Home Ratings & Reviews

Gurkha Titan

Hi guys - These have been on order for some time, but I got my shipment (the misbanded ones) in about a week ago.  For this particular batch, has anyone noticed that these do not cut cleanly?  I've been through three of these and while cutting the cap, the wrapper would just fall away from the cigar.  I used two different cutters, so I don't think that's the issue.  Maybe just loosely wrapped?  Maybe it's just mine.  Either way, it was a decent smoke but not too happy about the wrapper as it get stuck to my mouth.

*just read some older reviews (eg Exploding Gurkha..), so maybe it is in the construction.  FWIW I maintain an even 70% in my humi.

Comments

• KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    here come the Gurkha bashers................
    on a serious note - I find that a dry boxing helps the Titan.....a lot.
    Not sure it will help with the cutting issue you're having though........

• Sorry to be misleading. Not really bashing.  I've smoked several of their cigars and they're all good sticks. Crest being my favorite. I'm just curious if anyone else is having the wrapper issues with this particular batch (recent misbanded Titans).

Thanks for the tip, King.  I shall try dryboxing regardless.

kcowboy:

Sorry to be misleading. Not really bashing.  I've smoked several of their cigars and they're all good sticks. Crest being my favorite. I'm just curious if anyone else is having the wrapper issues with this particular batch (recent misbanded Titans).

Thanks for the tip, King.  I shall try dryboxing regardless.

no no.....I'm not saying you're bashing at all!
    It's just there's a few botl here who like to "tease" a bit about Gurkhas, so I was predicting that there would be a few posts that go something like this:

1) That happens to all Gurkhas......

2) Gurkhas always unravel and smoke poorly

3) Gurkhas are the most over-rated cigars............ in the history of the world.......of the universe....

and so on..............

I happen to like Titans...........but I do have burn issues on about 1 out of 5 despite my best efforts...............not the greatest in consistency in my limited experience (about 15 Titans smoked)
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Here I am. Just read any reviews of any Gurkhas on any of the big review sites... They speak for themselves.
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed Titan 1. I have that problem with Gurkhas as well. Very frustrating and they puff poorly after that. Even with great prices, I have decided to avoid them. Not worth the frustration.
    docbp87:
    Here I am. Just read any reviews of any Gurkhas on any of the big review sites... They speak for themselves.
    hahaha.....what took you so long Doc?
    I'll bet that secretly, you have a medium sized humi dedicated just to Gurkhas, that are only smoked on special occasions.......correct? lol

And I have to admit, now that I'm rapidly closing in on a year back on cigars after a long hiatus, that the Titan has been pushed down quite far on my list of favorites.......I don't even buy them anymore.................hmmm

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the titan is actually one of the Gurkhas that has given me the least amount of issues.

i have never had a burn problem with them in any way.
    however, i find that the flavor in them is very thin. there are very few "distinct" flavors in there and its all just a muddy mess. i have always said that i feel that this cigar would do very well in a smaller format.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    I had a Gurkha Titan out on the golf course one afternoon and thought it was a pretty good smoke. Of course, I played like sh*t, so I blamed that on the Gurkha, naturally.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Personal opinion, Titan is a good smoke but the Titan II's were far superior. Shame you cant find them anymore...

• i have recently recieved a few titans in samplers, how can you tell if they are the misbanded ones? are the bands different from a titan of past months/years?
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm split on the gurkha's some I thought were real good while I've had some that tasted like goats ass. I just feel they have too many different varieties. But as for the wrapper problem are they single cap? Maybe your cutting off too much.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    Personal opinion, Titan is a good smoke but the Titan II's were far superior. Shame you cant find them anymore...

Really? I may have more of them lying around, I'll pm you if you wanna work out a trade. I didn't like the 2's very much. I love the Titans though, I have well over 20 of them and have had them for years in the humi. I bring one out every so often and they are great. Not as good as the beast IMO, but great cigars.