Home Cigar 101

coolidor

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
Picked up a 48qt cooler today, a humidity monitor that detects the temp as well.... If my calculations are right I need around 7 ounces of humidity beads... is this the best route to go? Should I get 65% or 70% beads? Where do you get your beads?

Comments

• danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    Heartfelt and Conservagel are the most popular beads used, the later being cheaper. A quick google search should give you sites to order them from and I believe the heartfelt site has a calculator to let you know exactly what you need.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    65% gives you a better burn....get yourself a pound you'll need more...
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Diamondog:
    just ordered 65% and a lbs of it. Figured I could use it in my lil 20 stick desk, as all I have no is a puck with the green crap in it. Cant get a steady lvl in it.
  • danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    deejmemixx:
    Diamondog:
    just ordered 65% and a lbs of it. Figured I could use it in my lil 20 stick desk, as all I have no is a puck with the green crap in it. Cant get a steady lvl in it.
    Yeah toss that crap and use beads, or pretty much anything else for that matter.
    Easiest way to store them in the humi, get a pair of cheap nylons, cut the feet ends off and put the beads in use a twist tie to close....when you get the beads, its hard to eye it up but mist them with a sprayer with distilled water (I wouldnt fool around washing one out, buy a mister at the grocery store so its completely clean) spray down about 60% to 70% of the beads and throw them in....give it a few days, up to a week to even things out as long as humi properly seasoned, once the beads even the humi out it will stay pretty solid on RH and once in a while, pull them out give them a little misting and there good again...
    cant wait to get it up and going, I can then start to buy box's. So many assort. packs i want to get on cigarsprint thanks for the help guys.
  • AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Posts: 648
    deejmemixx:
    cant wait to get it up and going, I can then start to buy box's. So many assort. packs i want to get on cigarsprint thanks for the help guys.
    this was me...........many thousands of dollars ago! lol. have fun filling that cooler up, pretty soon....you're going to wonder why you wasted money on a 48qt, trust me on that. One thing I will say though, in cigar-land there is ALWAYS a deal to be had. Dont rush to fill that cooler up just because of a deal you think is too good to pass up, wait on sticks that you REALLY want to try. I know its hard and it sounds odd, but eventually all sticks can be had below MSRP if you are patient. A cooler full of awesome smokes that you're excited about is wayyy better than a cooler thats full of "good deals" Just my .02!!
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    AJGARLETT:
    deejmemixx:
    this was me...........many thousands of dollars ago! lol. have fun filling that cooler up, pretty soon....you're going to wonder why you wasted money on a 48qt, trust me on that. One thing I will say though, in cigar-land there is ALWAYS a deal to be had. Dont rush to fill that cooler up just because of a deal you think is too good to pass up, wait on sticks that you REALLY want to try. I know its hard and it sounds odd, but eventually all sticks can be had below MSRP if you are patient. A cooler full of awesome smokes that you're excited about is wayyy better than a cooler thats full of "good deals" Just my .02!!
    +1000....great advice and welcome to the forums....be patient...explore awhile before boxes....get what u want.....deals on c.com has filled most of my cooler(though boxes of favs don't hurt).....just sayin
    CvilleE:
    AJGARLETT:
    deejmemixx:
    +1000....great advice and welcome to the forums....be patient...explore awhile before boxes....get what u want.....deals on c.com has filled most of my cooler(though boxes of favs don't hurt).....just sayin
    I will start off getting samplers as I do not know what I fully like yet (besides ACIDS), starting with mild-med. to start with and maybe some stronger ones here and there.... anything on sprintcigar is better than buying them single here as I pay damn near 6 bucks a stick NO MATTER what it is (some below but not much) at the local shops. I can not even buy a box to get ceder going for under 5 bucks.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    CvilleE:
    AJGARLETT:
    deejmemixx:
    I will start off getting samplers as I do not know what I fully like yet (besides ACIDS), starting with mild-med. to start with and maybe some stronger ones here and there.... anything on sprintcigar is better than buying them single here as I pay damn near 6 bucks a stick NO MATTER what it is (some below but not much) at the local shops. I can not even buy a box to get ceder going for under 5 bucks.
    Be sure not to put acids wih non-infused cigars.
    phobicsquirrel:
    deejmemixx:
    CvilleE:
    AJGARLETT:
    deejmemixx:
    Be sure not to put acids wih non-infused cigars.
    yup
  • joshvoigtjoshvoigt Posts: 325
    I use about a half pound of 70 percent beads. They are conservagel. Work great so far. Just Google my friend.
    OK, so my temp just raised to 88 friggin degrees and my humidity is still at 71-72%. I have a little over a half pound 65% beads in there (should have 7 ounces, but more does not hurt from what i read). I have moved it around away from walls, heaters, etc and nothing is changing the temp..the last place obviously did no good.

