it it does sound likely.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Its the elevation change. If its an airtight package, the pressure will have an affect. The air trapped will expand with an incline in elevation and compress on decline. Same affect in water with depth and pressure.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Always happens to me when I fly. I usually use my keys or a quarter to open it. That's with it in my carry on too
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    yup... this is actually why i like those things. the seal is amazing on them. cigars can last a long time in there with no humidification device.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    That happened to me when I went to Vegas this year... I thought my 15 cigars were not going to be able to make the debauchery about to happen, then a sudden "WHOOSH" and I was smoking in no time!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Actually it comes from the pressurization and depressurization of the cabin I think.
    docbp87:
    Actually it comes from the pressurization and depressurization of the cabin I think.
    Or a fat baggage handler sits on my shlt...
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Lasabar:
    docbp87:
    Is this where you got the inspiration for your special fart blending technique lassie?
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    ENFIDL:
    Lasabar:
    docbp87:
    Is this where you got the inspiration for your special fart blending technique lassie?

Adds totally new meaning to " box pressed " especially if said baggage handler is female LMAO !!!
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    jadelt:
    I just traveled from Montana (elevation 4,000 ft) to Texas (elevation 100) via air. When I got to my destination I couldn't open my Herf-a-dor (10 count).... seems the pressure sucked it so tight and it is really air tight so I used a screw driver to pry it open (with a big wooosh) Anyone else ever have this problem ? Is it the air travel or just elevation change? Thanks !

Yup. Same thing when I went to Mexico. No big deal. Just pryed it open like you said.
    gmill880:
    ENFIDL:
    Lasabar:
    docbp87:

Adds totally new meaning to " box pressed " especially if said baggage handler is female LMAO !!!
    **** JOKE!!!! 2pts to GENE!
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I often travel with a marine "pelican" case for my electronics, similar to the herfadors. These actually have a release valve to allow the pressure to equalize.