Home Cigar 101
Options

Humidor Help???

jkallen83jkallen83 Posts: 142
ok, so i got my cigars in a bag with a humi care pack...........

the humidor is in its seasoning process, but how do i know when its ready?

i calibrated the digital hydrometer and put it in the box last night, the box is holding a steady 90% humidity.

i know this is too high but not sure if that is because its still seasoning or because its empty. will it go down once i add cigars or do i need to do something different?

Comments

• Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    It will go down once you add cigars, if you add enough of them. However, loading up your humidor won't make it drop 20% rH instantly. That'll take some time. You can also throw in some beads to help soak up the moisture. I'd recommend using a tupperware bowl with that humicare pack. Let the humidor settle out to where you like, then throw in the cigars.
  • Options
    jkallen83jkallen83 Posts: 142
    ok i was thinking that maybe adding cigars would drop the humidity. just wanted to make sure i was on the right track.

i read online somewhere about seasoning being from 80% to 90% during seasoning is normal and good, but couldnt remember if it would go down on its own or when cigars are added.

ive already had to REMOVE my shotglass of water due to it being humid and the water was no longer obsorbing in the wood, u could see it trying to puddle as wet spots inside, so i removed the shotglass and now only have the humidification circle that came with it in there.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i would let it drop down a bit to 75% or so before adding cigars. 90% is a big drop and the cigars will not make that drop. that is setting yourself up for mold.