Home Non Cigar Related

New age ways kids do math

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
are you effin kidding me. How the hell are you supposed to help your kids do math when they do it in the stupidest and most confusing way ever. Its no wonder kids are so sally these days, to much thought into things. Keep it simple.

They multiply by doing a cross hatch or some *** that makes no sense...homework since 3:30..its now 7:30...raining and crappy outside and I want to light a stick and pour a glass!!!!

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Tell 'em to forget that junk and just do it the right way; they'll get A's while the rest of the class gets a C with a curve

EDIT - holy f.uck nuts, I just looked this piece of *** up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5F7g2ZbKjA

How the hell's a kid supposed to do this ***? It takes ten times as long doing this *** than either multiplying it out

x
    ------

***, what the hell ever happened to using **** numbers, or just memorizing the multiplication tables?
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    xmacro:
    Tell 'em to forget that junk and just do it the right way; they'll get A's while the rest of the class gets a C with a curve

EDIT - holy f.uck nuts, I just looked this piece of *** up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5F7g2ZbKjA

How the hell's a kid supposed to do this ***? It takes ten times as long doing this *** than either multiplying it out

x
    ------

***, what the hell ever happened to using **** numbers, or just memorizing the multiplication tables?
    EXACTLY!!!!!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    That's just retarded. Are teachers requiring kids to do it this way?
    j0z3r:
    That's just retarded. Are teachers requiring kids to do it this way?
    yup, my two oldest do it that way. And even better when I asked him what pi was he said its a button on his caculator.... :/
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is just crazy, I'll have to ask my daughter if they do this at her school.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    WTF.... that video made no sense.

im no math wiz, but i had that done in my head before the damn grid was drawn out.

that actually makes math harder than it needs to be. seriously.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Had my eldest daughter come to me asking for help with her math homework a while back. Asked her what she was doing, she told me, and I told her how to do it (the way I learned it).

Daughter: Thats not how they told us to do it in class!

Me: How did they tell you to do it (and she showed me).

Me: Ive never seen that before.

Daughter: But thats the way they taught us.

Me: But my way is easier, and it gets the right answer

Daughter: But thats not the way they taught us!!!

Me: Have it your way. When you're ready to learn how to do it my way, come find me.

An hour and a half later she came back to me, willing to listen, and had it down in about five minutes. What the he11 are they teaching our kids these days, when the process is more important than the result??? And its like this in EVERY ASPECT OF THEIR MATH HOMEWORK.

• djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    Math is for the birds, I am teaching my kids to subnet before Math.
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:

x
    ------

That video is ridiculous! Why take time to draw that out when you could just do the freaking math! I wonder what will happen to calculators if they keep going that way lol.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • pbchevopbchevo Posts: 712
    what in gods green earth is that????? the percent of drop outs increased lol
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Holy S***....took 3 minutes to do a 10 sec (if that) math problem....haven't seen that yet from helping my oldest....

but speaking of calculators...my oldest son in 10 and is encouraged to use them for his math...it's a real shame...

• BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    That video made me get genuinely pissed off! I was kicked out off my 9th grade math class (where I was actually taking pre-calc w/the seniors) because I couldn't show my work... EVEN THOUGH I WAS GETTING EVERY SINGLE ANSWER RIGHT!!!

this is more of a **** art lesson than a math class! WTF??
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    That video made me get genuinely pissed off! I was kicked out off my 9th grade math class (where I was actually taking pre-calc w/the seniors) because I couldn't show my work... EVEN THOUGH I WAS GETTING EVERY SINGLE ANSWER RIGHT!!!

this is more of a **** art lesson than a math class! WTF??
    I was a math wiz too. Constant testing, knowing math I wasnt taught yet, doing all the work in my head. This method seems like the most complicated and time consuming way possible. Try working a physics formula with this. You'd be so focused on the grid that youll lose focus on the important details, and the space probe ends up in the sun.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    What in the world? Is this a Chinese plot to overthrow us or something?
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    What the hell is this?
    Freaking really... I've never done well in math but this is just stupid.

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    What the freakin' sweet jesus was that crap? As if kids don't have a hard enough time with the abstractness of math anyway, now they'll have NO IDEA what the hell they're doing.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah! My daughter is never doing that! It's kinda interesting that it works out like that and I could see how it would be a useful tool with kids with severe learning disabilities, but how about just doing math through units? 12 x 10= 120; 12 x 3= 36; 120 + 36 = 156 I'm with Kuzi that it took all of 2 seconds to figure that one out. Or how about just memorize your damn multiplication tables and you'd already know that 12 x 12 = 144. Now just add another one! I guess there's no such thing as the associative process anymore!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    Yeah! My daughter is never doing that! It's kinda interesting that it works out like that and I could see how it would be a useful tool with kids with severe learning disabilities, but how about just doing math through units? 12 x 10= 120; 12 x 3= 36; 120 + 36 = 156 I'm with Kuzi that it took all of 2 seconds to figure that one out. Or how about just memorize your damn multiplication tables and you'd already know that 12 x 12 = 144. Now just add another one! I guess there's no such thing as the associative process anymore!
    Can you rewrite that in text-speak so I can understand?
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    My 9 year old daughter came home with some simple math homework late this spring. I was nice enough to try and help her. My wife was at her wits end.

I left high school as a top math student in a three state area. Won math, science, geography, knowledge bowl contests my whole time in highschool (7-12 grade where I come from).

I am helping here and show a very easy and simple way to do her little math problems that make great logical sense. She stared at me like I had a third eye in my forehead. I asked her what the issue was. She tells me her teacher never told her to do it that way. She showed me how it was supposed to be done. I told her that was the most screwed up math I have ever seen. Tried to help her more but she was confused and I didn't want to push it.

The next day she comes how and said her teacher helped her do it. Her exact words 'I asked my teacher to help me because you didn't know how to do math.'

I was so mad my wife had to keep me from the phone. I was going to call that teacher and let her know how bad she is **** up our children. Not the teachers fault, they are told to teach her that way but OMFG. SO DUMB.
    3/4 of all my kids teachers are flipping idiots. Worksheets come how with correct answers marked wrong. Spelling tests with things corrected as right when they are clearly misspelled. I have to bite my tongue every time we go to conferences.
    The best line ever "well, we do not have as much time as needed with every student. We have had a number of *whispers* illegal families come here this summer and none of them speak English, so they take up more of our time.

The wife had to walk me out of the school when she seen me turn purple.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    deejmemixx:
    3/4 of all my kids teachers are flipping idiots. Worksheets come how with correct answers marked wrong. Spelling tests with things corrected as right when they are clearly misspelled. I have to bite my tongue every time we go to conferences.
    The best line ever "well, we do not have as much time as needed with every student. We have had a number of *whispers* illegal families come here this summer and none of them speak English, so they take up more of our time.

The wife had to walk me out of the school when she seen me turn purple.
    We have our teachers spend 50% of their time trying to get students who don't speak english to pass reading and math tests the state requires for funding. The other 50% **** up our kids brains with bad math.