Home General Discussion

To smoke or not to smoke? How long do you wait???

ok, like i said, i got my sampler from the sprint sale today. of course i smoked the gurkha beast.....WOW. stout.

anyway, just wondering if yall smoke right away or do u age them a while? in other words, do u smoke a fresh ordered cigar or prefer it to sit in the humidor a while?

and if you do let it sit, how long do u wait before smoking???

Comments

• ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    What I do is if I want to try a specific cigar I like to get a 5'er of said stick. Then try one right off the truck, rott, then one at a month, 3 months, 6 months and one at 12 months to see where I like it the most during it's aging process. For example I love the Diesel UC through all of them but it keeps getting better the longer I age it. Take the Diesel Unlimited I like it between 3-6 months the most. ROTT-3 months doesn't do it for me and the same goes for after 6 months.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Unless it's a special stick that I know I want to age before I buy it, I have no rules. I smoke what i want. That's why I am always happy. Waiting is rewarding... but so is instant gratification...
  • AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Posts: 648
    any new cigars from mail order have to sit at least a few weeks in my humi before I'll grab one...just a general rule to make sure I'm not going to waste a stick due to humidity issues from shipping.

From there, I usually smoke the cheaper sticks at the 2-5 month mark and wont dare touch anything premium that has under a year on it.
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    What I usually do is once I get them I let them sit in my cooler for at least two weeks. Then I will move some to my smoking humi if there is any room in there. Most of the time the sticks end up sitting in the cooler for months before I move them to my smoking humi. Every now and then I will pull something from the cooler just because I need to try it or I just want a particular stick (MOW Puro). I have never grabed anything ROTT or anything with less than two weeks on it just yet. I still have so much to smoke and not much time during the week for more than 1 stick.

Rob
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Smoke the sampler all the first day and place another order if it was good :)
  • For me it depends on two things. First, how long did it take to get to my door (in this case yours) and in what temps? I know if I order before 3 pm on a business day it is usually at my house the next day unless it is a weekend. This way I know the cigars haven't been sitting in extreme temps for very long. Second, if it's a cigar I have been wanting to try got at least a 5 pack I will smoke one after it has sat in my humidor for a day. I don't know if that short rest did anything but it makes me feel better. The rest I will let sit for a month or longer if I can wait.
  • If I have multiple of what I order I almost always smoke one the day or day after I get them. Then let them sit for a bit. If its just one of a certain kind, it rests in my humi til I feel the urge to fire it up. Usually give them atleast 2 weeks though.
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    When I know that I have sticks coming and whether its one's that I have been looking forward to trying to love em already I have to just keep reminding myself "they need to rest after their journey" lol. I find a nice dark place in the bottom of the humidor and just forget about them for a spell.

When the time is right or when Im recharging the beads I start scrounging around and see one that has af ew months on or so I figure its time to turn one to ash.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Bottom line is you def need to give sticks some rest time after travel.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    I smoke um when I got um. When my coolidor is finally up I will start some aging.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    anything through the mail gets a rest period. anything from the B&M is anything goes.

age... well, i buy faster than i smoke. i cant help but age.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to get at least a couple weeks on a stick but I'll usually pull one out after a couple days in the humi.