Home Cigar 101

Just looked the beads up

JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
And its freakin $10 for shipping! I feel that I might just save up and get an electronic humidifier. Idk I guess I am just a cheapskate lol.
"Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky

Comments

• Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I hear ya man, I just ordered mine last week. However it is 2-3day shipping which is why the cost is so high, but I also went in on it with 3 people(4lbs total) so we saved $1/lb which helped...but I agree, it is outrageous
  • AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Posts: 648
    Saint....if you're looking in the direction of the Cigar Oasis XL, I have one that I'm not using. I used it for about 6 months and then switched to beads. If youre interested, I'll plug it in...make sure it still works and then send it your way. PM me and let me know my man.

-Tony G.
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    AJGARLETT:
    Saint....if you're looking in the direction of the Cigar Oasis XL, I have one that I'm not using. I used it for about 6 months and then switched to beads. If youre interested, I'll plug it in...make sure it still works and then send it your way. PM me and let me know my man.

-Tony G.
    PM Incoming.
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    buy em from any pet supply store. Silica sand cat litter. i paid less than $5 for a few pounds of it and it keeps my humi dead on at 65% every day of the week.
  • bdmauk24bdmauk24 Posts: 74
    krieger, Whoa, cheap cat litter really works? Care to elaborate. i'm a noob, so you just put some of the cat litter in a bag in your humidor? ever have to add distilled water? any other issues?
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    bdmauk24:
    krieger, Whoa, cheap cat litter really works? Care to elaborate. i'm a noob, so you just put some of the cat litter in a bag in your humidor? ever have to add distilled water? any other issues?
    I can't vouch for this method, but look for cat litter that's 100% unscented silica gel. Seems like many people go this route and have good luck with it. I just use conservagel despite high shipping costs. I look at my cigars as an investment of sorts and am happy to spend a few more bucks, even if it's simply for peace of mind.

Charging the litter would be the same as beads: a light spritz with distilled water, or a small container of distilled water in the humi (I prefer the latter method).
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    JudoChinX:
    Charging the litter would be the same as beads: a light spritz with distilled water, or a small container of distilled water in the humi (I prefer the latter method).

Not to step on your toes Judo, but I'd do a trial run without charging them first. When I got my beads, I charged them. Turns out they didn't need it and I was fighting super-high rH levels until I got them dried out. I'd see how they're reading and judge from there where or not they need any charging and by how much. Just my two cents!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JSaint:
    And its freakin $10 for shipping! I feel that I might just save up and get an electronic humidifier. Idk I guess I am just a cheapskate lol.

Who was it that charges that much for shipping? I got mine from Heartfelt Industries and I don't remember the shipping to be outrageous. Also, the guy who operates Heartfelt really works with us BORKS. I heartily recommend him.
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    JSaint:

Who was it that charges that much for shipping? I got mine from Heartfelt Industries and I don't remember the shipping to be outrageous. Also, the guy who operates Heartfelt really works with us BORKS. I heartily recommend him.
    I believe it was the Consevagel because they were cheaper.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Sorry but Heartfelt is just not cost competitive. There are a number of products offering the same properties for significantly less cost. Sure you can say the owner is a great guy blah blah blah but cost is cost. Conservagel.
    JSaint:
    jlmarta:
    JSaint:

I believe it was the Consevagel because they were cheaper.
    Conservagel's shipping is quite spendy, starts at $7 or $8 but it is 2-day shipping which does justify it and is better than the $5 shipping that takes 3-5 business days that some companies use
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bdmauk24:
    Works 100% and is PERFECT btw... just make sure it is the unscented, and straight silica stuff... simple is best, and no reason not to use it ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    The shipping is worth it. Heartfelt supports the troops, and their products are top notch.
  • bdmauk24bdmauk24 Posts: 74
    90+ Irishman:
    bdmauk24:
    Works 100% and is PERFECT btw... just make sure it is the unscented, and straight silica stuff... simple is best, and no reason not to use it ;)
    Well looks like I'm off to the pet store. $1.60/lb for cat litter, I mean humidification gel. 100% unscented silica gel. Actually wouldn't recommend it for a litter box. Fecal matter won't stick to the gel. ;p
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Enfidel is the expert on fecal matter.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Boveda Packs . Not the cheapest route but definitly IMHO the only way to go . Drop and forget . Impossible to screw up unless you dont use enough or leave to long .
    The packs are good, they dont have the longevity of beads, but they are a great way to humidify for 100ct humis and under
  • Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    They do indeed. Free shipping to FPO addresses.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    JudoChinX:
    bdmauk24:
    I can't vouch for this method, but look for cat litter that's 100% unscented silica gel. Seems like many people go this route and have good luck with it. I just use conservagel despite high shipping costs. I look at my cigars as an investment of sorts and am happy to spend a few more bucks, even if it's simply for peace of mind.

I find this interesting -- however kitty litter in my humi seems inherently wrong. Are these the same type beads as Heartfelt, and what are they rated at 65%?