Home Cigar 101

Coolerador

handypantzhandypantz Posts: 86
Hey guys needing some input on a coolerador. What size and how you guys setup your coolers. I've thought about a bigger cooler with gladware containers in them....any ideas would be welcome....thanks

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I saw something really cool on some other website, a guy was making a neat coolerdor. He purchased a large cooler, not sure how big exactly, but it was probably a 100 quart or larger. Anyway, he took a bunch of old cedar cigar boxes and broke them down and used them to line the interior of the cooler, so that is was a bit more like a humidor... I guess he got the boxes from his local tobacconist for free or really cheap. The finished product was pretty cool looking, he had put in shelving and stood the cooler up lengthwise so that it opened like a fridge.

Well, that's kind of off-topic, but I think what you are talking about would work. As for the size, it really depends on how much you want to store in it, and to kinda figure out the sizing, a 100 qt. cooler is big enough for about 150 cans + ice, so something that size would be ideal for box storage, whereas something smaller like a 60 qt. would be good for individuals or trays. I don't think you can really go wrong with this, so I'd say take your idea and run with it.

Joe
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Ha thats funny, I built a tupperdor today. I just posted this on another thread put I'll discuss here as well. I bought a "cake" tupperware container about 18" x 10" and got a couple old cigar boxes from the local B&M I bought a hygrometer and a couple sticks so he didn't charge me for the boxes(just go for basic cedar boxes not anything fancy and they will give them to you fairly cheap or free). I got RP Edge boxes. I broke up the boxes and laid a floor and walls inside the tupperware and stuck my cigar oasis in to season. I think you could do the same with a cooler. I'm guessing this will hold about 150 cigars enough to get me through my overflow right now.
    Joe I also saw that coolerdor pretty sweet!
  • bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    Coolers are good options for adding a lot of space without the big price tag of large humidors. If you have empty boxes, throw em in there. Also don't forget a humidification device....most of the guys here will recommed beads. If the cooler has a little spout on the side, probably keep it open to allow some air circulation. If it doesn't, make sure to open the lid here and there to get some fresh air in every once in a while. Also if you do use the gladware containers inside the cooler, make sure they're not sealed all the way as to allow so humidity into them. Good Luck!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i wouldnt leave the spout open myself; only because i would open it once a day to check on the humidity and enough air exchange would occure then. If you open it one to two times a week you should be fine. not that much air really needs to exchange. Most of us are obsessive about humidity so im sure it would be a simaler situation for us all.
  • ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    If your concerned about air circulation you can use one of those "Oust" fans (of course without the smelly stuff).
    ashmaster:
    If your concerned about air circulation you can use one of those "Oust" fans (of course without the smelly stuff).
    LOL By using the smelly stuff you could have homemade Acids ;)
    another option is to use a fan for a computer. you can run it off a 9 Volt, or you can (depending on your skills with tools) drill through the cooler and run some power to the inside. just make sure the hole is air tight when all is said and done. this is where youd get the power for your oasis also. (assumeing that its a LARGE cooler. )
    Kuzi, the oasis comes with a super thin power strip you can close a cooler lid on it and it'd still be airtight. I have my airtight tupperdor lid closed on it. I've heard the computer fan being used a few times before.
    yes i know thats true, but many larger humidors have plugs inside for fans. its very handy that its there for the oasis.