what the hell do I do to get this down? Its been going for over a week now. Would a fan help? Thanks in advanced.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Put it outside where it's cold and let the temp drop. There should be NO WAY it could climb back up to 88 degrees unless it's sitting on an oil heater or something! That's insane...
    BigT06:
    Put it outside where it's cold and let the temp drop. There should be NO WAY it could climb back up to 88 degrees unless it's sitting on an oil heater or something! That's insane...
    thats what i thought, it was no where near a heater
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Check your batteries.. When my batteries go bad the display is 88
    batt. good but I am a dumb ass... was reading it wrong. The damn humidity was at 88%, one bag was pretty dry and the other soaking wet... took out the dry one and left the other in, it has dropped down to 71% now...will have to see if it drops to the 65% like the beads should. ugh....
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Glad you figured that one out.. It just seemed too strange that the temp. would be higher than the room it is in.. The cigars couldn't produce heat. You are on the way to solving the problem now.
    Well finally got everything pretty stable and loaded up. *wipes sweat off forehead*

super cool, brother. You're on the right path!
    BigT06:
    Thanks man, thanks for the sticks as well, now to work towards re paying everyone for the help.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    what kind of Hygrometer is that? looks pretty spiffy

love the set up... I have basically the same thing... set it up about a year ago... I was using tupeware with holes in it for organization, but I recently switched to cigar boxes... did you get treys made or are those boxes sans lids... nice work Bro!
    robbyras:
    what kind of Hygrometer is that? looks pretty spiffy

love the set up... I have basically the same thing... set it up about a year ago... I was using tupeware with holes in it for organization, but I recently switched to cigar boxes... did you get treys made or are those boxes sans lids... nice work Bro!
    just boxes, took off the lids a local shop gave them too me when I bought a couple sticks from them. Its just a normal humidity gauge, has the temp as well. got it at walmart for around 10 bucks, trying to talk my father in law to make me some nice stacking shelves for it though.
    deejmemixx:
    BigT06:
    Thanks man, thanks for the sticks as well, now to work towards re paying everyone for the help.
    You don't repay a welcoming gift... duh. That's why it's a gift. If I get anything in the mail from you, I will view it as an act of war, and handle it accordingly ;)
    BigT06:
    deejmemixx:
    BigT06:
    You don't repay a welcoming gift... duh. That's why it's a gift. If I get anything in the mail from you, I will view it as an act of war, and handle it accordingly ;)
    -.- *beavis voice* are you threateneneneneneing me?
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    deejmemixx:
    BigT06:
    Well Spoken Big T..Nice collidor!!!
  • bdmauk24bdmauk24 Posts: 74
    looks good. now off to start my own. and to think that i've been fretting over not having a humidor!
    bdmauk24:
    looks good. now off to start my own. and to think that i've been fretting over not having a humidor!
    awesome! It is pretty easy to get going...as long as you are not reading lvls wrongly
    Whats the temps in Wis???? Temp inside your home? do u have a basement? If so store there...fans are always good but not for cooling, for air circulation within...EDIT I checked temps there and its cool, unless your temp in home is really high you shouldnt be that high....sure your hygro is accurate?