Home Non Cigar Related

Hotel Scams on Vets

PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
I just had horrible experience with a hotel (link in a min) where they quoted me a rate, then charged me $50 more a night. Corporate say they cant help me. All BS. But this is my prob that I'm crying about, and getting stabby about. Here is the Other scam.

MILITARY PERSONNEL. If you check this places site, looking at regular rates and Military "Discounts" rates, they charge you MORE with a military ID. Upwards of $30 more for a regular room. http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/en-US/html/Availability?sid=xJ5pU.2OjROg0KE.3# Look around and see for yourself.

Comments

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should post it on Facebook and ask everyone to boycott.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Rhamlin:
    Should post it on Facebook and ask everyone to boycott.
    Yes.

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am down for a boycott. That is BS and we need to spread the word.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I would have never guessed this type of thing!! Usually most people act the other way. There is always that small group of people though.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I'll be damned... Ive got a retired USAF buddy who travels a lot that uses his mil discount with these people regularly and has NEVER run into this. More research is necessary... independently held property under their flag pulling some **** maybe?

If its true though, these people get NO more of my money EVER.

• skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I copied the link and it said page not found. Just doing a generic, random search around my area returned results that were considerably cheaper with the Mil discount. I think Glenn hit the nail on the head with it being an independant property riding the coat tail of the chain trying to scam a quick buck.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    If you want specifics, its the Sleep Inn in Baltimore, MD. 301 Fallsway. My point was I noticed they were doing it, and to be careful of other hotels that might be doing it.
    Ah gotcha. good lookin out
    PsychoSJG:
    If you want specifics, its the Sleep Inn in Baltimore, MD. 301 Fallsway. My point was I noticed they were doing it, and to be careful of other hotels that might be doing it.
    Oh, THAT piece of the puzzle explains A LOT!

Baltimore is one of the major air travel hubs for the military (AF at least, or was when I was in a few years back). I would be willing to bet nearly every if not all of the hotels there have that sort of military "discount", because they know they've got the market cornered. Transiting troops have a choice - pay the exorbinant hotel price, or pay the INSANE cab fare AND cost yourself hours of sleep you could be getting going out of the area not to get hotel-gouged, only to wake up in a couple hours to do it all over again to catch your connecting flight.

I agree that this is a d!ck move by the hotel chain(s), but its low-hanging fruit for them. Cities with pro sporting events always jack up prices during the dates around the event... thanks to the military using Baltimore as a hub, its like a major sporting event for the hotels there YEAR ROUND.

The Sniper:
    Transiting troops have a choice - pay the exorbinant hotel price, or pay the INSANE cab fare AND cost yourself hours of sleep you could be getting going out of the area not to get hotel-gouged, only to wake up in a couple hours to do it all over again to catch your connecting flight.

Glenn, when you were in, did they issue you a Government Travel Card? They gave each of us a credit card that the AF picked up the bill on to use for hotels, cabs, excess baggage fees and all that happy travel stuff.
    Yep. Which only makes problems like this worse - GI just gets back to the States from being overseas for God knows how many months and has to layover overnight in Baltimore, and he has this way cool travel card that Uncle Sugar gives him for his travel expenses while telling him to make sure he asks for the government rate whenever he uses it... does that GI (me on several occasions BTW, not throwing stones here) honestly give a **** whether his first night back in a decent bed in the greatest country on earth costs $50 or $250 when Uncle Sugar is really picking up the tab anyway?

And did I just win the title of LONGEST RUN-ON SENTENCE IN FORUM HISTORY OR WHAT??? LOL

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Two questions, why did you agee to pay that and 2, why didn't you call your cc company and dispute the charge? Soun like BS to me.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Two questions, why did you agee to pay that and 2, why didn't you call your cc company and dispute the charge? Soun like BS to me.
    The gf was paying and they charged the card before showing the bill. I demanded the bill and saw the bs. Didnt sign for it though. It's currently being handled, but if they try more bs, ill gladly dispute it.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Damn, that really blows man. Good luck btw.